Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Mauve & Purple Roses, What is your Favourite Rose

+6
maree
paulh
AutumnDamask
silkyfizz
jordan71
Dimity Cottage
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mauve & Purple Roses, What is your Favourite Rose Empty Mauve & Purple Roses, What is your Favourite Rose

Post by Dimity Cottage 27th September 2013, 07:38

I have a good size garden bed where I plant Yellow & Mauve Roses and accent plants, but I am looking for some Purple Roses, but they Must be a Real Purple nothing wishy washy. I need Roses that I can use on a structure that is approx. 2m high x 1m wide. Tall Bushes would be fine as well if I can train them against the frames. So please if you have a favourite let us know as these are hard to find and I am sure we can all do with some helpful imput.
Enjoy your Gardening. Mauve & Purple Roses, What is your Favourite Rose 3028820582
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2013-09-01

Back to top Go down

Mauve & Purple Roses, What is your Favourite Rose Empty Re: Mauve & Purple Roses, What is your Favourite Rose

Post by jordan71 27th September 2013, 07:55

Dianne try  Ebb tide , altho I have to say you wont get the true purple mauve in it till it ages . but a truly superb rose and the fragrance is fantastic

ebb tide
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

blackberrynip is magenta aging to purple you might like

big purple is another

rhapsody in blue
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Mauve & Purple Roses, What is your Favourite Rose Empty Re: Mauve & Purple Roses, What is your Favourite Rose

Post by Dimity Cottage 27th September 2013, 08:01

Jordan, Beautiful Roses, you have given me food for thought, I will do my homework on these that you have suggested. What is the Rose you use for your Avatar?
Cheers Mauve & Purple Roses, What is your Favourite Rose 931050920
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 27th September 2013, 08:14

my avatar is the squire ( David Austin rose)
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 27th September 2013, 11:26

I love mauve roses. I think my new favourite would have to be Barbra Striesand (this will only be her second year), closely followed by Dioressence. Stll love the flowers of Chartreuse de Palme but it's not that vigorous or floriferous. I have a young Ebb Tide but so far don't like it's dusty looking colour but I'm giving it time.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 27th September 2013, 12:49

Thanks so much Silkyfizz, I will put all that info into my Plant Diary, I need to consider the height these Roses will Grow too as well as Disease Resistance etc.
Jordan have you grown Squire and if so is it truly Mauve & what are its attributes.
Gosh I am off with the fairies for a couple of days, where are all our members.
Enjoy your Week End. Mauve & Purple Roses, What is your Favourite Rose 3028820582

The Squire

Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 27th September 2013, 18:31

hi Dianne, the squire if I had to describe it , it is rich crimson fading to mauve or purple rather all depends on its spot , I grow it in part shade and it seems to do well , it does get little black spot at the beginning of the season . its controllable though. the fragrance is very nice also, best not to prune it hard during the winter .

jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 27th September 2013, 18:33

Re: RHAPSODY IN BLUE
Here's a pic I took when in the UK (at Hever Castle). It really caught my eye and is one of very few mauve flowers on my Wish List.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 27th September 2013, 19:29

Oh Wow, Autumn, that is amazing. Such a huge area devoted to just one rose. Were there different colour zones throughout this garden?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 27th September 2013, 19:33

It is a lovely rose

jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh 27th September 2013, 23:21

I'm with Jordan, you can't go by Ebb Tide for a rich purple that stays true to its colour throughout its stages.
paulh
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 28th September 2013, 06:48

silkyfizz wrote:Oh Wow, Autumn, that is amazing. Such a huge area devoted to just one rose. Were there different colour zones throughout this garden?
Not "colour zones" per se but there were numerous large beds of roses. It's a very effective technique.
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 28th September 2013, 14:01

Jordan, just love the multi planting of RHAPSODY IN BLUE, must have been lovely to see it live. I really have a new found appreciation of Mauve and Purple Roses. They look so Royal to me. I think I am starting to like them more than I do Red. Thanks everyone for the ideas you have given me so far. Makes me want to take out the ones I ordered that the girl at the Online Nursery recommended to me as being Mauve. What do you think - they are - Angel Face, Blueberry Hill & Shocking Blue or would you call them Mauve.
Have a Great Week End.  Mauve & Purple Roses, What is your Favourite Rose 3028820582
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 28th September 2013, 21:55

Ahh Chartreusse De Parme , such a beautiful rose , such a beautiful fragrance , such a awfull bush , i've had two of these , they drove me nuts with black spot and the way they would defoliate , but when i think of the fragrance , i think that i must have another ....
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 28th September 2013, 23:05

Yes Maree, exactly so. I can't bear to get rid of it when I see its superb blooms and inhale that fragrance. Last season was its best yet, didn't defoliate, so I'm hoping for more of those flowers this season. Like this one...
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 29th September 2013, 06:22

Dimity Cottage wrote:Jordan, just love the multi planting of RHAPSODY IN BLUE, must have been lovely to see it live. I really have a new found appreciation of Mauve and Purple Roses. They look so Royal to me. I think I am starting to like them more than I do Red. Thanks everyone for the ideas you have given me so far. Makes me want to take out the ones I ordered that the girl at the Online Nursery recommended to me as being Mauve. What do you think - they are - Angel Face, Blueberry Hill & Shocking Blue or would you call them Mauve.
Have a Great Week End.  
There's a lot of tonal range in "Mauve"! I would class all those roses you mentioned as being a mauve. But they are different. Blueberry Hill - from what I recall - is quite similar to Rhapsody in Blue. (Someone who has both may correct me). Angel Face - depends on the weather a little. Mine is mauve but can get pinkish edges/cast to it. Shocking Blue - I don't have it but I recall it as mauve.

With colour it's worth remembering how much a difference the weather makes...
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 29th September 2013, 09:25

Silky , i'm thinking i just will have to plant another Chartreusse De Parme , its a small bush , so it would go well in the narrow garden bed i've got , perfect as a standard too , the last one i had was getting over shadowed by Firefighter so i pulled it out , but you are right its one rose i probably can't be without , even with all its misgivings ....
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 29th September 2013, 12:41

AutumnDamask wrote:
Dimity Cottage wrote:Jordan, just love the multi planting of RHAPSODY IN BLUE, must have been lovely to see it live. I really have a new found appreciation of Mauve and Purple Roses. They look so Royal to me. I think I am starting to like them more than I do Red. Thanks everyone for the ideas you have given me so far. Makes me want to take out the ones I ordered that the girl at the Online Nursery recommended to me as being Mauve. What do you think - they are - Angel Face, Blueberry Hill & Shocking Blue or would you call them Mauve.
Have a Great Week End.  
There's a lot of tonal range in "Mauve"! I would class all those roses you mentioned as being a mauve. But they are different. Blueberry Hill - from what I recall - is quite similar to Rhapsody in Blue. (Someone who has both may correct me). Angel Face - depends on the weather a little. Mine is mauve but can get pinkish edges/cast to it. Shocking Blue - I don't have it but I recall it as mauve.

With colour it's worth remembering how much a difference the weather makes...
Jordan you are right about the difference the weather makes to the colours as my Blueberry Hill is a pleasing Antique Mauve. Angel Face is a Dusty Pink and Shocking Blue is also more on the Pink Side but it was Mauver when it first bloomed for me. Also I suppose the sun here may be a little stronger and that could make a difference as well. I have some shrubs that have Blue flowers in the morning and are Mauve by the end of the day.
Isn't Mother Nature a Genius,
She always keeps us guessing.  Mauve & Purple Roses, What is your Favourite Rose 931050920
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 29th September 2013, 14:45

Maree it's tricky isn't it? A balancing act between pluses (and CdP has those in flower and fragrance) and the minuses (health, floriferousness - is that a word?). Spin that wheel and give it your best shot!
Dianne, yes I think roses within the mauve spectrum seem to be the most affected by the weather and season. They can intensify their mauve/purple tone, take on pink reddish tints, look creamy and rich or washed out and "muddy". I like the way they combine so well with other colours too. IMO they look rich in gentle weather and cool in summer. As long as they don't "cook" in heatwaves, nothing worse than a brown frizzled mess.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 29th September 2013, 19:23

Silky, Maree, Autumn & all of the members on this thread. I just love Chartreusse De Parme what a beautiful Rose, I think I will have to put another on my Wish List. I went out this afternoon to cut off Spent Roses and to my amazement my Blueberry Hill is the Palest of Pinks. We have had a hot & very windy day here today, so maybe that was a factor. And yes, NO brown Roses here unless that is their original colour.  Coming up Roses
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 29th September 2013, 21:36

Dianne, I'm glad you've discovered Chartreusse de Palme, it is indeed a sumptuous beauty. But be warned, she can be a heart breaker. But we are an optimistic bunch aren't we, easily seduced by drop dead beauty and a fragrance to die for.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 30th September 2013, 07:55

These are my only Mauves so far- this is why I need some ideas on Purples & Mauves for this garden, I do have quite a few yellows in there & Whites/Creams as well but room for some Purples to bring out the Yellows or Visa Vera.

SHOCKING BLUE

ANGEL FACE

BLUEBERRY HILL
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

Thanks so Much for your help..  Mauve & Purple Roses, What is your Favourite Rose 2023066572
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 30th September 2013, 07:58

blueberry hill is such a nice rose had mine for few years and it blooms and blooms
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 30th September 2013, 13:19

Alot of  people rate Barbara Streisand very high for flower and perfume not sure on healthwise tho.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 30th September 2013, 14:33

I'll have Ozroz's "Alethea". And my own scrumptiously fragrant 'Love Potion', which has almost everything except high centres. And Big Purple, which starts out crimson, then shifts into purple. Molto fragrante, but it deigns to bloom when the spirit moves it.

I most definitely would wish Angel Face on my worst enemy. What a scenic trap she is. For chemical sprayers only. I bet the sales of Mancozeb increase with every AF sold.

But there goes AutumnDamask, making a success of AF. The effrontery of it all probably sent the hard-working Bonica into a sulk, AD.
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next