Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Anybody identify this?

+7
IanM
miss nomer
Balinbear
The Lazy Rosarian
Admin
AutumnDamask
larryp
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Anybody identify this? Empty Anybody identify this?

Post by larryp 9th October 2011, 17:56

A mislabel from a supplier I will not name except to say they may be related to the former lead singer of the Supremes - South Aussie branch of the family.
Supposed to be Mrs Reynolds Hole but has bloomed with 3cm frilly white flowers. with just a touch of pink. Buds small with definite pink shading

I'm guessing maybe Rugosa Fimbriata but am by no means certain. Was going to grow it over an arch which if it's Fimbriata would be pretty futile.
Coupla pics - anybody help?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
larryp
larryp

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2011-05-08

Back to top Go down

Anybody identify this? Empty Re: Anybody identify this?

Post by AutumnDamask 9th October 2011, 18:15

Looks awfully like the pic of Fimbriata I took last year...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 9th October 2011, 19:23

'Fimbriata' for sure love It's just beautiful! It's pollen parent is the beautiful [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Along with the Grootendorsts, they are among my favourite hybrid rugosa.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 9th October 2011, 19:31

I have some rugosa 'alba' x 'M. Tillier' seedlings just germinated that I did to try and create a fertile version of something like this. Unfortunately, 'Fimbriata' is almost as sterile as a post and rarely sets hips. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting even one. It's a sterile triploid variety. 'M. Tillier' is diploid.... so I'm hoping the matching ploidy will help to improve the fertility.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by larryp 10th October 2011, 10:47

Thank you both. Thought it may be Fimbriata but thr leaves looked somewhat less rugose than the rugosas I've grown.
Extremely frustrating. Having nursed the bloody thing since it was a very twiggy bare-root in a position that I now know it is totally unsuitable for am faced with the prospect of digging up a fragile plant, finding another spot for it and obtaining a suitable replacement.
Have notified the seller with no response so far
larryp
larryp

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 10th October 2011, 17:03

Larry nice 'fimbriata' roflmao or should it be "Mrs R Hole", I do not think it is Mrs Hole. Have you heard from the Supreme's yet, David.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 10th October 2011, 17:50

You should try ordering plants from Diana. The link to place orders on her webb page apparently has not worked for a couple of years and I should not have used it. Silly me I should have known even though there was no error message or anything.
One does wonder!!!
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 10th October 2011, 20:32

If I live on the mainland I'd offer to swap it for you... I have a potted Crepuscule that you could have had. I don't have Fimbriata yet... that bit of water between us causes all kinds of problems!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 12th October 2011, 13:03

Every nursery I've bought from has sent (at least one) mislabel. My Nashi turned into a Manchurian pear.

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 12th October 2011, 15:08

Hi Margaret

Good to hear from you again. Hows Mrs BR Cant and Arathusa going?
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 12th October 2011, 15:17

Arethusa is looking great. We had to move Mrs B R Cant this winter, out of the China patch into the climber row, which is a setback. (You remember that in the process of bare-rooting them before a 6am flight, I reversed the labels). I have a cutting of the Mrs B R C on my top tank and am watching to see if it will climb.

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 12th October 2011, 15:27

Sounds good. I have discovered on of our Mme Antonne Mari has (or had before I pruned it it without realising how it was growing) shown to be a bit of a climber. She was one of the 10 around the wisteria pergola all grown from cuttings from one bush.
This particular one had shot up and was spreading out on the top of the pergola. I did not see it amoungst the wisteria and cut it off. It is growing well again so we will see if it does the same again.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 12th October 2011, 15:35

You've been feeding them steroids again ...
I'll be interested to see what it does.

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 12th October 2011, 16:13

Ssssh! Simon will hear you!
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by larryp 13th October 2011, 09:22

Thank you Simon but as you say a large stretch of water separates the mainland from l'île aux pommes. Besides I already have a Crep and one is more than enough for a suburban garden. Mine is gigantic and probably would be even bigger if wasn't sharing garden space with a frangipani and a bougainvillea.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You're absolutely right Margaret. I've had a squillion mislabels from various nurseries in the twenty odd years I've been growing roses. Guess I just felt like having a whinge - maybe it's male menopause making me grumpy.

The supplier has accepted my complaint and says she will send me a Mrs RH next winter.Twelve months is a long time to endure an unrequited yen for a rose like Mrs Hole but as Diana always sung - You Cant Hurry Love.

Larry
larryp
larryp

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 13th October 2011, 17:47

I guess I've been lucky in that I've only ever received one mislabelled rose, the irony of which brought a smile to my face so I forgave them because they gave me a chuckle instead Wink . It came from a place whose name, in part, means dependable Wink

BTW.. It's great to see you back, Margaret. I didn't mean to make you feel guilty about giving up your previous membership but I'm very glad to see you here again Hug

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 13th October 2011, 20:05

Thank you. I still have a lot of other commitments, but I didn't think I should keep asking Bruce to post my comments.

Back to top Go down

Post by miss nomer 14th October 2011, 09:51

It looks quite pretty. I think my mystery rose might turn out to be fimbriata also. It looks just like the pics of it on HMF. It was a *surprise* (aka unlabelled) free gift with my treloars order. It is just about to open its first bloom and I can just see little frilly edges on the pale pink petals like a carnation. I will take some pics when it opens properly if it survives today. We are supposed to be having a thunder storm and it is just starting now.
It also has what I gather is the rugosa-like foliage, long fancy pointy buds in clusters and is quite unlike all my other roses which are HTs and Austins. I have no idea what I am going to do with this thing. How big and wide is it likely to get and how quickly?
miss nomer
miss nomer

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post by IanM 14th October 2011, 13:19

The mislabelling is only getting worse as time goes by. Many nurseries just don't seem to care that they are selling mislabels. I bought a mislabelled rose from a leading hardware store one time, took it back when it flowered, showed them just how different it was to the label. They refused to give my money back or even exchange it. Their attitude was "Well you got a rose didn't you? What are you complaining about? Labels are a guide only." I haven't bought a plant from them since.

A lot of the problem is the mass produced nature of the modern world and the prevailing idea that quantity rather than quality is the key to successful business. Most buyers wouldn't care less either if they got something mislabelled, in fact most would not even know if the truth be told.

I was just looking on ebay at listings of rose seed. China and Hong Kong sellers are clearly the most unreliable, which is very sad considering that this was the birthplace of many roses. These days they are selling seed of all sorts of weird and wonderful modern roses under the all-encompassing name of Rosa chinensis. They are everything but Rosa chinensis or "China roses". I am also sure that if anyone managed to germinate the seed it would turn out to be completely different to the photographs. Clearly they are just stockpiling any old seed of modern garden roses they can get their hands on, mixing it up, and selling it off as China rose seed. About the only thing people are buying is a pretty yet fake picture of a modern HT. Anyway I'll get off my soap box now. Tantrum
IanM
IanM

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by larryp 15th October 2011, 09:23

A suriprise package lobbed on my front verandah late yesterday form the formerly unnamed Ross Roses. A Mrs Renolds Hole - her roots securely and demurely wrapped in an enveloping blanket of soil. Her top half is decidedly less than voluptuous though but I do thank Ross's for their attempt to slake my lust for Mrs RH.
To paraphrase the immortal vocals of their US cousin Diana - Mrs RH is Back In My Arms Again

Larry
larryp
larryp

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 15th October 2011, 09:36

A good bit of PR from Larry or was it your phone call/email, so what is going to happen with 'Fibriata', will MrsRH and it get on or not. lol!
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 15th October 2011, 09:49

I have a new Mrs Reynold's Hole too and hope it grows well. Its raining again, so my new roses are having a very good start to life here.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by IanM 15th October 2011, 10:06

I can never understand how or why that rose was so named. Suspect confused Question scratch Hmmmm Stunned Dunno Innocent
IanM
IanM

Back to top Go down

Post by larryp 15th October 2011, 10:46

Ian Mrs RH was so named cos she was the wife of Dean Hole who was president (or something similar) of the British Rose Society (or something similar).
Her name has provided much amusement amongst immature types - mainly myself - for years. Almost as much as the Americans' obsessions with their advice on methods of "rooting".
Now suffering from late onset maturity you will note that I used her name with the utmost propriety and carefully refrained form linking her name with any words which might have had a suggestive bent.
Having said all that she is the loveliest rose and I look forward to again gazing lovingly at Mrs Reynolds Hole this summer.
Miss Nomer not having grown Fimbriata before I can't give you much idea of her dimensions. You could look her up on the net but I never trust projected sizes from suppliers or overseas growers. I am continually assured by suppliers in Oz that Jean Ducher will grow to a modest 1.5 metres. Since mine is now about 3m.by 4m I tend to look askance at any proffered sizes until I see them growing in my own backyard.

Larry
larryp
larryp

Back to top Go down

Post by IanM 15th October 2011, 11:00

There do seem to be some unfortunately named plants in existence. Native plants too are not immune, such as Grewia latifolia. (Look this one up at your own discretion!!).
Regarding Mrs RH, it's a wonder someone hasn't come up with another name to satisfy modern propriety. Although I should imagine it was the source of numerous grins, askew glances, and snickers even in its day.
IanM
IanM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next