Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

What's going on at Ruston's?

3 posters

Go down

What's going on at Ruston's? Empty What's going on at Ruston's?

Post by Admin 11th March 2010, 19:54

Can anyone tell me what's going on at Ruston's at the moment? I have just been informed that a variety we had been looking for has been culled (this was a VERY significant variety as well), and this is not the first time lately that I have heard of varieties being culled en masse which could possibly result in them being lost forever (I have been recording the incidences and correspondances I am aware of). When Ruston's makes the decision to cull, are these roses just discarded or are they offered to interested parties? Anyone know what they are doing about preserving these varieties?

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

What's going on at Ruston's? Empty Re: What's going on at Ruston's?

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 12th March 2010, 06:29

Simon, maybe Margaret could help as I think she does some things there. Also Bruce did he start talking to them about different wood scratch
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 12th March 2010, 08:59

I am unaware of this happening. Margaret seems to know all at Rustons.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14th March 2010, 23:17

I've been away for a while, sorry about the late reply. A number of economically non-useful roses - Ruston's is a business - have been removed, especially ramblers and some 1960s HTs so far. The "Olde Worlde" garden hasn't been watered for a couple of summers, due to irrigation restrictions, and is in poor shape. It contained a range of heritage roses. These are some of the reasons Heritage Roses in Australia have been working on getting some types of old roses into specific Collections, with generous assistance from Anne Ruston. I don't know which areas are likely to be cleared but I'm assuming there will be further economic rationalisation. The supply of budwood is becoming less significant to the business, with income from the Visitors' Centre (weddings & other functions) now being a major source of revenue.
Margaret

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 19th March 2010, 08:41

There are two aspects to Ruston's; the commercial property, and the Collections planted by HRiAI in the last three years, and maintained by Anne Ruston. The Collections I think are safe as long as the property doesn't change hands. And as long as David Ruston is around to look after them. They are: Tea-Noisette-China Collection, Early & Classic Polyantha Collection, Pernetianas, Pre-1925 HTs, and 19th century Foundlings. There are some later HTs but we haven't a hope of preserving large numbers.
We haven't started an Old European Collection, because they're reasonably well-covered by botanical gardens, and Renmark's climate isn't ideal for them. There are also cost issues with Old Europeans and Species Collections, which have to be budded to keep them beside their labels - Mt Lofty BG learnt the hard way about that. The Teas & polyanthas have mostly been grown from cuttings.
The "19th Century Foundlings" is mainly for roses not in commerce. Some Hybrid Chinas and Hybrid Bourbons, which are likely to be lost because most gardeners don't want spring-only roses, and they don't have the street-cred of the Old Europeans. There are also some Bourbons & HPs and some of uncertain class.
We haven't planted many Clarks in the new Collections, because they're looked after elsewhere, and the single roses blow very quickly in Renmark's heat.
Ramblers are a problem; I don't know who would be willing to preserve large numbers. Anne R doesn't like roses spilling out of trees.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down