Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Couldn't help it

+8
AutumnDamask
The Lazy Rosarian
maree
betsyw
neptune
paulh
Rose-Anna
silkyfizz
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Couldn't help it - Page 2 Empty Re: Couldn't help it

Post by Ozeboy 10th December 2012, 19:48

Has anyone killed a Powton Tree? They are very difficult to kill and have extremely invasive roots. I'll list the methods and give the results.

1 Cut with an axe all round the trunk and fill with Tree killer. Result the tree showed no sign of being effected.

2 Completely ringbark the trunk with a bow saw and chip out the wood between the two rings. Then poured Glysophate around the ringbark. Result tree showed no sign of being effected.

3 Bore 1" holes all round to a depth of approx 6". These were filled with straight Glysophate on 3 occasions. No sign of slowing up growth.

4 I bought an extension for the drill and now drilled approx 12" to the centre of the trunk. Then filled these with straight Glysophate on 3 occasions. Then the leaves showed signs of dying and eventually the trees looked dead. However there are a few suckers coming up from the roots which I will treat.

Warning!! don't plant Powton trees anywhere within 100 yards of a house, paving or driveway.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 10th December 2012, 20:11

Good advice there guys , i reckon if a neighbours tree roots come into my backyard they are fair game for a dose of roundup , this is suburbia after all ......
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 10th December 2012, 23:46

Thank you for your suggestions everyone. Just wish I could blitz a lot of things next door - golden elm 1st, then the ancient gigantic pine trees (I mean who plants pine trees in suburbia?? Just one limb nearly flattened a house few years back) then the line of cypress trees along the fence.
Meanwhile, roundup is looking good.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 10th December 2012, 23:49

And Ozeboy, thanks for the warning about Powton trees. Who would have thought such a pretty looking tree could be so invasive and tough. Not me. Now I know, I won't be fooled.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 11th December 2012, 07:14

silkyfizz wrote:Don't know what came over me! Must be one of those seniors moments I've heard about. Popped into a local nursery yesterday on my way home, just to get some more mulch...when BAM! there I am in front of the roses. Fragrant Cloud waved her glorious blooms at me and I just melted. But wait...that's not all. Good time methinks to match her up with just the right colour. BAM! Red Intuition - marriage made in heaven. Then another FC and Mr Lincoln joined the party too. With some sages, russell lupins and petunias. Let me tell you my purse was a darn sight lighter on the way home. But oh, the perfume in the car as I drove home was intoxicating. I'm still a bit dazed and have vowed not to drive that way again, because I now know this is beyond my power to control.

lol

naughty silky
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 11th December 2012, 07:55

Silky, naughty, naughty, impulse buying again. Fragrant Cloud wouldn't be an option for me as it is too Blackspot and Mildew prone.
If a rose has a lot of fragrance then beware for there's a big chance it is not healthy. Always check as I have mentioned numerous times.

It's not all bad as breeders must be chasing it's fragrance. Has 567 descendents according to HMF.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 11th December 2012, 08:49

And here's the truth from my POV: Fragrant Cloud has never been a bad eyesore heartbreaking blackspotter, lollipop on a stick wretch for me, in any garden I've had. Like Ozeboy says, bs comes with the fragrance territory in 20th century HTs, but my idea of wretched bs is what you get with , say, Angel Face, Barbra, and many of the Meillands circa 1980s-1990s.(Insert your own nightmare bs rose here)

There's a reason FC remains beloved enough to sell out from bareroot catalogues,year after year after year.Word goes around, and around and around about her. No fragrance garden is complete without FC, IMO. And she's a doer, too, not a stingy creature. I believe she does really well in a container, too, possibly better than the ground. Can't swear to that observation as unimpeachable info, but it's been my experience.

So many descendants! No wild successes? Perhaps she is a solitaire of nature, like those Triple Crown winners whose progeny never wins a major race. Tantau's lucky genetic freak.
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 11th December 2012, 14:57

Well the specimens I bought were the healthiest plants I could wish for, huge, and very robust with lots of buds. That's why I was stopped in my tracks Betsy. Ozeboy I hear what you say, so I will be diligent about feeding and watching for bs. For that glorious perfume, I'm willing to cut her some slack. And that colour combination with Red Intuition is sheer perfection, with the lighter stripes perfectly matched to the dark coral of FC. Just a feast for the senses.
Jordan, what can I say....I just couldn't help it! You know just what I mean, don't you?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 11th December 2012, 18:38

Silky, does your Red Intuition have a scent?
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2012-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 11th December 2012, 19:57

silkyfizz wrote:Well the specimens I bought were the healthiest plants I could wish for, huge, and very robust with lots of buds. That's why I was stopped in my tracks Betsy. Ozeboy I hear what you say, so I will be diligent about feeding and watching for bs. For that glorious perfume, I'm willing to cut her some slack. And that colour combination with Red Intuition is sheer perfection, with the lighter stripes perfectly matched to the dark coral of FC. Just a feast for the senses.
Jordan, what can I say....I just couldn't help it! You know just what I mean, don't you?

uhhhhhhhaaaaaaa roflmao
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 11th December 2012, 20:04

Rosy, wish I could say yes, but alas only faint scent, but really beautiful blooms. I'm not a great one for stripey ones usually but RI is subtle and rich and beautifully formed. Doesn't fade, maybe just a tad, but not noticeably like a lot of reds. I normally don't even consider a rose without fragrance so I'm quite surprised how much I love this one.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 11th December 2012, 20:10

Jordan I think we all suffer from the same ailment. Don't fight it, just go with the flow Couldn't help it - Page 2 3406359304
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 11th December 2012, 20:14

I bought it for the same reasons Silky, but mine sadly does not have a scent either Sad
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 11th December 2012, 20:20

Rosy that's why I'm going to trick my nose by planting RI in amongst heavy duty fragrancers. That way I'll just get blown away by delicious perfume and visual beauty to boot. That the theory anyway....
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 11th December 2012, 20:24

Haha Silky! That is a brilliant idea!
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 11th December 2012, 20:27

I'm going to plant FC and Valencia in my fragrant standard rose garden next year , knowing full well that they will need care , i don't use pesticides , but i do use heaps of Seasol type products and organic fertilizers , so they are healthy plants and for the perfume i think its worth it !!!
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 12th December 2012, 07:00

silkyfizz wrote:Jordan I think we all suffer from the same ailment. Don't fight it, just go with the flow Couldn't help it - Page 2 3406359304

silky. i just have scratched few roses for next season , as i have no more room for 10 or more lol
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 12th December 2012, 09:01

I'm very impressed with my Red Intuition, growing like crazy with plenty of buds, and last for ages in the vase and I always gets comments on it. Shame about the lack of scent as that would have been a real bonus.
Happy roses
Happy roses

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 12th December 2012, 11:41

Good to know it's a strong performer Happy roses, that's what I'm banking on.
Jordan, let's wait and see if you stick to your guns. I'll check in on you next autumn lol
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 12th December 2012, 18:49

Happy Roses, I see in HMF that you initially had cane dieback on RI, as did SteveinAus. Clearly RI has survived and thrived for you, but dieback seems to be an issue.
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 13th December 2012, 08:49

Yes Betsyw, it was not the one I have now. the original one I have did very poorly and constantly diedback up until I gave up on it and yanked it out. It came from a reputable nursery too. This one I bought from bunnings on impulse and decided to give it another go. No dieback and it's throwing up new canes like it's on steriods. It's in a pot like the first one, I haven't done anything different... scratch I don't get it.
Happy roses
Happy roses

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum