Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Heritage Roses in Australia journal

4 posters

Go down

Heritage Roses in Australia journal Empty Heritage Roses in Australia journal

Post by Guest 24th December 2011, 13:13

Welcome Patricia. Today I was laughing out loud at your article about Dr Hogg and the Post Office in the latest Heritage Journal. I wondered how long it would be before you found us! - Bonita (in the Glenorie Roses. Plants available now topic)

Dear Bonita,
Trying desperately to cut down on things I didn't need to do, I had been peeping in for quite a while now and Simon at last just enrolled me. I am glad I made you laugh. "Prickly little sod" is making me laugh too.

A couple of things from your article on p52:

….‘Geranium’, 1947.
Did you mean ‘Geranium Red’ 1947 and not ‘Geranium’ (1951)

“….thornless rose that was once used as a rootstock in northern NSW”
Did you mean ‘De la Grifferaie’ or “Mrs. Something”? (see Heritage Roses journal 33. No 2, p34 for a comparison of the two roses' stipules and canes, which may help)

…..spring flowerers such as “Old Dick’s Apricot Rambler”.
Have you had a close look at the photos and references on HelpMeFind for ‘Aviateur Bleriot’? Is your rose the same as that? Mine certainly is and I can trace mine back to Dick Taylor’s property in Dwellingup, WA. After the 2009 Brisbane conference, I asked Pam Hawthorne for more info on the two separate roses she knew as "ODAR" and 'AB', but never had a reply.

…..’Mme. Jules Thibaud’, china sport of ‘Perle d’Or’.
‘Mme. Jules Thibaud’ is a mystery rose with no breeder, country, or date known. The only real thing we know about it at this stage is that it was mentioned in the UK in 1958. It might be better not to perpetuate a guessed-at parentage

….Congratulations to the six authors of the Australian book ‘Tea Roses’…bred by Viru Viraraghavan.
The rose is named ‘Aussie Sixer’ (I am so interested to see the synonym on HelpMeFind of ‘Remembrance of Times Past’. That was the novel that Marcel Proust wrote with the heroine being Albertine Simonet, after which Barbier named his rose ‘Albertine’. One can find interest in any aspect of roses.)

A very happy Christmas to you Bonita - and to all on Rose Talk. I am sure I am never going to make that listing of Top Posters, but once in a while I will find time to post.
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Heritage Roses in Australia journal Empty Re: Heritage Roses in Australia journal

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 24th December 2011, 13:30

Knowledge in a post like your's is invaluable. So when time permits post IMO, David.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Heritage Roses in Australia journal Empty Re: Heritage Roses in Australia journal

Post by newforold 24th December 2011, 15:11

I am interested in the naming of the 'Tea Lady' rose and the levels of meaning involved. I have had a new rose appear under 'Jaune Desprez'. This is the first time any roses have appeared off their own bat in my garden, so I find it quite exciting. In my wild erractic fancy, I imagine it is something brand new and am having a lovely time picking possible, meaningful names for it. It will probably turn out to be a sucker from the rootstock that has gone off exploring undeground!
Maree

newforold

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 24th December 2011, 15:36

Maree can you expand on
.I am interested in the naming of the 'Tea Lady' rose..
Is 'Jaune Desprez' budded/grafted or cutting grown. If it is a grafted rose, have you been Digger around it, you may have damaged the roots and it 'maybe understock'. Do you remember it having hips ? These are somethings to ponder, Hmmmm
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 24th December 2011, 17:33

Maree,
The breeder of Aussie Sixer, Viru Viraraghavan who lives in India, is most interested in the tea roses. He named one of his roses after the six Perth ladies who wrote the book Tea Roses: Old Roses for Warm Gardens.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 24th December 2011, 23:01

Trying desperately to cut down on things I didn't need to do

See... this is something you just had to do Wink

How does the name 'Patricia' sound for the OP "Mrs Val Nash" growing here Patricia Smile ? It's about to flower for the first time too!

Merry Christmas to you, Patricia. Looking forward to a rosey new year here and listening to your tales of roses.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG 26th December 2011, 15:03

Welcome Patricia. I too enjoyed the Dr Hogg article. Reading it I couldn't help visualising it as if it were a wonderful comedy piece in one of those silent movies - after all that battering, any news of the good Doctor's survival yet? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

These holidays I've had the opportunity to read the HRIA Journal from cover to cover in a leisurely fashion and am also enjoying browsing through some old journals courtesy of Robyn Coupland and Glennis Clarke.

I hope you find the time to share more of these wonderful stories and your rose knowledge with us all here at RTA.
RitaG
RitaG

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by newforold 26th December 2011, 16:59

When I said I was interested in the naming of Aussie Sixer, I just meant that I found Patricia's comments about the layers of meaning in the name 'Remembrance of Times Past' very interesting. That's all! Sorry, it wasn't very well worded.
David, 'Jaune Desprez' is grafted and quite often throws up suckers. I haven't been digging around it and this plant has come up some distance from the main trunk and has lovely red new growth, unlike the usual suckers. I haven't noticed any hips, although 'Countess of Stradbroke' is nearby and sets a tremendous amount of hips. I don't really expect it to come to anything. It probably will turn out to be the rootstock. I just like playing 'what if' games.
Maree

newforold

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 26th December 2011, 22:41

It's a long time since I read Remembrance etc, but from what I recall, Albertine was a bitch. Which is what I think about the rose 'Albertine', too, but I realise I'm in the minority.
Dr Hogg survives in a SA garden, but we are struggling to propagate it; I hope there's a budded one coming along to plant at Renmark this winter.

Last edited by Margaret on 27th December 2011, 09:40; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 27th December 2011, 20:09

How does the name 'Patricia' sound for the OP "Mrs Val Nash" growing here Patricia Smile ? It's about to flower for the first time too! - Simon

Uuuuummmmm. I've only got one name Simon, and what about if it is a dog. Full of mildew, puce brown, and only good up against a wall?

after all that battering, any news of the good Doctor's survival yet? - Rita
Margaret has answered that. But there are quite a few in Western Australia. I tried to spread it around as much as I could after I found it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 27th December 2011, 22:52

It's the lightest shade of pink; almost white and of course it will need to go through testing... will call it 'Eleanor Roosevelt' if it's only good against a wall. I'll refrain from adding/asking the obvious final part Wink

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28th December 2011, 11:42

Being a wowser: helpmefind already lists 2 roses named 'Patricia'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down