Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Margaret... 'Charles de Mills'

Go down

Margaret... 'Charles de Mills' Empty Margaret... 'Charles de Mills'

Post by Admin 28th September 2010, 20:25

Hi Margaret,

I was looking at your photo (here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] of 'Charles de Mill's growing wild on the side of a road. I was wondering how you determined what it was? I have an unknown gallica (here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that looks amazingly like it. I was hoping to pick your brains about diagnostic features.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Margaret... 'Charles de Mills' Empty Re: Margaret... 'Charles de Mills'

Post by Guest 28th September 2010, 22:52

Ummm. Because it's known to be common in the Adelaide Hills (on the hotter plains it may not flower much at all), it's a rampant survivor in climates it likes, and it's one of the roses that are recognisable at sight. Like Lady Hillingdon. Diagnostic features? Very double, flat on top with a peripheral ring of petals at first - older blooms may be more convex on top, colours darker purple than Mme Isaac Pereire(and hard to reproduce well with a digital camera).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 29th September 2010, 06:15

margaret you reckon its hard to reproduce digitally , you should try finding pollen to breed from almost impossible Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 29th September 2010, 20:34

Thanks Margaret. I wasn't being flippant. I have never seen it in the flesh. With any luck mine will flower this year and help determine its true identity.

Warren, talking to others about this rose it seems it is most successful as a seed parent.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 29th September 2010, 20:46

from what i have done, i have come to the conclusion that old world types when crossing onto moderns, is best with pollen. have crossed gallicas, bourbons and mosses as seed parents with very low % of repeat bloom occuring. when crossing moderns with old world type pollen the % rate of repeat goes up quite a bit, i now in the state of mind that the repeat gene in dominate in the seed parent. i do all my crosses with old world types this way now with great success, just a thought what do you think??

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 29th September 2010, 21:38

Maybe... so much in rose breeding remains a mystery to me. I've done both and not noticed any real pattern yet other than it is not sex linked... only ones I've done a lot of, with once bloomers, however, are with species or near species and this pattern certainly doesn't hold true for them. In most my crosses where remontancy is absent in one parent I usually expect no repeaters unless full remontancy is present in the pedigree of each (is why I have repeaters now from Mr Moore's 0-47-19 about to flower at only a few weeks old... with Floradora as a parent it is carrying full remontancy and being diploid it comes out when selfed about 25% of the time). Last season was the first season I've used OGR varieties such as Tuscany (Gallica), Vivid (Bourbon), Honorine de Brabant (Bourbon), Henri Martin (Moss), and William Lobb (Moss) and they have just started germinating so will be more able to comment on this when they are older.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down