Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Rose Propagation Video (for Carole)

4 posters

Go down

Rose Propagation Video (for Carole) Empty Rose Propagation Video (for Carole)

Post by Alee 3rd May 2009, 16:48

Some of us may have already seen this video before. Its here again for those who haven't.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Alee

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Rose Propagation Video (for Carole) Empty Re: Rose Propagation Video (for Carole)

Post by Carole 4th May 2009, 21:24

Thanks Alee, I found it very interesting. Very different to the way we do the rootstock in Australia.The budder did put his foot on the rootstock to bend it over then bud, as I had been told. I am going to find out what rootstock seeds they use in England and see if we have the same here. If so I will give it a try. Also thanks for photo's you emailed. Carole.
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Rose Propagation Video (for Carole) Empty Re: Rose Propagation Video (for Carole)

Post by Carole 4th May 2009, 21:28

One more thought Alee. I could try it with the seeds of my multiflora. All seedlings should flexible enough to do this with.
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 4th May 2009, 21:53

So will the multiflora seeds I am sending you Carole. I want to know what the white 'tape' is that they stick around the graft. It is this video that made me want to try the bandaid (which by the way is looking like it worked) Rolling Eyes

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 4th May 2009, 22:19

Simon, I just went back through the video and they only say a patch, but what it is actually made of, that I don't know. I can see where you got the band aid idea from but I could not see any hole in there patch where as when we use budding tape we leave the eye exposed as the hole in your band aid would. You certainly wouldn't get a bud to grow without your hole.
The patch they used did seem to deteriate after a fairly short period of time but long enough for the bud to have really taken. I will get super David to get in touch with them and find out. Interesting eh! Carole P.S. Fantastic the bandaid seem to be working ---another thought though scratch - to use bandaids all the time would be a might expensive wouldn't it. Very Happy

Last edited by Carole on 4th May 2009, 22:26; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding a P.S.)
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 5th May 2009, 08:15

Yep... I reckon it would be $$$... I'm not so worried about that though because I only do a very small number per year. I might use one or two boxes at the most. The hole in the bandaid was an original idea Idea (which probably makes no difference since they are ventilated anyway... juts adds to my labour lol! ).

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 5th May 2009, 09:36

Carole, I wouldn't be in a great hurry to get Pommy rootstock, our climate is very different. Look at how crappy DA's roses are out here in the humidity.

I have a few more DA's that are going to the rubbish dump, will end up with about 3 out of twenty. Can't keep the leaves on them here in the humid coastal climate. I note they are much better down south in Vic, Tas, and South Island of NZ. Horses for courses. [section moderated here by Simon].

My youngest daughter worked in Pommy Land for three years and just couldn't stand their weather any more. My wife worked there for two years and loved the place but spent most evenings at the opera and ballet.
Don't think she ever moved out of central heating.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 5th May 2009, 16:26

Ozeboy, I feel have have to reply to your post. Evidently you did not comprehend my post. I did not say that I would be getting either seeds of rootstock or rootstock from England. That would be very costly and the material would have to be put in quarantine for quite some considerable time which would quite possibly make it unviable. So no I was not going to get English rootstock or seeds. What I did say was that I wanted to know what rootstock they used just to see if we have it here. Now next point. Why O why did you buy so many David Austin roses if they do not thrive where you live. Did you not look around your area to see what type of roses grow well there. Then if you chose D.A. and one or two failed WHY did you keep buying them? Here in Mudgee they grow quite well but nothing like they grow in England but I still like them so I grow them. They would most probably grow much better in Victoria and Tasmania than they do here, but you eccept that. Now the weather today in the middle of England has min 10c and a max of 18c last week it was much warmer. It is Spring. Now the gardens in England are much better than the gardens here, maybe different flowers e.g. Clematice , Hellebors , Roses, Carnations, Lupins, Foxgloves the list goes on. We grow those flowers here but they do grow better in England. If you went there you would see the most magnificant gardens. It is not always cold and if your wife spent most evenings at the opera and ballet and didn't move from central heating it sounds by you that she wasted the experiece and joy that comes from being in another country. Your remark about banana trees - we have actuarly had them along with Hibiscus and Frangipani's in our local plant centre's They only say to plant in a sunny position-and I thought that you had to get a permit to grow Bananas - But probably not here because along with Hibiscus and Frangipani at the first sighn of frost they will drop dead anyway.
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 5th May 2009, 16:54

Please note... I have locked this thread until an issue can be sorted out.

EDIT: This post has now been reopened. Play nice people and let's try to stay on topic.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down