Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

November Roses

+3
Ozeboy
Admin
orchid40
7 posters

Go down

November Roses Empty November Roses

Post by orchid40 21st November 2009, 16:09

Here's a few in bloom at the moment,

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

orchid40

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2008-02-10

http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

November Roses Empty Re: November Roses

Post by Admin 21st November 2009, 17:25

'Charles Austin' is a lovely rose Val. I've been looking at it lately as it's been involved in some interesting crosses. Well worth a look if you want to get into breeding Val. Your 'Maurice Utrillo' looks to be much more strongly coloured than mine too.

Check out these out of 'Charles Austin':

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Simon on 21st November 2009, 22:14; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 21st November 2009, 19:15

Very nice blooms aren't they? I like them both!

orchid40

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 23rd November 2009, 10:17

Here's a few new ones this year for me.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Darcy Bussell is a much more intense red of course (My camera again !)

orchid40

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 23rd November 2009, 10:39

Does anyone have " Out of Yesteryear " no I don't think so. That's the sort of rose I need here without ging right back to the Bracteata species.

That breeder is really onto something there. DA could take a good look at these but would have to set up a breeding establishment in a much warmer climate or spend a lot of money on heating.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ripley 23rd November 2009, 19:53

Isnt Summer Song beautiful O40. Pity it doesnt seem to last very long. Mine went from bud to fully open in one day them collapsed into a heap of petals the next day. But that colour is amazing!
Ripley
Ripley

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 23rd November 2009, 19:59

'Out of Yesteryear' isn't, unfortunately, here Bruce. I've outlined the pedigree of 'Out of Yesteryear' on here before, but Mr More developed it from 'Muriel', which is a first generation cross between bracteata and 'Guinee'. We do have two hybrid bracteata in 'Many Happy Returns', and 'Mermaid', but 'Mermaid' doesn't like to breed much and from reports I've read from Europe, 'Many Happy Returns' is pretty far removed from bracteata, in terms of possessing species-like characteristics, and has limited potential (though appears to be both hip and pollen fertile... I'm going to try it anyway with, as Paul has done here, a few DAs like 'Abraham Darby'). I think that is where groups like ours come in Bruce... by ourselves breeding will be slow but I think we could make much better progress if we work collaboratively. Mr Moore did a huge number of crosses before getting anything fertile or worthwhile in 'Muriel'. I think we need to follow his lead and cross as many things with good fertility with bracteata and then spread things around so that others can also use it. Anyone who is a golfer would be familiar with Ambrose rules Smile You play in a team and all hit off but the group hits off each turn from the nearest to the tee or the best shot... This is kind of like what I'm suggesting. Each time we get something worthwhile it gets distributed around so we can all work on it and play from closest to the pin each time. I think a good starting point might be to try and find a good fertile diploid breeder, that has runs on the board already, to try with bracteata to avoid producing possibly infertile triploids (crossing tetraploids with diploids often results in triploids and these triplods have reduced fertility... not always... there are fertile triploid breeders too, but the trend is towards infertility). Such a paring would hopefully make fertile diploid progeny because bracteata is diploid as well. Once fertility has been improved then we can start adding in roses with different ploidy. I'm thinking of trying it with 'Crepscule' first. I'll have to doa search to see if there and any very early diploid HT that might help us along the way too.

Anyway.. getting way off topic... 'Summer Song' looks a lot like 'Pat Austin' doesn't it Val. It's a lovely shade of orange too... probably one of my favourite rose colours. I wouldn't mind betting 'Pat Austin" was involved somewhere in its breeding actually.. given the nodding blooms...

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 23rd November 2009, 20:18

Yes Simon, Summer Song and Pat Austin must be related!

orchid40

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 24th November 2009, 05:52

Great photos!
Val, can you tell me more about Ebb Tide please? Love the colour and form,
Dave C

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 24th November 2009, 17:12

Ebb Tide is delightful Dave. It opens to a quite dark purple, but with the sun it fades quite a bit. it's still very pretty. It has clusters of blooms, I guess it's a floribunda. It's not very tall (Yet), mine is in a pot still. The perfume is strong and beautiful. The blooms are not large like an HT. It does rebloom later in the season too. Hope this is a help,
Val

orchid40

Back to top Go down

Post by Abbi 26th November 2009, 22:16

Beautiful Val.

Abbi

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo 27th November 2009, 05:20

Val, beautyfull roses, I like the flower from Jude..obscure love

..but what's about the 'variegated' leaves?(Darcy Bussel too). Are those plant a cuttings?, maybe they need to be grafted to be better feeded Question , I hope it's not the rmv

healthy regards
Bernhard

Last edited by Bemo on 27th November 2009, 07:18; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : completed with Darcy...)

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 27th November 2009, 10:05

Hi Bernhard,
Those roses are this year's bare - roots that are flowering for the first time for me. I have not fed them as I've been told not to feed bare- roots for the first season. Maybe I should Embarassed

orchid40

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 27th November 2009, 10:48

Hi Simon, I like the idea of collective breeding sharing anything that looks good.
There is no doubt the Austins are beautiful roses inspite of the bashing I have given them from a health point of view.

I only have one problem and that is I am running out of time. However if any of my pollinating can be used by others to make an extremely healthy Australian rose that looks and smells like DA's best then I am all for it.

Every now and again some rose breeding article crops up that demonstrates it is all possible to come up with a nice heat loving rose that tolerates humidity.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down