Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

The best way to take soil samples

3 posters

Go down

The best way to take soil samples Empty The best way to take soil samples

Post by betsyw 9th March 2013, 08:34

By invitation, I am taking soil samples to our big nursey at Maitland. I have never taken soil samples in my life. What is the best practice?
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

The best way to take soil samples Empty Re: The best way to take soil samples

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 9th March 2013, 08:52

How big is the area, a plot system is used. A core of soil is taken from each plot. they are all added together then a mean average is taken. If done individually a different result will apply. All this depends if it is free or a cost is involved.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 9th March 2013, 09:04

It was offered as a freebee, because we are such easy marks - er - good customers.

By plot, do you mean a grid? The piece of garden I want to samplearea is about 25m x 7m at its widest point. Or should I not take all this too seriously , and just grab about 5 samples, labelled for each semi-definable section?
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 9th March 2013, 11:36

Betsy, if it is free and they will do individual samples, I would go that way. Yes grid pattern is what is taken, the plot is from where they were taken.
Ok the same applies for the 5 samples, are you going to do them as one or individual ?.
Is this for the health of the entire bed or more for the roses. ?
A core sample using a tube is ideal, to the depth of say the roses, 6 to 12 inches if it was me.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 9th March 2013, 12:00

It's for the bed as part of the front-of-house plantings. The bed would be in front of a row of 17 established gardenias, so not for roses. I'm just curious about the soil itself, if it's utter crap and needs complete replacing, or is it okay as a base, and if so, what's the pH.

Soooo. We'll take five individual samples, going down to a 12" core. Might take a few more, further out, too. Got it.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 9th March 2013, 14:15

Betsy, are your gardenias doing well there. As you know they like acidic soil so that might be an indication of where your soil is at? It will be good to know to what extent, so go for it, especially if the testing is free. If it was me, I would use your soil as a base and improve that, rather than get in totally new soil. Heard some horror stories of that going pear shaped. What do you envisage going in there?
So many established gardenias. Wow, I'm envious, just love them when they are well grown and lush. My 3 young ones, less than a year old, have shown good growth so far. With white ginger lily and daphne, I'm hoping for knockout scent near the back door.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 9th March 2013, 14:38

silky, thegardenias are in specially made beds just for them. they were added about 5 years ago along the front of teh homestead-style house, slightly overspaced if you ask me (I would have put in 25-30) I'm assuming it's a acidic soil, for that reason. I want to know what the original soil in front might be.

Once again, we thinking alike. I am in love with my gawky butterfly ginger. It has produced some specatcular flowers this season, all smelling better than any rose I've ever owned.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down