Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

My two favourite seedling of the year :)

+4
Abbi
Dave
Bemo
Admin
8 posters

Go down

My two favourite seedling of the year :) Empty My two favourite seedling of the year :)

Post by Admin 15th April 2010, 23:33

OP 'Wild Rover'

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Plant is only satisafactory... but great colour and symmetry.

OP 'Flower Carpet Scarlet'

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This rose has so far proven bullet proof. Planted in the ground a few months back it is bushing up nicely. Flowers continuously. No disease. Nice shape to the plant which is low so far. Flowers last well and have excellent symmetry. This is my favourite of the year. It needs more testing but I am feeling this one will be my second introduction. I love single pinks with a white eye so much! Fertile too; it's forming OP hips itself already.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

My two favourite seedling of the year :) Empty Re: My two favourite seedling of the year :)

Post by Bemo 16th April 2010, 04:29

Simon, Thumbsup
hope my 1st noack-hybrids will also flower this year, as you know, I did it with 'flower carpet gold' one year ago. I'm still waiting to see the first blooms. But the great message is: no great damages due to the hard winter.

cheers
Bernhard

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

My two favourite seedling of the year :) Empty Re: My two favourite seedling of the year :)

Post by Admin 16th April 2010, 10:24

Bernhard, have you got 'Flower Carpet Amber' yet? I've been impressed by how fertile and healthy this one has been for me here. It's not at all healthy in a pot, but when planted in the ground where its roots can run and stay cooler it grows very strongly and cleanly. AND... it sets hips with EVERYTHING!!! Mine has produced the mother-load of OP hips (from EVERY flower) and has also formed hips with Rosa bracteata and 'Wild Rover' (you couldn't get wider crosses I don't think). I'm keen to see your first 'Flower Carpet Yellow' seedlings too. I hope they are a significant improvement on the parent, which grows cleanly enough here but with most unattractive growth habit. Here's hoping you can tame it Thumbsup

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo 17th April 2010, 00:55

Simon wrote:Bernhard, have you got 'Flower Carpet Amber' yet?
only the yellow one (and 'Amber fluid') Laughing

Simon wrote:.... I hope they are a significant improvement on the parent, which grows cleanly enough here but with most unattractive growth habit. Here's hoping you can tame it Thumbsup

I have another batch of 9 seedlings from Bonica x FCG. If there will raise a good one, I would be happy. If not, doesn't matter, there are enough other roses to breed with.

cheers
Bernhard

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 18th April 2010, 05:57

They look great Simon. Keep us posted.
I've resisted the Flower Carpet roses. Now I can't Razz

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Abbi 22nd April 2010, 22:20

The Wild Rover seedling is spectacular. Love it. Thumbsup

Abbi

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 22nd April 2010, 23:12

Dave... I think the Flower Carpet roses are going to be essential for developing better roses for Australia. I've used Tea pollen on some of the Flower Carpet roses... and they all failed... next season I'll be doing it the other way around using Flower Carpet Amber with 'Monsieur Tillier' and 'Comtesse de Labarthe' mainly.

Thanks Abbi... I LOVE its flower too... I just wish the plant was a bit healthier. Will be watching to see how it goes as it matures though am not expecting great things from it.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 23rd April 2010, 20:59

Garden Express have a few Flower Carpet roses in their Autumn edition.
Flower Carpet Amber. All Standards at $36 ea
'' " Gold.
" " Pink.
" " Coral
" " White.
" " Scarlet

Also 8 Brindabella Blackspot Busters at $16 to $18. They also list them as Heat Lovers.

Looks like the breeders have come up with something which will suit our climate. Will be worth a trial.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 23rd April 2010, 22:30

yep... I have all the FC roses except the coral one (nothing I like about this rose... No ... each to their own I guess), and not all perform as well as each other. The closer they are to 'Immensee' the better they seem to do. I don't like 'Gold' so much either... its form does nothing for me though might prove useful in breeding better yellows (as it has been already in 'Yellow Brick Road'). I like the way they form low shrubs and I like the way they respond to harsh pruning to keep them small. I also like the way they form very large bushes when given free reign and how they can be used for informal and formal hedging. So... I can't wait to see how they combine with Teas to improve their flowers and shape, among other things. I think, combined with miniatures, they could also make great small shrubs for today's shrinking gardens. I bought a new rose the other day called 'Little Wonder' which is along these lines already. It's a low compact wichurana-type rose that is a miniature with nice clear single white flowers. This is it: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] . It sets hips easily too. There are a number in the fridge now to see how they germinate. I intend to put Tea pollen on it next season... So many interesting things to try Smile

Last edited by Simon on 3rd May 2010, 23:28; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 24th April 2010, 06:36

Simon, I am not a lover of ground cover roses, this one you have could be a slight improvement to change my mind. It looks on first viewing a small form of "Lavaegarta" IMO.

On the subject of Brindabella, I bet there is no parnetage available.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 24th April 2010, 12:49

David, some are listed on HMF with seed and pollen parents, have a look.

Actually Brindabella Blaze is bred by an Australian.

As previously mentioned I uses Bouquet as a pollen parent to Don Juan and will really be interested in the results.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackrose 5th June 2010, 22:20

'Wild Rover' love beautiful colour !!!
Blackrose
Blackrose

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2010-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 5th June 2010, 22:43

Hey BR.. The photo doesn't show 'Wild Rover'. 'Wild Rover' was the seed parent of this seedling. This is one of my own creations Cool

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackrose 5th June 2010, 22:49

Duh well it goes to show what i know about roses lol.... who's a clever Simon Clap it's still beautiful Very Happy
Blackrose
Blackrose

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2010-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 5th June 2010, 22:54

I'll keep you in mind over the next year or so to send you up a plant to test in the heat Smile So far it hasn't got a name...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Estate 7th June 2010, 10:53

Love the colour of the first one Simon love
The Estate
The Estate

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down