Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Mid-term report on Swane's Sightsaver

+3
silkyfizz
Ausrose
betsyw
7 posters

Go down

Mid-term report on Swane's Sightsaver Empty Mid-term report on Swane's Sightsaver

Post by betsyw 29th December 2013, 19:28

My beautiful, super-perfumed young Sightsaver (that Finbarr picked out his very self from the back room!)  has been with me for eight months now. Do I love this plant or what?

The blooms aren't just flat boring pale pink, they glow a bit with a whisper of apricot, most visible near dusk. The fragrance is strong, classic rose with a dash of grapefruit.

Now here's the real kicker: in a no-spray garden,  it's the ONLY strongly scented rose I have that is continuously 98% spot-free. Like Pope John Paul II, SS manages to combine power perfume with extraordinary disease resistance. It's a rare combination, but it CAN be done, folks.

I wish silky or Dan were here to take the pix, but it's just me, so be forgiving of the plant even if the shots are thudly dull. I couldn't wait until all 20 buds were open, so I have only captured two of the early starters. You can see in the second pic how strong and well clothed the young plant is - this despite losing one big cane to the wind, and one smaller one to a clumsy guest.

Only downsides: 1) this rose is extremely attractive to pests, borer/earwig bud- destructive types in particular, and 2) the 5" blooms come in 2- 3 month flushes (so far), with no in-between bursts of flower. As the plant matures, repeat should increase. As it is, you 'd never, ever label this lovely girl as stingy.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Mid-term report on Swane's Sightsaver Empty Re: Mid-term report on Swane's Sightsaver

Post by Ausrose 29th December 2013, 19:38

I purchased Sightsaver last year specifically as a rose for the three full bloom class on the show bench and although I haven't had it on the show bench as yet I have high hopes for it in the coming Autumn.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Mid-term report on Swane's Sightsaver Empty Re: Mid-term report on Swane's Sightsaver

Post by silkyfizz 29th December 2013, 20:14

Betsy your Sightsaver looks like a beauty. Strongly perfumed and super healthy? Wowee! And well clothed into the bargain. Pity about the time it takes to recharge its batteries but you're right, this will probably improve with a bit more time. Pity too about losing canes. Isn't it a bugger? Yesterday we had "gale' gusts with the cool change after a scorching day. A few trees in the neighborhood lost large limbs. I lost a few big canes with heaps of buds, even though some were staked and tied.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 29th December 2013, 22:20

It certainly does look to be a very pretty rose , ahh another in the memory bank !!
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 30th December 2013, 07:55

Not only is it a magnificent rose I believe a certain amount of the purchase price goes towards a worthwhile charity.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 30th December 2013, 08:07

Betsy, it looks beautiful, that is on my list next year

thanks for sharing Smile
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 30th December 2013, 08:44

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 30th December 2013, 11:16

Wow, a show rose? I didn't see that coming, Ausrose. I'm impressed. Hope she does you proud.

Lost canes: silky, I am with you in spirit. Like a death in the family, isn't it? Makes me melancholic. Potential cut down in its prime. Mind you, the damn borer holes in the buds don't make me sad, they enrage me. In a fury, I reach for the Yates Rose Gun (checking to make sure there are no bees around).

Dan, I look forwad to your opinion next year. . Maree, pinks are one of your specialties. You should consider ;-))))))))
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 30th December 2013, 12:17

Another  pink I have a very high opinion of for the show bench is the exhibition rose Admiral Rodney. Not only does it have excellent classical hybrid tea form but it has fragrance as well which is not often found in an exhibition bloom. The only other rose that comes to mind is Pope John  Paul II. As you can see by the photo it is available through Treloar Rose.

I can assure you both Admiral Rodney and Sightsaver are not JAP roses.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 30th December 2013, 12:44

"....it has fragrance as well which is not often found in an exhibition bloom."

I find that very sad, very bad. Once upon a time, fragrance was a rose's most renowned and sought after quality, a centuries-old metaphor and symbol for perfume.

Absolutely no criticism of you or any other honoured exhibitor here, Ausrose, but I have to ask: when did beauty (in imagined form) obliterate soul in rose shows? So many dog breeds have gone the same way, bred to conform to some arbitrary ideal form that ruined the breed's original fine qualities.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 30th December 2013, 13:01

Betsy, I will not get involved with this bit, other to say a couple of words. "Improvement in the eye of the beholder(breeder)(judge)(marketing)
Nothing here to do with you Doug in your judging capacity), as we have had similar conversations other than here.

Last edited by roseman on 30th December 2013, 13:04; edited 1 time in total
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 30th December 2013, 13:02

True. And a conversation that shoudl be another thread, anyway.

But hey, on the bright side, isn't it great that John Paul II and Sightsaver are getting show ring exposure via Ausrose? It is, it is!
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 30th December 2013, 14:20

So this tread isn't hijacked I am starting another thread titled Judging Exhibition Blooms as I would like add to the discussion.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 30th December 2013, 20:51

Ausrose , what do you mean by JAP roses ? thanks
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 30th December 2013, 20:57

Let me take a guess: Just Another Pink?  Cool 

Probably not, but might apply. The Admiral looks very fine, indeed
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 30th December 2013, 22:13

Correct

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 31st December 2013, 18:29

Lol ha ha Betsy , well done , you're one ahead of me lol ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 31st December 2013, 20:59

Betsy you're such a bright spark! I was trying to puzzle it out. JAP - who would've thunk it? Lol
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 1st January 2014, 08:06

I thought JAP stood for "Jackson and Perkins" rose breeders from the USA.  Mushroom 
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 1st January 2014, 08:53

J&P are usually abbreviated just like so, with an ampersand separating the J and the P
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 1st January 2014, 09:01

Not really a bright spark, silky, although your kind remark goes immediately to the near-empty bag of compliments ;-)) Two expressions regarding pink roses have been in circulation like, forever: one is "what the world really needs is another pink rose" (irony), and "it's just another pink" . It was a very, very short hop to Ausrose's meaning, especially as I keep saying that Sightsaver isn't just another tiresome pink.

betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 4th January 2014, 16:06

Thanks for sharing the pics betsy. The little half circle cut-aways on your rose leaves are from leaf cutter bees (Australian native) and very desirable.. have you seen them at work in your garden i wonder? my eldest daughter saw one flying with the little bits of leaves clasped in its mouth.. she was very lucky to see this.. I have unearthed their nests accidently but reburied them..
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2012-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down