Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Munstead Wood

+6
The Estate
Ozrosarian
Lauriek
Admin
The Lazy Rosarian
Billndee
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Munstead Wood Empty Munstead Wood

Post by Billndee 17th June 2010, 22:22

I read a post about this rose the other day but i cannot find it now. I want to ask the lucky man who photographed it at the David Austin garden in England about its growth habit.
Is it upright or sprawling or growing sideways like LD Braithwaite and Wm Shakespeare 2000?
I want to know because i have bought one Because of your good recommendation and I want to know ow much space to give it.

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Munstead Wood Empty Re: Munstead Wood

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 18th June 2010, 06:21

Dee, could you tell me from which rose supplier you bought it please. Dave Clark posted the picture, he was in England in 2009. I was in England at this time of year in 2008 and saw the rose then. It was released at David Austin's in 2007. If it is here now they would have sent budwood or tissue culture in about the release date in England for trial purposes and quarrintine issues I would think. I will try and get some answer. Sorry I degress, when I saw it, it was medium and round, I am thinking might get to be thick and on the bigger size. Dee wait and see what Dave has to say with 12mths older growth on it.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 18th June 2010, 17:01

Ladybird Rose has it for sale at the moment: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauriek 19th June 2010, 02:46

Treloar Roses also have Munstead Wood.

Lauriek

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 19th June 2010, 09:07

Roseman, actually my bush has not yet arrived at the garden centre so I do not yet know the supplier but they had quite a few Treloar labels among their stock so that would be my guess.

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozrosarian 20th June 2010, 23:41

Growers in England say Munstead Wood seems to be a bit tidier than the WS2000, and perhaps a better behaving plant. But with roses is a wholly different story once they reach Australia. So I called Treloar and chatted with them for a while.
I've especially asked them about long canes shooting problem, which WS2000 does here, and about the nature of blooms. WS2000 tends to shoot long canes with heavy blooms on top, and they've persuaded me MW is much better -- it doesn't tend to put many blooms on one branch only, they're more evenly spread out, but they saw few plants shooting long canes too. I presume WS2000 is one of parents of MW.
Bloom quality, fragrance, etc. is great and on par with WS2000, so they say, so I give much hope in this rose.
Ozrosarian
Ozrosarian

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2010-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozrosarian 23rd June 2010, 21:45

Ah yes, what else connects Munstead Wood with Gertrude Jekyll?
Thorns. MW is a prickly one, very prickly. A bit less than GJ but still ... ouch!
Ozrosarian
Ozrosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Estate 24th June 2010, 07:55

OUCH is for my Ian Thorpe and Grimaldi is also a thorny one, both bit me yesterday Suspect
The Estate
The Estate

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 24th June 2010, 21:51

Thank you Ozrosarian, that is helpful information.

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozrosarian 24th June 2010, 22:08

Billndee wrote:Thank you Ozrosarian, that is helpful information.

I'll be happy to share more information during the year. I've planted 3 WS2000 and 4 MWs next to each other this year, in a mixed border with perennials and lavender.
Ozrosarian
Ozrosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 1st December 2010, 15:23

I am a happy little Munshkin er Munstedder.
When I took delivery of may plant in August i was dismayed by the two puny , skinny little sticks poking up from the graft. But I needn't have worried because my brave little bush has leafed up, grown healthy new wood with lots of buds and two flowers.
It is very healthy and vigorous, a lively colour and perfume so I am very pleased.

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 2nd December 2010, 06:42

Hi Dee, i only just found this thread. When I saw MW last year at DA's place it was a nice rounded shrub. I was looking for a rose to buy in memory of my aunt, whose daughter lives near Albrighton. It was the rose I wanted, no contest, out of all the roses in his garden. But it had already sold out! It should do equally well in your garden with similar climate. A friend in Sydney bought one this year, so I will be interested to see how it grows and blooms here.
Enjoy!
Ozrosarian, you are going to have one glorious mixed border with all those roses Smile

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose 2nd December 2010, 11:10

Very interested to read all this because M.W is one of my purchases this spring , just waiting for a cooler day to plant it out.
Although it's still in it's pot , it seems to be handling the heat okay .
The colour , well I call it the Mysteriously Moody Munstead Wood , I just wish I could capture the colours accurately with my camera .[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I'd love to see a pic of yours Dee , I reckon the colours would be even more intense in your cooler climate.

cheers. Rosalie
OzRose
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 3rd December 2010, 06:20

Rosalie, what a great rose, unless I am mistaken IMO it is as close to the one's that I saw in DA"s garden when I visited about 3 years ago, Dave C went last year so hie memory might be better than mine Smile
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG 5th December 2010, 21:18

Dave wrote:Hi Dee, A friend in Sydney bought one this year, so I will be interested to see how it grows and blooms here.
Enjoy!

Hi everyone, not sure if David (Dave) is refering to me as his Sydney friend, but I presume he is. Yes, bought one late Oct, planted it in the ground a few weeks ago and so far doing well, but alas cannot give a critique on it yes as I too bought it on David's high recommendation. He knows it doesn't take much for me to be pursuaded regarding DAs roses, esp red ones. As it happens I took some snaps of the garden this morning - like to keep a keen eye on th progress so will try and remember how to upload on here as this forum looks a bit different to the last time I was on here.

Oh, also, WS2K, has been planted in an east facing garden is doing wonderfully well, which is great as the first time I planted him in another garden he remained a stick. Will also post some pics of him as well.

OK, being a pleb & not having luck uploading. Maybe I need to go and read some instructions. Maybe will succeed some other time.

Ciao, Rita
RitaG
RitaG

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 5th December 2010, 21:23

Did you find the instructions Rita? If not they can be found here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG 5th December 2010, 21:45

Tks Simon, lets see if the brain is engaged this time of night ...

Munstead Wood (infant)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Wow, not as dumb as I thought, so here goes a close up of MW:

And now for William Shakespeare 2000 planted a year ago and am tickled pink by his incredible blooms:

and a long shot of the front garden which houses WS2K & companions ... apologies for hogging your time, but when one is on a roll ...

RitaG
RitaG

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 6th December 2010, 06:22

Welcome back Rita, you have done such a lot of work since we last saw the front yard. I guess all the roses would be DA's. Is the back yard going the same way Thumbsup
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 6th December 2010, 07:33

Hi Rita,

Good to see you here again!

So are you forcing me to get WS2K on that flimsy excuse ? bounce My first William Shakeaspeare (the original DA one) crossed over to the other side long ago.
I've heard WS2K is a much better rose.
Dave

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG 6th December 2010, 20:27

Thanks David M - yes, there was a lot of work done on the front yard, but importing 12 tonne of soil sure made the difference. No not all Austin's out of 61, 19 are other old world such as Bourbons, Musks, Teas, Noisettes, Rugosa etc. I am still as one eyed about David Austins Roses, and am afraid that I will not ever change.

David (C) - tks, since when did you need me to FORCE you to get another DA - you are the one who's been there a few times now and I think that is a stronger pull than any photo that I can ever post on here, but yes, I think you will like WS2K quite well. Used to have the old WS myself and quite like it, wouldn't really say its the same rose at all, different colour and size of bloom to start with.

RR has been full of blooms but as much as I LOVE the rain, its mostly balled again Crying or Very sad Never mind, summer is on its way and I'll see how she behaves then.
RitaG
RitaG

Back to top Go down

Post by Meryl 6th December 2010, 21:31

I've been wondering where you'd gone, Rita...so good to see you back and what a garden you are making! Again!

RR? Rambling Rector? Rose de Rescht (sp?) or du Roi? I give up.

Meryl

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2009-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 7th December 2010, 06:12

Hee heee.. it's called Rita's Rose, Meryl. It's the one in her avatar. Someone bred it and named it after her I think. I've got one too, and I'm going to cut it back by half today and see what happens. Balling is rampant here atm, but that rose is very vulnerable. Better in a Mediterranean climate!

Rita, your roses look amazing as usual. You've obviously been spending way too much time in the garden and neglecting the housework again

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 7th December 2010, 06:23

I think we should have a guessing competion on who the breeder is of "RR" roflmao
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Meryl 7th December 2010, 10:36

Now there's a tribute and a half. What a rose!

Meryl

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2009-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG 7th December 2010, 19:36

Tks for the welcome back Meryl. Life has been quite hectic & traumatic the last 5 years or so. There are times when I miss my DP garden, but thankfully, my new garden is producing some beautiful roses which are easing the blow of having to leave my Giardino di Rosa. I call this new garden 'Giardino di Speranza' - garden of hope! Having a beautiful rose named after you is the most significant honour anyone can bestow on a roselover. Our David is a very clever, multi-talented man!

In returning to this forum, I hope to learn so much and to renew many old cyber and live friendships. Its so nice to be back chatting on here again!
RitaG
RitaG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next