Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

yellow leaves on ferdinand pichard

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

yellow  leaves on ferdinand pichard - Page 2 Empty Re: yellow leaves on ferdinand pichard

Post by jordan71 15th August 2012, 16:51

okay thanks its been put in a brand new pot and new potting mix

and thanks balinbear for all the info
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

yellow  leaves on ferdinand pichard - Page 2 Empty Re: yellow leaves on ferdinand pichard

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 16th August 2012, 06:09

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The photo above will show the feeder/hair roots on one of my roses John. This is what I was talking about in Jordan's photo.

Just as aside note the photo above of my rose was taken out of a tub with water and some liquid feed in it. The feeder roots have grown in water, so it is like hydroponics. The growth in the leaf and roots comes from the stored energies in the plant, the water, the atmosphere. This part might scare some, but, that rose has been in that situation for 1 month with only change of water and food. It will be planted today as I have worked out where it is to be grown.
So basically what I am saying you can't kill roses, unless you break the bud union, Roses are hardy.

Jordan, this is only my opinion, I would give that rose a very weak drink with a liquid feed as it has the feeder roots to take it up and this will also correct the yellowing IMO.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 16th August 2012, 06:21

thanks david will do
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 16th August 2012, 06:42

Jordan, make it weak, maybe 1/4 strength
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 16th August 2012, 06:58

i will david .. its now been re potted in an new pot and new potting mix
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 16th August 2012, 08:49

Jeff, I saw your black pot and thought maybe you might like to see what I do with mine to keep them cool; roses need cool roots. Black pots get hotter and therefore also dry out faster and need more water than terracotta coloured pots.

Here you see four roses and only the bushy one is actually planted in the ground (bushier only because it was planted earlier). I moved the leave mulch to show the pots; one in the shady corner and the others at equal distances apart. There are two more like that behind the tree.

[img][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

The mulch looks dry, but only about 5 cm down it’s very moist and cool. I used to put sticks and branches along the fence so that nothing fell through, but when I didn’t have the time one day, found that wasn’t actually necessary. I can mould the material around pots even if I don’t have enough to mulch up in between: I build little heaps around the pots and then water and squash it all into place, and whilst watering build up more material. When it dries, everything stays in place. I also burry my seedling trays and smaller pots with cuttings in leave mulch heaps.

I get between 3 and 5 industrial bags of lawn clipping and leave mulch per week delivered by the girl who mows my friend’s lawn. She’s only too eager to help out, because I save her long trips to the dump after work and the $ she pays there. I’ve done this since January to build layer cakes and get good soil for my roses, and now I started building up all the borders around the property with it as well.

Jac2
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 16th August 2012, 10:15

jeff who ?? lol

hey jac its a good idea what u have going there .. unfortuantley i cant do that with mine.. next year if i'm still here .. i'm get rid of all my black pots and getting some others .. perhaps to keep the roots cool
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 16th August 2012, 12:15

jordan just go down to city farmers and get a bale of hay and spread it around the sides of the pots
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 16th August 2012, 12:25

thats a good idea thanks neptune
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 16th August 2012, 20:27

Sorry, Jordan, I’ve got a nasty flu and my brain isn’t working.

Cool roots are good!
Jac2
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 17th August 2012, 13:12

thats cool jac

hope u get better

the flu is nasty
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2