Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

A different kind of rose... hybrid persica

+2
orchid40
Admin
6 posters

Go down

A different kind of rose... hybrid persica Empty A different kind of rose... hybrid persica

Post by Admin 20th November 2009, 19:19

This is 'Euphrates'. It's a hybrid persica (Rosa persica x 'Fairy Changeling'). The species, Rosa persica, is a bright yellow with the red eye-blotch. This variety is one of only a few persica hybrids and is meant to be sterile. However, a breeder form New Zealand contacted me saying they had actually created seedlings from 'Euphrates'. I find the blotch captivating... mine has just started flowering and I've put its pollen onto my multiflora rootstock to try and get something with a blotch with more fertility (the multiflora is super fertile and the seeds germinate easily). Keep your fingers Fingers Crossed

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

A different kind of rose... hybrid persica Empty Re: A different kind of rose... hybrid persica

Post by orchid40 22nd November 2009, 14:10

What a charming rose! It certainly is different, I really like it Smile

orchid40

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2008-02-10

http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

A different kind of rose... hybrid persica Empty Re: A different kind of rose... hybrid persica

Post by Ripley 23rd November 2009, 07:30

It reminds me of the blotches you get in some Dianthus..beautiful
Ripley
Ripley

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Schuler 17th April 2012, 21:12

I dig this old thread out.... Very Happy
What happened with this cross? 'Euphrates' looks really beautyful! I wondering why the genes for the yellow colors have no influence on this plant or is this pale color because of summer heat?

I hope to get 'Tigris' flowering this year to cross her with rugosa so I'll hopefully get something like 'Nigel Hawthorne' with a higher fertility (Is 'Nigel Hawthorne' sterile? I couldn't find any offspring of it Sad )

Schuler

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 18th April 2012, 18:17

where can i get this rose from ?? Very Happy
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 19th April 2012, 05:35

Jordan, what was the name of the nursery you went to on Saturday, have you got thier catalogue, it is in there. Misty have it.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 19th April 2012, 05:46

Schuler, Simon(Admin) was the person that posted the thread about his 'Euphrates'. He has given up this forum and no longer has contact with it so we do not know how his crosss is going, sorry about that.
As for the yellow gene your asking about, to my understanding it can or is 'masked' by the pink gene, someone will correct this if it is wrong.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Schuler 19th April 2012, 17:58

Ah ok, thank you for the information. I've read that there are genes which regulate the degradation of the yellow pigments and these genes are silenced or absent within the yellow roses so that might be the "problem" with this rose Idea

Schuler

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 20th April 2012, 06:39

This might give some reasons for no yellow undertones, when looking at it's lineage there are only pink ad reds, have a look at the link below,
Euphrates
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Schuler 24th April 2012, 16:19

yeah, poor yellow pigments Very Happy I wonder how a cross between Tigris and Persian Yellow would look like - unfortunately, my Perisan Yellow will flower next year Sad but it might give a great yellow with red blotch so after selfing it might be a really good color without to many petals

Schuler

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 24th April 2012, 22:09

roseman wrote:Jordan, what was the name of the nursery you went to on Saturday, have you got thier catalogue, it is in there. Misty have it.

hi david ,
misty dont have it in their cat.. i checked

its beautifull rose
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 25th April 2012, 06:34

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Jordan, this link above is from thier online catalogue, I will check with them tomorrow(Thusday) as I had thought of getting it myself.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 25th April 2012, 07:30

roseman wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Jordan, this link above is from thier online catalogue, I will check with them tomorrow(Thusday) as I had thought of getting it myself.

yeah sorry david , they do have it on their online cat, i was looking in the cat that noel gave me the last time i was their

going there hopefuly on friday to pick up couple of david austin roses
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down