Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Tall standard rose

2 posters

Go down

Tall standard rose Empty Tall standard rose

Post by Billndee 17th November 2009, 22:18

In my front garden I have a rooted root stock that is a good 2 metres tall. It is tied nice and straight to a long star picket so it will never fall over!
The trouble is the buds I put on it have failed to take, but the good news is the root stock has put out a shoot just below the failed t grafts so the sap is still flowing. The bark is still green and ready to slip.
So now I would like to bud it again below its shoot. There is the problem. What rose will I use?
It is in a bed that is all shades of yellow so I would like to use a rose that will blend in with yellows and oranges.
I was looking around today for some ideas and came across my little Christopehr Marlowe that you gave me Simon. It is making some growth and is flowering. I have never seen the bush fully grown so I don't know if it will grow too big for my high standard. Anything too big will smother the roses growing close by.
So what does everyone think?

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Tall standard rose Empty Re: Tall standard rose

Post by Admin 17th November 2009, 22:32

'Christopher Marlowe' is a bit of a spreader... This is mine yesterday (I uploaded this to HMF yesterday as well):

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I think it would be nice growing on a standard and would probably weep. It may grow into the surrounding bushes though as it puts out 2m+ long canes. I didn't prune this one last year but will be giving it a bit of a shape this year after this flush has finished.

A white rose would look really nice in with all those yellows and oranges Dee. Maybe something like 'Seafoam'. I have budwood of this I can send down too. This variety makes a lovely floriferous weeping standard.

Last edited by Simon on 17th November 2009, 22:51; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 17th November 2009, 22:45

Dee... I have a 1m long understock here that I'll be grafting soon and think I'm going to put 'Sweet Chariot' onto it to make a miniature weeping standard. Along these lines... 'Green Ice' would give a similar effect. I have a climbing miniature called 'Nozomi' that has lovely tiny pink/white flowers that would look great as a weeping standard though it doesn't repeat very well. 'Red Cascade' would look amazing on a 2m tall standard... but might clash a bit with your yellows and oranges. The yellow flower carpet might look good in your garden doing the same thing. I was going to suggest 'Crepuscle' like at Woolmers but think this would probably get too big for you in that spot and would probably need a stronger support than a star picket. I've just planted 'Winchester Cathedral' and was thinking this might look good in with your yellows. I have another DA called 'Pegasus' that is a lovely soft creamy yellow/orange that would look good too, but again I think it might get too big. So many good options to choose from Dee...

Last edited by Simon on 17th November 2009, 22:53; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 17th November 2009, 22:47

Had another idea Dee... I have that old HT called 'Golden Emblem' and another Alister Clark HT called 'Lady Huntingfield'. I can send budwood down of these too after they've flowered.. reckon they'd be better on shorter standards though.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down