Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Which liquid rose fertilisers do you like ?

+10
tambralyngar
AutumnDamask
dannyboy
The Lazy Rosarian
neptune
Jac2
betsyw
finbarr
Ozeboy
maree
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Which liquid rose fertilisers do you like ? Empty Which liquid rose fertilisers do you like ?

Post by maree 5th August 2012, 21:41

The quest to keep my roses happy and healthy goes on , i have learnt synthetic liquid fertiliser in the cooler months and organic one in the warmer months , but what brand liquid one , i wouldn't have a clue , thanks ........
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Which liquid rose fertilisers do you like ? Empty Re: Which liquid rose fertilisers do you like ?

Post by Ozeboy 6th August 2012, 17:45

Maree, I have used Harvest and Thrive with good results.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Which liquid rose fertilisers do you like ? Empty Re: Which liquid rose fertilisers do you like ?

Post by finbarr 6th August 2012, 18:15

harvest is very good. use as a foliage spray as well

finbarr

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2012-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6th August 2012, 18:51

Thrive and aquasol are both good and on an even par

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 6th August 2012, 22:07

Thanks , Ozeboy ,Finbarr and Ozroz , what do you think , coming from Melbourne , give them a drink of Thrive , Harvest or Aquasol at the end of August and then the organic ones about December and March , does that sound about right ? thanks
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by finbarr 6th August 2012, 22:47

liquid fertiliser is dissolved in water and is quickly leached with further watering. there is often fear of over fertilising but my experience would be that an application each 4 - 6 weeks or most definitely after each flush, deadhead/prune.

finbarr

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2012-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 7th August 2012, 13:41

Thanks Finbarr !!!!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 8th August 2012, 05:21

FWIW, I became a Harvest convert a while back, have used it for several years now across the roses/vegetables in my garden. I think it gives better results than Aquasol or Thrive, but here again, I stress think. Could just be my imagination Very Happy
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 8th August 2012, 16:52

Is Harvest the fish emulsion product ?
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 8th August 2012, 19:38

Fish , Seaweed and other growth stimulants.
Have a look at spraying worm castings tea. I know absolutely nothing about it other than people claim it's the best. I'm thinking about trying it making a worm farm from 2 Brocolli boxes. The castings can also be spread around the base of the plants. There was a lady on Gardening Australia who would use nothing else and counted the turns clockwise mixing, then anti clockwise. She used a paddle in a bucket to mix.

Looked a bit like black magic to me but the interviewer was impressed.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 8th August 2012, 20:22

It does sound good Ozeboy , but i'm not so sure about the smell , lol , spraying worm castings , lol , i can see the funny side of that , but probably shouldn't say it here lol , but you know what , think i'll get a worm farm thanks !!!!!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 11th August 2012, 16:53

I found a 2x2L twin pack of old (2008) Seasol in the shed today. Is that still safe for use on my roses or should I mix that into my soil factory or should I just shuck it?
Jac2
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 11th August 2012, 17:21

Jackie, they should be alright if the units are still sealed and have been kept out of direct sunlight. Shake very well or turn upside down for awhile before shaking and serving..... Smile
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2012, 17:21

keep it, try a small amount on a plant or use it asa soil fertilizer
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 11th August 2012, 20:18

Thanks neptune and roseman; will use the still sealed bottle on my roses and dig the opened one into the soil.
Jac2
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 16th September 2012, 01:35

Has anybody used Powerfeed organic liquid fertilisers on there roses the company who makes Seasol produce it ?.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 16th September 2012, 05:57

Daniel, I was given complementary pack a couple of years back from a Seasol rep. To be honest it might have been good, but taking into consideration the conditions that year where not favourable. IMO any liquid feed is better than dry.
Daniel an old friend years ago told me to fertilise during rain/showers as what was in the fertiliser and rain work together and plants in general can take them up very quickly.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 16th September 2012, 06:02

Dave I would agree with your friend, you should see me go when rain is knocking on the door. Not only do you get a bit more nitrogen dissolved in the rain from the atmosphere , but it washes it in real nice into the soil.

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 16th September 2012, 06:47

Which liquid rose fertilisers do you like ? 2171684240
It's also a good idea to water the garden just before/during rain if you know it's going to be a smallish fall of rain. Especially if you have thick mulch.
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 16th September 2012, 06:50

Wendy I will water with dark clouds overhead and I say its raining when its so heavy, I have to get under cover. Have been caught a few times and if it rains well thats a bonus.

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 16th September 2012, 07:04

Yes, we've been getting a little more than you.... Which liquid rose fertilisers do you like ? 3405458542
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 16th September 2012, 07:18

Bragger
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 16th September 2012, 07:56

Dany , i have thought the same as you , wonder if this Powerfeed is good for roses , haven't tried it , but as there are not a lot of liquid rose fertilisers on the market could be worth a try, but what do you think Roseman , hold off on new roses for say six months with anything but plain Seasol .....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 16th September 2012, 08:12

You don't have to wait for six months, thats a little long. Those planted bare rooted this year should be able to fed now, just follow the intructions of the supplier. At work they just cleaned out under the big shearing shed and there is a pile of sheep poo 30 mts long by 2mts high, have been bring some home and putting a circle around the babies.

Back to top Go down

Post by tambralyngar 16th September 2012, 08:22

I use both Seasol, Powerfeed and worm wee for the roses and I think they like it they are powering along nicely. The worm wee does not smell at all. I only use organic stuff on my roses. I have used this mix since they were planted, statred once they had been in the ground for a couple of weeks. I just statred with a slightly weaker mix.
tambralyngar
tambralyngar

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next