Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Cuttings for standards - a query

3 posters

Go down

Cuttings for standards - a query Empty Cuttings for standards - a query

Post by hariet~rose 11th January 2014, 09:31

G'morning Rosebuds, I am hoping to graft onto some Dr Huey to make some standards. I have planted a heap of cuttings 80-100 cm in length (see picture).. Should I rub the thorns off and peck out all but the top buds now or later if they take? thanks,  bounce 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2012-07-23

Back to top Go down

Cuttings for standards - a query Empty Re: Cuttings for standards - a query

Post by Ausrose 11th January 2014, 10:42

I will leave the answers to your questions to the experts however I was interested to note you are using Dr Huey as rootstock. I have always found and been told by those who should know multiflora is the best rootstock for the eastern Australia as it prefers slightly acid soil which dominates eastern Australia whereas Dr Huey prefers slighly alkaline soil which dominates much of South Australia and Western NSW. This is not to mention suckering problems which Dr Huey outstrips both multiflora and fortuniana.

Last edited by Ausrose on 11th January 2014, 17:51; edited 1 time in total

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 11th January 2014, 11:55

Now that is interesting.. I would actually prefer to work with multiflora so I potted some of them today as well.but i haven't struck them before so we will see how they go.. . they were much easier to work with than Dr Huey as no thorns.. i have so many Dr Huey's running feral in my garden that you won't be surprised to hear that our district is on the alkaline side.. so i can grow Dianthus as well but Rhododendrons sulk.. and the suckering of Dr Huey is a real pain.. tomorrow morning when it is cool again i will take some fortuniana cuttings and pot them up (they are very vigorous here) - cheers
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 11th January 2014, 13:37

Where do I start Caroline, as mentioned in another thread about practice, that is what I would do with the Doctor. As for alkaline versus acidic, I would go with the 'multiflora' on one thing, it does not "SUCKER" like the good Doctor.
As for your 'fortuniana', how old is it ? ant seeds now or in the past. You do not have any 'R. laxa' by chance Caroline, this is a very interesting 'rootstock'
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 11th January 2014, 17:57

I'll be interested to see whether you are able to strike fortuniana as I am led to believe it doesn't strike as easily as Dr Huey or Multiflora. As for Multiflora it strikes very easily just take a cutting, take out the bud eyes except the last two top ones, heel it then place in a pot of wet coarse river sand then place in a position where the pot gets dappled sunlight i.e. under a tree. The pot should be kept moist.

Last edited by Ausrose on 11th January 2014, 18:04; edited 1 time in total

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 11th January 2014, 18:04

many thanks - tomorrow i will go and take the bud eyes out above ground, except for the last two, on the cuttings I made today.

I will try Rosa laxa as well Roseman, as I have one plant of it and may as well give it a whirl (thorny little devil though)
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 12th January 2014, 06:12

hariet~rose wrote:many thanks - tomorrow i will go and take the bud eyes out above ground, except for the last two, on the cuttings I made today.
From what the above says, I get the inclination that there might be some 'eyes' below the surface, if so they also will need to be removed as they will shoot later.

I will try Rosa laxa as well Roseman, as I have one plant of it and may as well give it a whirl (thorny little devil though)
If you are lucky enough to have hips from the Laxa I would start it from seed and then bud onto them. This will eliminate the 'thorn' issue
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 12th January 2014, 07:26

righto - thanks.. only 1 flower on the R. laxa and no hip.. am thinking that the stock for this R. laxa came originally from a stem that had yet to flower, hence the dearth of flowers on my plant {it once had Jude the Obscure as the scion, which is why i have this root stock lolling about}
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down