Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Rose Fertilising

+9
Ausrose
finbarr
maree
Balinbear
AutumnDamask
Barbara B
neptune
jordan71
The Lazy Rosarian
13 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Rose Fertilising Empty Rose Fertilising

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 29th May 2012, 06:58

As we are getting closer to the time of year when we prune our roses I thought it appropriate to ask this question, 'what do you fertilise your roses with and when'. I guess I should add when do you prune and without giving your steet address, what town are you in. This is to see the diversity of area when we prune.
I hope all our members contribute to this.
I will start this off by saying some of mine will not get pruned if I do not get around to it. I hopefully will do ours on the 28th of July after some pruning committments. As for fertilisers, this year will be the first for years, I am going to try a combination of liquid and dry. This is going to placed on straight after pruning or maybe a week or two before so as the soil warms the plant can take it up. One of the liquids I am thinking of is "GOGO juice and some of the Seasol range"
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Rose Fertilising Empty Re: Rose Fertilising

Post by jordan71 29th May 2012, 07:30

hey david, most of my roses will get pruned on july. some are still far too small so i will let em shoot up till next year , as for fertilliser havent really thought about it just yet , not really sure what to use or whats good to give em a good kick start
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 29th May 2012, 07:39

jordan do you have a plan to prune any of those plants that you have brought this year?
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 29th May 2012, 07:43

After I do the major prune in winter, I feed with 6 month Osmocote and either Dynamic Lifter or Rapid Raiser or similar. Then throughout the year, I feed with DL or RR as they finish each flush.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 29th May 2012, 07:47

neptune wrote:jordan do you have a plan to prune any of those plants that you have brought this year?

no neptune they are far too small , there is only few that getting quite big they will get a bit of prunning
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 29th May 2012, 09:24

Some good things to think about. Hmmmm

I've been a pretty slack/lazy gardener over the years and there were several winters I didn't get any pruning (or weeding...) done for various reasons. The lack of weeding probably affected the roses more! LOL

I'm heading towards the way that Simon was talking about for pruning ( [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ) as this suits my time availability and, I think, caters for the frost risk better here. By doing it this way I hope to have more blooms available by show time... (our local Ag show) if I prune late then I ruin my chances of blooms by mid October if the season is slow.

Fertiliser.... has been a touch, shall we say, ad hoc. Very Happy They've had manures, Impact and I've started on the GoGo juice which really does seem to be effective here. I may need to throw a bit of potash and magnesium around this year.

I know people in the garden club (Benalla) that have mostly HTs and prune in July and fertilise the eyeballs out of the roses over the year. (And spray the living daylights out of them too - I'm waaaay to lazy for that!)
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 29th May 2012, 14:31

Not too sure. Some of the roses we have moved recently have been pruned and are responding well. Other teas have had a light prune and the rest might not get too much. The teas beside the driveway near the carport have not been pruned for a couple of years so I may do those. In our climate and with the varities we grow you can prune anytime of the year.

Fertilizer will depend on finances. Last year they got spoilt with a feed but did not do as well as the year before when they missed out. I would like to give them all a feed of Potash as this gets the flowers going. A good dose of lime would go down well but I would probably need a ton.

Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 29th May 2012, 14:41

AutumnDamask wrote:I know people in the garden club (Benalla) that have mostly HTs and prune in July and fertilise the eyeballs out of the roses over the year. (And spray the living daylights out of them too - I'm waaaay to lazy for that!)

I was talking a a bloke over at Big W at lunchtime and he was looking at the bare root roses. He lives 100m from the ocean and his soil is beach sand. He tells me that he buys roses every couple of years and continuoulsy feeds them and they go great for two years then he pulls them out and does it again. He only has a few and at $8 a pop he said is not costing him a fortune. He said he did not bother spraying them as the salt seems to do more damage than blackspot!!

I told him that we have over 200 different varieties out of about 300 -400 or so plants (no actually sure how many we have) and never spray, hardly feed and how some of the teas are 7 metres in diameter and 4 metres high. I told him it is more getting the varieties that suit you conditions and you will find a lot of the hard work is done for you.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 29th May 2012, 15:21

Im the same as the Big W guy...I live on the coast and the biggest problem I have is salt, roaring sea breeze winds and the proverbial yellow beach sand. Ans yes Gary, your are right about finding about a rose to suit your area. I have discharge so many roses back to pots and given to the church raffle. I have yet found a rose that suits our conditions,....but I am open to suggestions
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 29th May 2012, 17:43

neptune
I suggested maybe some of the roses buddied in WA on the rootstock that grows well in sand (can't remeber its name) may be an option but I guess not.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 29th May 2012, 19:20

its hard Gary...all our roses are on fortuniana rootstock, but I don't think they took coastal, coastal areas into consideration....
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 29th May 2012, 20:59

Yeah thats it "fortuniana". Is that rootstock good in sand?
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 30th May 2012, 00:08

they grow it for the west coast...
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 30th May 2012, 06:39

Gary, you mention Potash, a couple of questions on that, do you think it worked or would you think it takes sometime to see it's influence and did you change the rate depending on the size of the plant.

I received a trial bucket of this product last year at our Field Days to try and so far am impressed with it. I am on very heavy black loam which is hungry for food, lucerne grows like weed. It is available for the home garden as well as commercially.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by roseman on 30th May 2012, 06:49; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additions)
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 30th May 2012, 09:05

David

The problem that I could possibly see it the reliance of the plant on the ground where the gell is (ie the gell absorbs and then releases water etc and thus the plants roots would tend top want to stay in that local instead of spreading out).

With regard to Potash (Potassium Sulphate?) there are two types usually available. Quick release water soluable and the slower release granular stuff. Potassium is important for water and nutirent absorption and general plant health and flowering. Generally a good NPK fertilizer does the job but sometimes it helps to give a dose of potash as well. A longtime rose grower told me about it many years ago.

I think it does help the flowering but then again this could also be due to more (or less) rainfall during the important times. I have used both the soluable (lot more expensive but you do see faster results) and the non soluable (not that big an issue with the rain we get).

Whic probably brings up another issue. In areas of high rainfall how fast does the fertilizeer get washed away/leeched out of the soil?
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 30th May 2012, 22:00

I live in Melbourne , and i will be pruning first week of July , i don't usually fertilise till Spring , i follow the Victorian Rose Society month by month guide . This year i have used Munash Rockdust and Renew on everything , seems to have given everything extra vigour . I hate spraying for black spot , so expensive and time consuming and it doesn't work . I've given up , if a rose bush is that way inclined out it comes , trouble is most of em get it , some a lot worse than others . I found Violina and Olde Fragrance good at resisting black spot , not completely but at least they don't exfoliate like some , namely Mary Rose and Chartreusse De Parme ..
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 30th May 2012, 22:32

Oh i forgot , when i remember in Spring, Summer , i use Sudden Impact , cow manure , Munash Rockdust and Renew and Seasol ......
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 31st May 2012, 06:13

Gary, in relation to the gel, it does not absord water from what I understand and can last for a couple of years. at the Field Days I will get some more feedback on it.

Maree, excuse my ignorance, what is "Munash Rockdust"
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by finbarr 31st May 2012, 13:49

often it is not important what is used as long as something goes on remembering good soil organics will mean a better reaction to fertiliser by the plant

finbarr

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2012-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 31st May 2012, 22:12

roseman , Munash Rockdust is a mineral fertiliser and Renew is its liquid brother , great for the whole garden , use when planting and just when needed after that .... Google it , i like it ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 31st May 2012, 22:52

This is a pretty open subject and it depends what you are going to do with your roses. As I show my roses, I'm looking to find a fertilizer combination that will give me what I need in the time that I need it. With a few different beds, all in a certain area, I can experiment with different fertilizers and see where that leads me.....
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 1st June 2012, 06:22

John, not to promote any one company, but if it was me I would approach the odd company or two or three and express your words to them as you have in the above post. As mention about the 'gel' I was given to trial I am going to approach the company for a 10kg bucket for application in bed of rootstock.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 1st June 2012, 09:32

David, most Rose Societys around Australia get a "special" deal from the makers from Sudden Impasct for roses. I have a problem with there product ratio of NPK.......from what I can gather and read from the scientific world , the best NPK ratio for roses 1:2:1. Impact ratio is 9:4:12, which means it is promoting the leaf and flower of the bush and little on promoting the root system of the bush. We also know that too much leaf doesn't promote to bigger and beautiful blooms.

I talked to the neutrog sales representative on two occassions about this and he was going to find out for me. On the second time he gave me the email address of the owner of neutrog and put the question to him. So far , I haven't heard a word from him....it seems I am to below him to have the question answered....
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 1st June 2012, 17:15

John, there is a saying which no doudt you and others have heard, which goes something like this "give a dog a bone. Can you give me some details either here or by PM as I think that stinks. We maybe only a small forum, BUT, word gets around.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 1st June 2012, 17:35

The top NSW exhibitors use Sudden Impact for roses and if you have ever been to the NSW Rose Championships conducted as part of the Sydney Royal Easter Show in recent years you will see the results of the Sudden Impact. In the early days of exhibiting my wife and I used chemical fertilizers and although our blooms were well presented they were always small compared to the the other A Grade Exhibitors and we only picked up the odd championship ribbon. Eventually we changed to Sudden Impact and within twelve months our bushes had virtually doubled in size and our flowers were more than competitive. We have continued to use Sudden Impact in recent years and in 2011 we won more champion ribbons than any other exhibitor and in the process dominated the NSW Championships. I would point out however if your roses don't get sufficient water and if you don't keep the bugs and diseases at bay it doesn't matter what fertilizer you use.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next