Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Bare root roses for this year , what have you decided on ?

+7
silkyfizz
AutumnDamask
betsyw
Happy roses
jordan71
The Lazy Rosarian
maree
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bare root roses for this year , what have you decided on ? Empty Bare root roses for this year , what have you decided on ?

Post by maree 22nd March 2013, 01:26

Just wondering what everyone has decided on , if you are ordering any bare root roses , me i'm playing it safe this year , with mostly tried and tested roses , one roughie in Black Caviar . Have ordered PJP11, Jubilee Celebration , Violina , Olde Fragrance , Fragrant Cloud , Nahema, any one ordered any other new release roses ? Problem is , now i am seriously running out of room , have a spot for three more roses , that get morning and a bit of afternoon sun and thats it , mmmnn wouldn't a bigger block be nice ....
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Bare root roses for this year , what have you decided on ? Empty Re: Bare root roses for this year , what have you decided on ?

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 22nd March 2013, 06:10

Not buying this year, that is why I placed the thread about budwood. We are off to England and see Uncle Dave[DA]( as he was referred to by an old member)
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Bare root roses for this year , what have you decided on ? Empty Re: Bare root roses for this year , what have you decided on ?

Post by jordan71 22nd March 2013, 06:42

roseman wrote:Not buying this year, that is why I placed the thread about budwood. We are off to England and see Uncle Dave[DA]( as he was referred to by an old member)

lucky you david i wish i could get there .. one day i hope
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 22nd March 2013, 06:45

maree wrote:Just wondering what everyone has decided on , if you are ordering any bare root roses , me i'm playing it safe this year , with mostly tried and tested roses , one roughie in Black Caviar . Have ordered PJP11, Jubilee Celebration , Violina , Olde Fragrance , Fragrant Cloud , Nahema, any one ordered any other new release roses ? Problem is , now i am seriously running out of room , have a spot for three more roses , that get morning and a bit of afternoon sun and thats it , mmmnn wouldn't a bigger block be nice ....

not ordering many this year . out of the new ones , black caviar and couple of the new austins . and few of the old roses . i think my list this year is about 10 compare to last year it was 40
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 22nd March 2013, 06:47

If you keep buying Dan you will be able to open a nursery soon roflmao only joking, you have some amazing roses
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 22nd March 2013, 06:49

haha thanks david .. if i keep buying roses i will need to buy a farm lol
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 22nd March 2013, 06:53

Mudgee is nice
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 22nd March 2013, 06:54

lol just waiting on the lotto to come through david roflmao
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 22nd March 2013, 08:36

Maree, I know what you mean about space. Thinking just a couple. Kardinal or Papa Meiland or Aust Red Cross for reds.
Jubilee Celebration.
Melbourne Town if can't get it then Apricot Nector or perhaps Marilyn Monroe. At least have time to decide...Will probably go to the rose show when it comes to see whats what.
I am thinking about Purple Tiger as a novelty rose however.... Very Happy
Happy roses
Happy roses

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 22nd March 2013, 09:20

Wow Roseman , sounds like a great trip , going anywhere else ?
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 22nd March 2013, 12:34

jordan71 wrote:lol just waiting on the lotto to come through david roflmao
Dan, I guess we are all waiting on the lotto/lottery win. If I do I will shout you a ticket to see Uncle Dave.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 22nd March 2013, 12:39

maree wrote:Wow Roseman , sounds like a great trip , going anywhere else ?
It all depends on finances Maree, other rose nurseries if possible. The main reason for this trip is 5 birthday's and 1 anniversary, all in the month of July.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 22nd March 2013, 12:42

Happy, if you can't get "Melbourne Town", you will be happy with "Apricot Nector"
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 22nd March 2013, 13:07

WEll, so far I've ordered more of what I have - FF, Day Breaker, Fragrant Cloud, Baronne Ed de Rothschild, etc.

My tear-away crazy-person purchase is Black Caviar. Also trialling Augusta Luise, not crazy there.

Now I want Louisa Jane, the sport of BEdR that one of you fabulous people here(Autumn Damask?) put me onto. Will hold off on that decision until July, when I consider the wisdom of a Magic Garden order.

In the meantime, we are off to Swane's on Monday!!! I have my eye on one possibility - Sightsaver, so there's a pun - but ya never know what will happen with me and a cart and a rose smorgesbord. (and a balaclava and a shotgun and a "visit" to a local bank)
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 22nd March 2013, 18:58

HappyRoses , Red Cross has a lovely fragrance , i've seen Purple Tiger , doesn't have a fragrance , nice colour ,though, i guess when i run out of spots for roses , then i'll just look at the ones i've got and non performing ones will make room for new roses . Roseman hope yours and mine numbers in Tattslotto come up , have always wanted to do one of those garden tours overseas , Betsy have a great time Monday , so jealous ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 22nd March 2013, 19:43

I noticed 'Melbourne Town' in at Newstead Roses the other day when I was forced (!!) to loiter there for an hour.
They are also the only ones I know of selling St Brigid's Rose (Dawson). Those plants aren't new and fresh though (an unknown rose for most people of course). Was tempted to buy them anyway to give them a home. Wink
Betsy - it wasn't me re Louisa Jane. Smile
I'm still ... avoiding.... my List. *g* Because I know it will be ten times bigger than I can afford (etc). I will try to narrow it down though. *coughcough* Hide

Last edited by AutumnDamask on 22nd March 2013, 19:44; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 22nd March 2013, 19:53

roseman wrote:
jordan71 wrote:lol just waiting on the lotto to come through david roflmao
Dan, I guess we are all waiting on the lotto/lottery win. If I do I will shout you a ticket to see Uncle Dave.

thank you david that is very kind Smile
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 22nd March 2013, 20:26

Betsy have a great time at Swanes. Don't forget the camera and take lots of pics. I'm still dithering about what to order. Planning on a visit to Magic Gardens next week to confirm my choices, just want to see how they are looking. Hope everything is in autumn flush.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 22nd March 2013, 20:29

Silky, if there are any Louisa Janes to be seen in bloom around at MG, can you check them out for me?

Camera is charged and ready!
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 22nd March 2013, 20:43

Will do Betsy!
Unfortunately MG don't have Daybreaker, Firefighter or Francis Dubrueil, so a lot depends on what I see and I'll decide from there.
I'll take pictures too.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 24th March 2013, 21:19

Little Darling, Goldilocks, Pinocchio, Pink Parfait, Evelyn Fison,
Amber Queen, Spartan, Lavender Jewel (Mini), Mister Bluebird (Mini)
Cinderella (Mini), Jean Kenneally (Mini), Plum Duff (Mini),
Pucker Up (Mini), 100 Not Out.

Peer Gynt budded. Dr A J Verharge budded, Tiki budded and the cream of the crop Floradora budded.

And about another 20 odd different ones budded.budded.

A very vigorous 'Peace' budded. Might be one of the last left on this planet. Really there are too many to list.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 25th March 2013, 12:45

Wow , thats quite a few Ozeboy , when you say Peace , is this the Peace that is in the rose lists ? i have read that it is notoriously hard to grow ..
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 25th March 2013, 16:39

Maree, the 'Peace' listed is the HT bred in the early 1940's by Meillands.
Not to be confused with the the Tea 1902 which I also grow.
I have the 1940's one budded because it's been reported to be outstanding for health and vigour and not virused. Now that's hard to believe since all are considered poor doers and virused. My failure to find an unvirused one has lead me through the best rose nurseries in the country only to find them all virused .

The buds from this clone hopefully are as good as the description sent to me by some very experienced rose people. Only time will tell but it will be nice to have something like the original that flew out from France as the Germans were pouring into France during the war.

Maree, it's notorously hard to grow because it has been over propagated from clones many times removed from the original and since 99.9% are virused it's become a dud.

The recipe for good budding is to use clones as close as possible to the original one bred from seed and take buds from vigorous plants growing very well.

I am going to scale down rose propagation for I have too many to look after. The Mini and Mini Flora's are looking more attractive for they grow well in large pots or half wooden beer barrels.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 25th March 2013, 16:44

Bruce you age is showing "beer barrels" most if not all would not know what they look like or even seen one.
As for "Peace" do you want any Clb of it, let me know.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 25th March 2013, 17:29

Okay that explains a lot Ozeboy , i've been reading up on the history of this rose and would love a hybrid T one , but i would'nt buy one of the ones that are currently on sale , as you say and from what i have read its a dud .....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next