Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Gigantea is Blooming.

5 posters

Go down

Gigantea is Blooming. Empty Gigantea is Blooming.

Post by Ozeboy 4th September 2010, 17:50

Have three Gigantea blooms to date, one spent one fully out and another is still in bud with yellow petals showing.

When fully out there are five white petals on a very flat bloom.

It's a bit hard to believe Lorraine Lee is a first cross for two reasons, firstly the bloom shape and the fragrance.

Last night while it was very still I walked by Lorraine Lee Clg and just couldn't believe how great the fragrance was considering there was very little during the day.

Am looking forward breeding from it.

ADMIN. EDIT: Here are Bruce's Gigantea flowers:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Gigantea is Blooming. Empty Re: Gigantea is Blooming.

Post by Admin 4th September 2010, 20:37

If you take photos I'll post them here for you... would like to see them myself.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 5th September 2010, 07:29

Simon , it's raining like anything and blowing very hard. Will take a pix tomorrow if the petals stop fluttering. Hope the new bud will stand up to this weather long enough for a pix.
Ozrose picture in her posts are exactly the same shaped blooms though my Gigantea stigma are not as yellow. Will be interesting to see how many hips develope from the 3 blooms.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 9th September 2010, 23:17

The pix shows a spent bloom at the bottom, middle is a 2 day old bloom and the top is a bud just starting to open.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose 10th September 2010, 00:37

How exciting ! Have you done anything with these flowers or are you waiting to see if they set hips by themselves ?
That is an elegant & shapely bud in the background . Is it always so sparsely foliaged or is that the result of the weather ?
cheers. Rosalie

Last edited by OzRose on 10th September 2010, 11:42; edited 1 time in total
OzRose
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 10th September 2010, 09:05

Rosalie, I originally budded 12 on Multiflora and kept 2. Both are showing buds with sparce foliage which I think is partial shutdown during winter.
It is covered with new shoots at the moment so am anxious to see it at the end of spring.

I intended to breed from some of it's first crosses done by Alister Clark rather than going right back to Gigantea but after looking at how quick good roses appear after few generations I am building interest in Species.

Rosa Davidii, Rosa Bracteata, Rosa Spinosissma, are interesting.
Simon was good enough to send me some very valuable seeds and a rooted sucker of Rosa Longicuspis.

Unfortunatly I have taken an interest in breeding too late in life to do a great deal though might get another 15 years hopefully.

My only claim to fame so far is a Mauve Iceberg seedling.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 10th September 2010, 10:43

I have a few more seedligs up at the moment, Bruce, that might prove helpful to us as well... I have a seeds from Dr Basye's bracteata line (which contains species like R. carolina, and R. virginiana as well), which resulted in roses suchs as 'Basye's Legacy', 'Basye's Purple' and 'Commander Gillet'. If I can keep these alive (and they prove to be any good) I'll strike a few cuttings and send them your way. Also I have 'Commander Gillet' and 'Carlin's Rhythm' seedlings up at the moment that are from the same line. There is also a few R. clinophylla x R. bracteata seedlings up as well and my one seedling from 'Baby Love'. So make sure you keep some room for a few more house eaters and some of these smaller ones. It will be a littloe while before they are large enough to propagate; end of spring start of summer I'm guessing. I'll be making these cuttings available to everyone as they become available here. You will need LOTS of room for them though... not for suburban blocks (if you want to grow anything else, or move around your backyard Wink ).

Mr Moore lived till he was 102 Bruce through roses... don't write yourself off too early Wink

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose 10th September 2010, 11:38

Simon wrote:
.... You will need LOTS of room for them though... not for suburban blocks (if you want to grow anything else, or move around your backyard Wink ).

Mr Moore lived till he was 102 Bruce through roses... don't write yourself off too early Wink
Laughing

I hope you're right Simon . Might give me a bit more time too. The garden has had to survive with minimum input these last 5 years , everyone kept telling me "wait till they are all at school , you'll have so much more free time" , but I haven't noticed it yet . Now they're telling me "wait till they are all in highschool , you'll have so much more free time" but then I have also been told to wait till they all leave home .... so it could be a long wait for free time to play with breeding roses lol!

There's room for a few house eaters here , if they are very prickly they could go along the front fence and replace the rusting barb wire Smile

Where does L.L get her perfume from ?

cheers. Rosalie

OzRose
OzRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 10th September 2010, 12:58

Takes time to get a few worthwhile breeders that hopefully will make good foundation stock. Crossing a couple of current roses is OK for we have to start somewhere but hopefully in time I can can come up with the goods and refer back 5 generations.
Really like the idea of improvement over generations, then I would feel must be doing something right.

Have a look at Prairie Princess, see how fast it was developed from Species and used as seed and pollen parent on both the seed and pollen lines.

Simon I have 5 acres all arable, worthwhile house eaters welcome.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose 10th September 2010, 15:32

I've been wondering how they could be incorporated into hedging , rather like an Aussie version of the english hedgerow .
I have looked at [and repaired tongue ] wire fences most of my life = boring Laughing hmmm. you fellas have given me some food for thought. Hmmmm

I know you pps say you want to breed Australian roses for Australian conditions , but I can't sort of visualise what form this plant is to take .
A bush form like a HT that produces stems for cutting or a floriferous shrub in the garden but the flowers are held on shortish stems.
I like my HT's ; I cut a lot of flowers to bring inside and to give away so they do me fine , but you also can't beat the glory of a shrub rose in flower too.
Health , yes important as well but health issues with roses can vary so much across the breadth of this country too.

I'm not putting this into words very well ; do you have a picture in your mind's eye , of what you want "your" bush[es] to look like ?
How do you tame a house eater's genes enough to fit in today's urban garden. Probably lots more questions will come to me about what the qualities in these different species roses are that you are hoping to be able to tap into.

I can see some more reading up coming up ; what the heck , I already get told I spend too much time on the 'puter

lol!

cheers. Rosalie
OzRose
OzRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 10th September 2010, 17:02

Bruce... you raise an interesting point regarding 'Prairie Peace'. I have noticed that some species seem to be more accomodating than others. Rosa carolina, Rosa virginiana, and Rosa wichurana seem to be examples. Have a look a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], to name just a few. These are all reputed to be F1 crosses with wichurana. There are lots of other examples of this species integration that I find quite amazing. This one is meant to be a multiflora (double version) x rugosa: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] . This was bred by Tom Silvers. He has many examples of using species to good effect. Viru has had quite amazing success with gigantea. Mr Moore had good success with bracteata but it took him a really long time and hundreds of crosses to make a break through. I did crosses with 'Scabrosa', which is thought to be a form of rugosa 'rubra', that will, with a little luck flower this spring. There is little, if any hint of rugosa in these seedlings and when you think that they are diploid x tetraploids (making them triploids) this is understandeable; there is a greater modern rose influence than rugosa. I think my future work with species is going to revolve around fertile, healthy, diploids so I don't lose too much of the species influence too early.

All fun and games Smile

Rosalie... my daughter is in yr8 in high school... time.... what time... it's a myth Wink

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose 10th September 2010, 18:17

lol Simon . I've got a bit of waiting to do yet then.
I've got a yr.4 , yr.2 and a PP . Laughing

cheers. Rosalie
OzRose
OzRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 20th September 2010, 18:59

HELP!!!! does anyone know which Gigantea Alister Clark used to breed his Gigantea hybrids from?

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 20th September 2010, 19:01

I'll check my book Bruce and get back to you tonight... I know the seeds I sent you are from the Manipur, India, variant and is not meant to be the one that was already here; that one was meant to come from China from memory... I'll go check now.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 20th September 2010, 19:05

It doesn't say which gigantea he used. It just says that he obtained a plant of gigantea shortly after 1903 from Paul's Nursery in England.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 20th September 2010, 19:18

Thanks for that Simon, could be anything as the English were very active collecting plants from China and right across through India.

The Manipur Gigantea seeds are back in the fridge, will give them another go at germination in April. If no germination then back in the fridge and try again next spring. We must win in the future.

A lot of Australian natives require a singe from a bush fire to germinate or dunking in hot water for a minute. If the Gigantea don't germinate by spring next year might pick out 4 and give them the heat treatment.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 20th September 2010, 19:26

I think I'm going to sift some seeds out and pull the embryos out... I tried it when they first arrived but the embryo is packed in so tightly and the coat of the achene is so thick that I destroyed all of them. The embryo is also really small compared to the size of the seed.

Bruce, on results of my experiments on my OP 'Westerland' seeds in tomato pulp the results are in! So far I have had only 1 out of 50 non-treated seeds come up and I have had 12 out of 50 tomato pulp treated seeds germinate. Might be worth getting these gigantea seeds and fermenting them for a while in tomato pulp... seems to have a very beneficial effect. 100 seeds in total is isn't a statistically significant number but the initial results are encouraging. I'm thinking of putting my hard to germinate 'Altissimo' seeds in for 2 weeks too as I find them incredibly hard to germinate. Warren uses 'Altissimo' regularly as a seed parent (because it sets seed with EVERYTHING I pressume) so maybe he can elaborate how he gets them to germinate.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 20th September 2010, 20:23

Thanks, will give them the tomato pulp treatment for 2 weeks.

Interesting how wattle seeds lay out in the open for years and don't germinate unless they are burnt by a grass fire. Might try this with something less valuable than the Gigantea and check the results.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 7th October 2010, 02:12

Gigantea update. All the blooms to date are making hips which report to be quite large. They have developed very quickly considering the short time since blooming. Will make breeding from this plant very easy knowing every bloom is a hip.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 7th October 2010, 18:34

Only if timing permits Bruce.. down here Gigantea is about to bloom but nothing else is. I'm going to have to freeze the pollen and use it on something throughout the year. Pain in the neck really.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 7th October 2010, 21:31

It's times like this I need a good close-up camera for I have quite a few Tea blooms and a great 'Countrywoman' HT bloom today. Gee that's a really nice HT bloom.
Daily Sketch, Tanya Verstack, Waltzing Matilda, Holtermans Gold and Brigadoon, all starting quite early.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Schuler 11th April 2012, 19:27

Heyhey

I've a question about the cultivation of gigantea - I got mine last october and put it in a bigger pot (~30cm diameter). They grew a little over the european winter (indoor) and now they wanna start to grow quicker. They may be grafted on Rosa coriifolia var. froebelli (I'm not sure, some of the others are).
So is the sice of it's pot big enough?
I would love to cross her with some of my other roses: rugosa, moyesii, Rose de Resht, Gros Provins Panache, Mme. Hardy, Persian Yellow, Nigel Hawthorne, Tigris and Peace well and all of them together in different variations....

What happened with your gigantea seedlings?

Schuler

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 12th April 2012, 06:22

Hi, I do not grow it, but from reading about this rose I think it will outgrow your pot. The crosse you mention should make some fantastic new one's , I hope you well ith your endevour, If you can could you post some pictures of it.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down