Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

yellow leaves on ferdinand pichard

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

yellow  leaves on ferdinand pichard Empty yellow leaves on ferdinand pichard

Post by jordan71 14th August 2012, 07:43

hi guys,

can someone tell me perhaps what is wrong with this rose , yellow leaves and it dosent seem to be very healthy.. any idea or comments would be great ..

ferdinand pichard

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

yellow  leaves on ferdinand pichard Empty Re: yellow leaves on ferdinand pichard

Post by neptune 14th August 2012, 07:55

It looks like a iron deficiency, but having said that , you might want to check your soil ph as if it it too acidic it locks up the mineral uptake by the bush
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

yellow  leaves on ferdinand pichard Empty Re: yellow leaves on ferdinand pichard

Post by jordan71 14th August 2012, 07:56

thanks neptune so what can i do to help this rose ?
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 14th August 2012, 08:09

check your ph first and adjust if necessary....then if that is ok...use chelated iron to correct deficiecy....you can even foliar spray it...
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 14th August 2012, 08:15

thanks neptune
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 14th August 2012, 12:37

Jordan, how long has it been in the pot ?
have you changed your potting mix ?
when you potted it did you pot anymore at the same time ?
the leaves on the older cane which have not shot are they the same or are the edges browning off ?
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 14th August 2012, 13:31

Jordan, my SDL Malmaison is the only rose in my garden that has yellowing leaves like that, and it is the only rose in a wooden tub, everything else potted is in plastic with a saucer underneath. I thought I heard a crack when I put it into place, and must replace the container a.s.a.p. Is your pot in good nick with a saucer underneath? I’m thinking maybe it’s leaky like mine.
Jac2
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 14th August 2012, 14:16

its in a good condition jac.. its 30 cm and plenty of holes down the bottom .. i may have to change the potting mix and repot it .. it seems bit damp the potting mix
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 14th August 2012, 14:42

jordan.....out of curiosity , what are the heights of your pots and the widths of them up the top?
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 14th August 2012, 18:30

neptune wrote:jordan.....out of curiosity , what are the heights of your pots and the widths of them up the top?

Neptune most of my pots in height are 30 and w 35 cm

and some are 40 cm ferdinand pichard is in a 40 cm one

Last edited by jordan71 on 14th August 2012, 19:01; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to ad the right information)
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 14th August 2012, 18:33

roseman wrote:Jordan, how long has it been in the pot ?
have you changed your potting mix ?
when you potted it did you pot anymore at the same time ?
the leaves on the older cane which have not shot are they the same or are the edges browning off ?

it was planted a year ago david some as 40 others .. no havent changed the potting mix

there is no brown on any the leaves .. just yellow there is some leaves that have green leaves but more yellow is taking over .. the canes on the rose look healthy no brown is dected at all whats so ever

im going to put it in a new pot with a new potting mix and see how it goes
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 14th August 2012, 19:26

jordan71 wrote:
neptune wrote:jordan.....out of curiosity , what are the heights of your pots and the widths of them up the top?

Neptune most of my pots in height are 30 and w 35 cm

and some are 40 cm ferdinand pichard is in a 40 cm one

jordan, IMHO I would have thought that a pot that size(30 x 35) would be too small to support good growth and the roots would be too crowded in a small pot. There maybe someone on here that specialize growing roses in pots with success that can give you a better opinion. My plastic pots I got from Bunnings cost $9_98 and measure 45cm x 48cmH
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 14th August 2012, 19:28

neptune the rose is still young its only small the height of the cane is only about 25 cm
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 14th August 2012, 19:33

sorry got the impression from above that they are a year old, so the assumption would be that they are bigger than 25cm tall
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 14th August 2012, 19:46

thats cool neptune .. like i said its a young plant .. so when it gets too big .. it will be moved to bigger pot
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 15th August 2012, 05:38

Jordan, can you take photo of the root system before you repot please, I would like to see if it has established some new feeder roots since it has been in the pot.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 15th August 2012, 06:27

david i will repot it today and i will take a pic and post it
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 15th August 2012, 06:38

Thanks Jordan, I think there could be one of two problems with the rose, a good shot of the roots will help, hopefully new feeder roots should show up, if they don't that is one of my concerns.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 15th August 2012, 06:41

i will shake most of the soil off david and take a closer shot at the roots
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 15th August 2012, 09:13

Thanks to the few people that have answered few questions regarding this rose

interesting tho there is few on here didnt even bother to help even tho they are very experienced in roses .. but thats another story

again thanks to those who answered
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 15th August 2012, 11:11

okay have now re potted the rose .. maybe i was over reacting.. u guys be the judge .. the soil felt very healthy and there was lot of worms in there .. now the roots look good to me ..

as u requested david (roseman) here are the pics

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 15th August 2012, 12:23

I can see the thick roots clearly, but my old eyes can't see too many feeder roots...I need to blow up the picture a lot more
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 15th August 2012, 12:46

Top photo John, little white bits of thread amongst the dark roots.
IMO, the plant that I am seeng the roots of is/was to wet. It looks like the potting mix is very wet IMO

John, when I get back homw after work I will take a shot of one of mine with the feeder roots(when you see it do not be alarmed, I will explain)
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 15th August 2012, 15:25

[quote="jordan71"]okay have now re potted the rose .. maybe i was over reacting.. u guys be the judge .. the soil felt very healthy and there was lot of worms in there .. now the roots look good to me ..

[quote]

I don't grow any roses in pots as such (apart from cuttings etc) but I was always told that worms are good for plants grown in the garden but not in pots.

Could be an old garden tale but I am not sure.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 15th August 2012, 15:32

I did a search on the net regarding worms in pots and this is more or less what a lot of people say and it fits in with what I was told a long time ago.

"Who would have thought that a pot plant would suffer from compost worm infestation?

Everywhere you read that worm castings are the best thing for fertilising your plants, this is no lie. But the very maker of your valuable worm castings can mean a slow growth rate for your plants in pots.

The job of worms is to eat organic matter and break it down into smaller and more usable elements. When you use a good quality potting mix, it is generally made of 100% organic matter that is mixed in such a way to retain enough water to keep your plant happy while draining freely enough to allow the roots to breathe.

Worm castings are a great source of nutrients of plants, the mix of organic elements slowly fertilises plants and is great to use in potted plants which can only access the nutrients that you give them.

Combining the makers of this magic ingredient with your fabulous pot plants is a recipe for disaster. Worms eat organic matter (read potting mix) and deposit worm castings (read heavy soil). By having a population of worms living in your pots, they eat all the fine material in the potting mix and leave behind a heavy soil that is prone to water logging and poor drainage which will cause your plants to suffer.

Ensure that you don’t get worms into your pots, you should remove any worms from the castings you place in. Also by removing any visible eggs from the castings you will reduce the birth rate of worms in your pots.

If you’ve got a plant that’s infested with worms you should soak the plant in water, remove the plant from the pot and discard the potting mix to the garden where the worms will be appreciated. Re-pot the plant in fresh potting mix and add worm free castings."

I do believe that the increase in the "heavy soil" causes copaction problems as well.

Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next