Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Yellow Rose

2 posters

Go down

Yellow Rose Empty Yellow Rose

Post by Billndee 19th December 2008, 18:20

I am thinking of growing a row of short yellow roses along the edge of my front path which is about 8 metres long. I want it to be an acidic yellow like Friesia.
I would also like it to have a good covering of leaves as well as being an interesting shaped flower.
If I can't find the right miniature then I will probably investigate the ground covers.
Any suggestions?

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Yellow Rose Empty Re: Yellow Rose

Post by Admin 19th December 2008, 21:36

Do you like Moss roses? There is a lovely yellow mini moss called Yellow Delight that is available from Misty Downs (mailorder in winter though).

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 21st December 2008, 09:01

I seem to kill all my minis No

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 21st December 2008, 23:27

Gold Coin is one you often see around.. there is also Softee though this is more of a white/yellow blend. Treloars has 'Moore's Yellow' on its catalogue but I have never seen it. Ralph Moore raises such good minis so I would be confident buying it sight unseen. Treloars also has a lovely looking one called 'Rockabye Baby' ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]).

Last edited by TasV on 28th December 2008, 00:26; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 28th December 2008, 00:10

BD... I just bought a new yellow mini called [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (this is a link to a picture of it in HMF). I think it is exactly what you are looking for. I bought it because on HMF it has more than 700 direct descendants and has a reputation for being an excellent seed parent for breeding new minis and it has two minis behind it as it's parents... which is good because it reduces the chances of it carrying full size genes (mini is dominant to full size so minis can actually carry full size that can turn up again in crosses with minis). The plant I bought even had an open pollinated hip developing on in (one of the reasons I bought it and for $9 I thought what the hell...). My plant is not in great shape atm but a quick repot in a larger pot with some rabbit manure mixed in will see it on its way... and then you can have cuttings galore from it in winter (if that's not too late).

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 28th December 2008, 02:18

The Estate wrote:I seem to kill all my minis No

This should help you then TheE Wink [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 28th December 2008, 07:57

RisenShine looks like a possibility Tas. Some of the photos show it flowering like a daisy bush! I'm glad you have a bush of it.
The effect I want is a very short hedge that I can easily step over to get into the bed for weeding and pruning. So it needs to be bushy and leafy as well as having lots of clear yellow flowers similar to Freisia and Gold Bunny in colour.
My friend has Moores Yellow. I plan to go and have a look at that soon but I think it may not be bushy enough.

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 28th December 2008, 12:08

Rise n Shine will get to 40-50cm tall and a little wider so maybe it's not the best choice... unless you keep it pruned back (which it will appreciate... I cut my minis back by a third after each flush of flowers). On the other hand our shorter summers tends to keep some things shorter than they would be in warmer climates so maybe it would stay shorter down your way. It is very bushy and most places will report that it is fairly healthy but may spot. I have found that most of my minis are like that... pretty vigorous but prone to spot. 'Lavender Jewel' (that I gave you) and 'Bluesette' seem to be the most black spot resistant ones I have... them and 'Magic Carrousel'.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11th January 2009, 18:41

That is a great site, book marked ! Think I will plant all my minis into the ground come winter time Thumbsup , where I dont know, will have to find a special area for them scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down