Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Which rose fertilisers do you like ?

+4
The Lazy Rosarian
dannyboy
Balinbear
maree
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Which rose fertilisers do you like ? Empty Which rose fertilisers do you like ?

Post by maree 3rd August 2012, 13:48

Just thought i'd run this past everyone , what is your favourite rose fertiliser and when do you use it ? Has this been brought up before , probably has , but maybe we can revisit it for us newbies please . I use Sudden Impact , and Seasol with rock minerals thrown around as well , is Sudden Impact the best product long term , i bought some Seamungus too , do you use that at the same time ? Is Sudden Impact organic or is it a synthetic product . I think a organic product would be best but don't know which one , Thanks .........
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Which rose fertilisers do you like ? Empty Re: Which rose fertilisers do you like ?

Post by Balinbear 3rd August 2012, 14:01

When we fertilise (not all that often sometimes once a year sometimes twice a year and sometimes not at all) we use either a organic product called kickalong (similar to a whole lot of different brands but it is the one we can get at the local hardware) or nitrophosphate (not all that often with this one). If we are feeling generous we throw some lime around the plants and sometimes even some potash.

We found that the kickalong has the same NPK ratio and more or less the same trace elements as sudden impact. The quanity of the elements (ie the Nitrogen, Potasium and Phosphorous) per kilogram is about half of that in Sudden Impact but a bucket of Sudden Impact costs about $45 dollars and a big bag of kickalong which contains 3-4 times the amount is $25. Therefore you can afford to put twice as much on the ground and still come out well ahead.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Which rose fertilisers do you like ? Empty Re: Which rose fertilisers do you like ?

Post by maree 3rd August 2012, 15:13

Thanks Balinbear , can't say i have seen kickalong around our area, but i'll google it and see what i come up with ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 3rd August 2012, 16:00

I tend to use Dynamic Lifter and sometimes may alternate with Amgro Rose food which I find very good to.They say feed in September and another half strength feed in December and Febuary optional.I have got a fair few barerooted roses this year and have just been giving them seeweed concentrate.Is it ok to give them pallet based fertiliser or are they to young this year.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 3rd August 2012, 16:03

Maree

It comes under all sorts of names. Its like dynamic lifter but has extra blood and bone seaweed extract etc added. Organic extra is another name it goes under up here.

Gary
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 3rd August 2012, 16:08

I like liquid, whether foliar or for the ground. This one I am trialing at present under newly planted roses.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 3rd August 2012, 17:15

Thanks Balinbear , Danny , Roseman , Danny you must have quite a collection of roses now , could you post some photos and let us know how they are going for fragrance disease resistance etc , thanks .....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 3rd August 2012, 17:28

Balinbear , just googled Kickalong , Searles product , found a place not to far from where i live , it looks good , Thanks ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 4th August 2012, 04:21

maree wrote:Thanks Balinbear , Danny , Roseman , Danny you must have quite a collection of roses now , could you post some photos and let us know how they are going for fragrance disease resistance etc , thanks .....

Will do Maree no problem.Alot of them now a young and dormant and starting to shoot and get leafs.

dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 4th August 2012, 04:34

maree wrote:Balinbear , just googled Kickalong , Searles product , found a place not to far from where i live , it looks good , Thanks ....

I went to there website doesnt say what retail outlet's stock it Kickalong.

dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4th August 2012, 06:44

For those in the colder regions, organic fertilizers need the activity of microbes to break it down, so it becomes available to the plant. When the soil temperatures are cold, microbe activity is slowed down (like in refridgerators). If you get a period of rain before this nutrient breaks down it will be leached away, before the plant uptakes it. My first fertilizer application is chemical and very water soluble and is not effected by the cold soil temperatures, these are taken up by the plants very quickly. As the soil temperature warms up, switching to organics is better as it becomes a tonic for the soil.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 4th August 2012, 06:54

well said Warren
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 4th August 2012, 07:03

Warren - do you aim for September with the first application?
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 4th August 2012, 07:07

It's ok Wendy, that is when we are having our get together so we can watch what Warren is doing lol!
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4th August 2012, 07:13

When the growth is around 3 - 4 " long I apply the first one but do not over do it , only a light feed. It will be around August sometime.

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 4th August 2012, 07:56

Ahh, okay. I'll be watching.... depends how many more frosts we get I suppose.
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 4th August 2012, 08:11

It's ok Wendy, it's minus 3 here now
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4th August 2012, 09:00

I think the saying of not pruning roses or incouraging growth because of frost damage may not apply here to much in OZ unless it goes below -5. Alot of the rose growing information is based on European and US growing techniques, -5 F in the US is actually -20 c here, no wonder they have to give winter protection. I don't get overly worried unless we drop down below -2 or these low temperatures for a week.

This is the beauty of growing roses in this country our climate is pretty good .

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 4th August 2012, 09:03

Ozrose , thanks heaps , but which product would you recommend ? Danny google Searles Kickalong , then type in your area , should come up .
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 4th August 2012, 10:10

maree, ozros is right re frosts. Here in Glenorie we do get down to -2C with very white frosts during winter. All my bud grafted understocks are activated in July/August, their tender new shoots from just swelling to 2" long seen uneffected and so do the new shoots from roses recently pruned. I've always guarded against having a frost problem but this year all shoots are fine despite the colder winter.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 4th August 2012, 10:11

Ozroz wrote:I think the saying of not pruning roses or incouraging growth because of frost damage may not apply here to much in OZ unless it goes below -5. Alot of the rose growing information is based on European and US growing techniques, -5 F in the US is actually -20 c here, no wonder they have to give winter protection. I don't get overly worried unless we drop down below -2 or these low temperatures for a week.

This is the beauty of growing roses in this country our climate is pretty good .

........ Hmmmm

Shock

Warren, you make perfect sense. As usual. Coming up Roses

Thank you!!
(But wait... now I have no more excuses for procrastination....! Duh )
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by OklahomaDelight 16th February 2017, 13:38

I love Sudden Impact (I only use it once a year, so I can justify the price tag, since it lasts so long) & Seasol bi-weekly, and might use Charlie Carp on occasion. I'm yet to try manures, don't know much about that side of things, but would appreciate any expertise! Isn't Charlie Carp basically a liquid form of a manure? Is there any benefit to me adding a particular type of manure to this regime?

OklahomaDelight

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2017-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 16th February 2017, 15:28

I used to use all those products shown above with a couple of exceptions. Ten years ago I changed to "Yara Complex" used in conjunction with poultry, horse or cow manure.
Yara Complex is in blue granular form so micro ingredients do not move or vibrate out during transport.

As I have a property near Swains Nursery I asked Ben Swain what fertiliser he would suggest and he answered Banana Special. Since Yara is the new version of that fertiliser I decided to go with that purchased in 25kg bags.

Method:- Spread approx two match boxes of Yarra around a mature rose in August, then one to two inches of older manure out to the drip line. Place 4 biscuts of lucerne hay in a square with a corner of each biscuit at the crown of the rose. The hay will keep moisture in, protect the roots from summer heat and add nutrients to the soil. Repeat in November and March reusing the same biscuits of lucerne hay. Remember lift the hay to add Yara and manure. Next August dig in the old hay and
use new hay. Water deep down regularly so roots will go right down as deep as possible.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 16th February 2017, 16:19

Good to see you are still with us Bruce, cheers lol! Thumbsup 'Merry' Mushroom roflmao
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 17th February 2017, 19:51

Hello David, will look in from time to time, not doing much with roses really. Just noted your age, I am 20 years your senior. Go well and keep out of this heat.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next