Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Repotting Roses.

+4
paulh
jordan71
The Lazy Rosarian
SueH
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Repotting Roses. Empty Repotting Roses.

Post by SueH 4th July 2014, 12:07

Please can anyone advise me on re potting a rose.  I am going to be doing this, probably this weekend, so do I re pot it as you would a "potted plant" or do I completely remove the old soil (potting mix) and start it again as a bare rooted bush?  Thank you all!  Smile

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Repotting Roses. Empty Re: Repotting Roses.

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 4th July 2014, 12:28

Sue this will be an interesting topic I think, the answers will vary. Is the rose in question in a pot now ?. Has it gone "dormant" yet ?, how old is it ?

I have my own ideas.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 4th July 2014, 20:22

hey sue,

I wouldn't remove the potting mix at all, whatever stays on there keep, get a bucket and fill it up with water and if u have seasol, put the rose in there for 20 min or so , then repot it with a fresh potting mix and keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't dry out

hope this helps

D
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh 4th July 2014, 22:48

Also, depends on why you are re potting, if its because it has issues, I personally would remove all soil, wash the roots with the hose. Then re pot, and water in well with seasol.
paulh
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 5th July 2014, 13:23

Sorry Guys!  Should have given all the info!!!   The roses (2) are in pots and have been for 2/3 years.  No issues with either, just thought the time had come to put them in new soil/potting mix.  Also, I heard somewhere, you should prune the roots a little. I'm not into Bonsai!  Hope this further info helps.  Thank you for the info you've given so far.  Smile

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 5th July 2014, 13:25

Ooops - sorry David, yes the roses are dormant. They are 3 years old and have flowered their heads off every year so far!

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 5th July 2014, 15:00

Sue what are there names please ? (variety) not there individual names, peter paul mary, lol! 
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 5th July 2014, 17:07

This is an article I compiled from various sources for a rose society publication a couple of years back which maybe of help

Having roses has both advantages and disadvantages and undoubtedly roses grow better in the ground, however, they are easier to look after in pots.

When roses are grown in pots, they should be re-potted every three years. In the period they can become root bound and do so much sooner, if they are grown in pots that are too small for the particular rose. The re-potting can be done anytime of the year, however, care must be taken during the heat of summer.

After three years is it is more than likely a potted rose will indicate it has become root bound by the rose losing its vigour, becoming difficult to keep watered and roots growing out of the holes in the bottom of the pot.

When it gets to this stage, re-potting the rose is necessary. Before the rose is re-potted it should be traditionally pruned.

To repot a rose:
• First loosen the sides of the pot. The potting mix should be slightly moist, but not too wet.
• You should wear leather gloves to prevent injury to your hands from prickles (thorns).
• Gently pull the rose out of the pot by pulling from the base of the main canes. This will be an easy task for the miniatures, but more muscle will be needed for repotting the larger and more mature plants, so you may require assistance in this endeavor.
• If you are moving the rose to a larger pot, just put a little potting mix in the bottom of the new pot, insert the plant, fill in the spaces with more potting mixture.
• If the rose is returning to the same sized pot about one third of the root ball should be removed using a sharp spade before returning to it the pot.
• After returning the rose to the pot press down to remove air pockets.
• Once this is done the rose should be liberally watered in with a seaweed solution, followed up on a regular basis by generous watering.

There are many formulas for potting mixtures. One found to be quite good is one containing potting mix and course river sand in the ratio of 2/1 with added blood and bone, *dolomite, Seamungus, soil polymer, water crystals and compost.

• The “pH” of the soil should be tested using a Soil pH Test Kit or a PH Soil Test Meter. If the reading is less than 6 ½ then add dolomite. If it is greater than 7 agricultural sulphur should be added.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 6th July 2014, 16:16

Thank you Doug, that's very interesting.  i have recently heard about using sand - 50/50 in potted plants to help with stopping the shrinkage of the "soil".

Dave they are HT's if this is what you mean by names/variety!  Repotting Roses. 2254931222

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 6th July 2014, 19:26

Yes Sue, it was to find out if they were something odd, miniatures or old fashioned roses.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 6th July 2014, 20:55

Do you need a hand lifting them out Sue? I can pop over next weekend if you need some extra muscle.

That's right folks, you should see my 'guns'? Hahahaha. (Aka: bingo wings).
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 7th July 2014, 06:39

Ok Sue, you have had different styles of re-potting offered,mso here is what I would do, very similar to Pauls.
De- pot them, shake as much soil off as possible soak in water and seasol or similar, shake dry, at the base of the rootstock(where the roots start), place your hand around and make a fist and cut all roots below(this is around 125mL/5inches. This is how I explain to people that are planting bare root roses. It make the planting even over the mound in the hole which they are to be planted. What this will do is rejuvenate the root system, they will produce hair roots/feeder roots as if they are bareroots.. I would go up one size in pot if you can, this will also give them a chance to develop further. If the opt is not to large I would wet it then immerse it in a bucket of Seasol or similar till totally wet, take out let drain, save water from it and put it on the garden(no waste), keep moist not wet for the next month or so and I think they will return the favour with beautiful blooms come Spring/Summer. That's what I would do.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 7th July 2014, 11:52

Oh right. So David, do you trim the roots off at 5" when planting bare roots?

I'm trying to figure out how to plant all mine - to bury the graft or not, to plant high (on a mound) or flush with the ground etc. I hadent heard about trimming roots off unless they were diseased or damaged.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 7th July 2014, 12:24

I do Zoe at around that 5" mark.
On the issue of planting above and below ground I am in two minds. I plant mine at around ground level, then as the mulch and soils end up near them some do become below. It is a belief in some circles that the plant will take rooty and also give more support and food to the plant that we want. It also backs up the rootstock if it dies.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 9th July 2014, 12:44

Thanks David. Sorry, haven't logged on for a few days due to a poorly pooch!
It will be this weekend, all being well! Thanks Zoe, you're a pal! Think I'll be able to manage. If I get stuck, I phone you!
I didn't know that about cutting the roots to 5 inches. That sounds really drastic, but sensible when explain. Thank you again David! I always soak my roses in Seasol or equivalent, when planting. Do you put a top dressing on at the time of planting David? This was suggested to me in the past. I would be appreciative of your or anyone else's view.

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 9th July 2014, 19:18

Sue, What do you mean by a "top dressing" please.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 9th July 2014, 20:15

Common Dave...your not that old not to know what a "top dressing" is on a plant that is potted by a female...tut...tut...
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 10th July 2014, 03:16

A rule of thumb when planting bare rooted roses is the amount of wood in the roots should be at least equal to that which is above the ground.

Last edited by Ausrose on 11th July 2014, 16:29; edited 1 time in total

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 11th July 2014, 16:18

Thanks Ausrose and Roseman Smile timely advice, my roses from Treloars are on their way!
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 11th July 2014, 16:36

The AQ and I along with Laurie Newman planted out 28 roses in total in my recently developed Australian rose bed today. Laurie brought us up three China Sunrise(Newman) roses from Melbourne and planted them for us then we planted the majority of the rest. Our techniques were slightly different so it will be interesting when we compare the roses in six months time.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 11th July 2014, 19:53

Doug, could you explain the difference between the two methods please, it would be interesting to see the variations.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 11th July 2014, 21:03

Both of us use the traditional method however I add three different elements to the hole before placing the rose in it and back filling.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 12th July 2014, 06:42

Ok Doug, it is "tell time". What were the "three different elements" that you added ?
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 12th July 2014, 07:44

roseman wrote:Ok Doug, it is "tell time". What were the "three different elements" that you added ?

Blood, sweat and tears?
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 12th July 2014, 09:31

Not so much blood sweat and tears but rather strain and pain when you suffer with the dreaded arthritis.

David if I told you I'd have to kill you.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next