Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Sowing some seeds

3 posters

Go down

Sowing some seeds Empty Sowing some seeds

Post by Billndee 28th July 2009, 20:44

Encouraged by Simon and Bemo I have separated some seeds from their hips and I am about to chill them for a month.
They are off a Kordes shrub rose called Temptress, aka Korramalu and Roter Korsar released in 2004.
I received this rose as a freebie with my order last winter from Treloars. It is vigorous, disease-free and free flowering. No perfume though. I am very impressed with it, so when it produced a heap of shiney, bright red hips I decided to see if I can grow them.
Does anyone know where I can find its parentage? There is nothing in HMF. Can I read somewhere the registration details of this rose? I expect the parentage would be stated there.

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Sowing some seeds Empty Re: Sowing some seeds

Post by Admin 28th July 2009, 21:36

Hi Dee,

There does not seem to be any US or Australian patents on this rose. If the parentage was to be listed anywhere that's where it would be. The only other way would be to contact Kordes directly to see if they could shed some light on it.

Rose seeds are starting to germinate here at the moment Dee... I sowed 24 Baby Faraux seeds, 91 Papageno seeds, and 56 Gold Coin seeds today because they had started to germinate in the fridge and about 2 weeks ago I sowed a few hundred multiflora seeds that have started to pop their heads up I noticed tonight (I will cull them down to one or two plants for use as virus free understocks). Paul Barden doesn't take the seeds out of the hips before stratification any more. He just cuts the hips off and puts them in a bag in the fridge. After about 8 weeks he takes them out, removes the seeds and sows them directly. Has it been real cold down there? It hasn't been overly cold here lately. I'm thinking that if your hips have been on the bush during this part of winter then they may not need so much time in the fridge. I would put them in now and then start checking them after 3-4 weeks to see if they have started germinating just in case. If not I would leave them 8 weeks in the fridge.

Exciting times... next we'll have you performing planned crosses!!! And THEN Tasmania will take over the world MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 29th July 2009, 01:23

Thats great Billndee, its going to be very excitting comparing all our own original rose babies and follow them as they grow older and are culled or kept.
That rose that you are impressed with and maybe doesn't have a patent or Trademark, might be a good one to grow from cuttings too.
Thanks for telling us about what Paul Barden does Simon, that makes sense to me. My FDY seeds might be starting to crack open.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 29th July 2009, 21:49

Simon wrote:Hi Dee,
Exciting times... next we'll have you performing planned crosses!!! And THEN Tasmania will take over the world MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA

More likely wild seedling rose bushes growing thickly everywhere will take over Tasmania! What a Face

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 29th July 2009, 21:55

Our temperatures have been a top of 12 C and a low of -1 to +2. A lot of COOL. Failry close to our old cool room temperature when we had the cherries.
Yes rosemeadow, when my bush gets a little bigger I hope to strike some cuttings from it because I want to replace my Australian Centenary of Federation roses which suffer badly from black spot in the front garden with Temptress.
Maybe Temptress has not been patented but surely it has been registered? Is that info available to the public?

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 29th July 2009, 22:00

It would have registered... but this has no bearing on the 'copyright' status. It only prevents someone from using the name again.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down