Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Sightsaver surprise

+2
SueH
betsyw
6 posters

Go down

Sightsaver surprise Empty Sightsaver surprise

Post by betsyw 8th October 2013, 14:55

Was just pottering around the kitchen, and the rich scent of rose came wafting through. Looked out the window, and AHA!  I hadn't even noticed the bud, but the newest Sightsaver bareroot has sprung a 4 1/2" bloom. Haven't even potted it up properly yet. Looks ugh baby pink here, but that's iPhone photography for you. Lots more lustrous, with a hint of salmon. The thrips have been at work, but still it's not bad for a first effort from this little plant.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Sightsaver surprise Empty Re: Sightsaver surprise

Post by SueH 8th October 2013, 15:50

Beautiful betsyw! The colour looks fine to me - I can see the salmon/coral hues!! Very nice! Just imagine what it will be like when you have potted it up properly!

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 8th October 2013, 15:51

Lovely Photos, It is always nice to get a little Surprise in the morning.
Hope you have continued luck, as she seems to liking her home.....  Sightsaver surprise 931050920
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2013-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 8th October 2013, 20:35

Love that touch of salmon in it Betsy. I remember when they first marketed Sightsaver as a charity rose for vision impaired so fragrance was important. Good to know the the perfume is all its cracked up to be, cos I know how you love perfumed roses.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 8th October 2013, 21:03

Your garden looks very lush and healthy Betsy , is it a bit tropical where you live ?
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 8th October 2013, 21:14

Hey, we fragrance hounds have to stick together! God knows it's a tough world out there for the perfume priority crowd.

Seriously: this rose is a huge departure for me. I dislike pale pink as a rule, and in any case there are a gazillion fragrant baby pink rose out there, but something about this one drew me. It doesn't have much press, and the name is so cause-y. Even its alternate name The Oregonian, is out in Pacific Northwest nowheresville.
Don't know exactly when I decided to take it on, but I am attached to it, so attached, in fact, that the plant shown here is SS Number 2. This season is make or break. Could be compost, could be my sole pale pink/salmon darling. We'll see.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 8th October 2013, 21:24

TRopical? Maree my darling, my place is 4 acres of Northern hemisphere influence. I am surrounded by maples and elms and deciduous trees of all kinds,massive 100-year old cypresses and fir trees. plus huge hedges. The property looks like it wants to be in Connecticut , but can;t afford the rent.

BUT there are three incongrous, enormous, very old oil palms out front, plus their Alexandra-palm lookalike babies. I want to"relocate" the big boys to teh tip, but Council laws forbid it.

I should not moan. It's a pretty property. Glad it's mine, but yeah, I'd rather be in Paddington or Balmain. Courtyard gardening - it's the real me ;-)))

Will take pix at some point to bore everyone into a coma..
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 8th October 2013, 21:45

Wow Betsy, 4 acres!! Are you kidding me? Obviously no spatial restrictions for you! Sounds divine. Yes post some pics please. I won't get bored, promise. I might drool a bit though. Lol
OK if pale pink doesn't float your boat, with the exception of SS, what colours are your thing Betsy? I know you love bold dark pink, as in Parole. Must admit pale pink usually doesn't do much for me either. In fact, there are some pinks that make me feel downright nauseous. I saw a nice one in Bunnings today, a deeper pink, its perfume nearly blew me out of my shoes! Think it was called Child's Love but can't find much on HMF. I think I remember someone mentioned it a while ago.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 9th October 2013, 22:17

Gees Betsy 4 acres , room for roses , natives , perennialls , chooks , trees , wow i can only imagine , sounds absolutely divine , lucky you , pics please .......
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 9th October 2013, 22:28

Honey, what I'd like is another terrace in Paddington LOL. I don't understand "land" - I think in courtyard spatial dimensions. I am a World Champeen when it comes to climbing plants. Drifts and stands and that sort of thing is way beyond me.
PS: Oh and in these parts, four acres is considered to be one paddock. For possibly two horses. My friend Gail and her husband are on 122 acres. I am considered positively suburban.
Child's Love - I have heard this one mentioned recently, but where????
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh 10th October 2013, 02:41

awesome betsy, nice garden to
paulh
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11