Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Firefighter

+6
RosyTeesh
dannyboy
Ozeboy
maree
betsyw
Happy roses
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Firefighter Empty Firefighter

Post by Happy roses 27th November 2012, 10:53

Just a question, Firefighter is supposed to last for a week give or take. Mine doesn't last long at all and I wondered if some plants are just like that or will it settle down eventually?
Happy roses
Happy roses

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Firefighter Empty Re: Firefighter

Post by betsyw 27th November 2012, 11:07

Definitely lasts for me, both on the bush and in the vase. I must say, though, that my two FFs were nice last year (from bareoot), but not a mind-blowing rose variety. This second season, they are EXTREMELY nicer, both in flowering quanity and intervals, in flower size and basal breaks, and - here's the big bonus - with a richer, more complex scent.

I'm not a patient rosarian, but I liked FF well enough last year to persist with it, and this second year was the pay-off. I am her most ardent proponent. Your FF will settle, I can assure you

PS: I find that I can cut this one when the bud has just opened, and it will continue to unfurl in the vase. Was FF aka Hacienda and all its other names originally bred for the florist trade???
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 27th November 2012, 11:36

HappyRoses , i'll second everything Betsy says there , the first year i was doubtfull of this rose , but this year , forget if its second or third it has really come along , exactly as Betsy has said . I'm hoping Blackberry Nip does the same , as its planted and not in a pot ....
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 27th November 2012, 13:32

Firefighter one of the best red HT's to come along so far. I've grown it since the very first release and as the girls above mention most of the goodies I must mention, stake the new water shoots for they are so tall with numerous blooms to a new water shoot. I just hate to see those water shoots blown off.

It's one of my favourite HT's.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 27th November 2012, 13:42

Thanks for the advice everyone, it is beautiful even my better half who couldn't give a toss about roses likes it. I will be staking, Ozeboy when it gets going, just not a lot of growth at the moment very slow. I have to admit the second one I just bought which is younger, seems to last a little longer with blooms. All at their own pace I guess.
Happy roses
Happy roses

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 27th November 2012, 14:44

If it's of any consolation:

My pair of FFs were both from Swanes, both from the same crop, both in identical conditions, and as alike as Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito in "Twins". One grew and bloomed, the other sat there for the whole season in a daze. It didn't grow up, and it didn't grow across. I don't even think it produced more than two teensy flowers I never even saw a new leaf. Just nuthin'. I would have discarded any other stupid rose, but at $45 a pop for a potted FF, I was loathe to write it off.

Fast-forward to right now: You couldn't tell Arnie from Danny this season. Oomph.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 27th November 2012, 16:36

I haven't yet seen a rose I would pay $45 for and as for buying two, I'm in shock. A moment please while I recover and check your post again.
Yeh! definately $45.Was the cashiers hand shaking when you handed over the $90. It's a great rose and when fully grown to about 1500 one can see some of the $45 value.

Mine has been regrafted onto Multiflora which I have great confidence in regarding compatability and less suckering.

Variation in growth from the beginning can be caused by the understock and grafted bud tissue not aligning perfectly but over time this rectifies itself.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 27th November 2012, 16:46

I actually did die of shock, Ozeboy. The Firefighters have been planted on my grave. Some poor schlock in the Hunter is channeling me, and he doesn't even like roses. He's a terrible typist, too, but we ghosts can't be choosy.

betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 27th November 2012, 17:33

Lol, Ozeboy , i have paid $45.00 for roses many, many a time , my FF is from Swanes too , i have to say all the roses i have bought from Swanes i have been happy with , i have paid more from other nurserys and less from other nurserys and they have been crap, can i say that word here . I have to stake all my roses here as i live in a windy area , i didn't stake poor Violina and she lost a lot of her stems ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 28th November 2012, 03:17

I bought FF this year barerooted for $14.00 and so far has been a delight.Strong healthy plant and mine has gave me a few nice big flowers and the perfume is so strong.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 28th November 2012, 03:48

Maree, I try to be very well organised and start a wish list in August which is sent to the nursery about now. Then order number two is sent about April to May. These cost about $12 each bareroot.

Then there is the budwood order done the same way except sent in around August for delivery in November. These cost about $1 each

Then there is the budwood sent or collected from friends and other rose breeders wishing to exchange some of the rarer breeding roses.

Around November when the show is on at Swanes I have a good look at their new imports and pay particular attention to new Floribunda's that are highly fragrant and healthy. In December to January before Swanes do their summer prune to get rid of the fungus infected growth I have another look for health. Then again in April/May another health check and then place an order with them for bagged roses at around $18.

I never buy on impulse any potted roses costing over $20. My wife is an impulse buyer and just buys whatever is to her liking at anytime.
Swanes have introduced some great roses which I for one am grateful.
I'm pleased for them there are buyers willing to spend over $40 on a rose for this guanantees they will be around to repeat these overseas buys in the future.
When people pay 4 to 6 million for a new home in Sydney $2,000 dollars for roses is nothing.

Regarding wind, our property is on a hill and we can look 360 degrees around seeing nothing but blue sky. Blow offs are a common occurance unless staked.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 28th November 2012, 07:34

Ozboy your property sounds heaven , my first marriage we lived on 25 acres in the country , i loved it , my little suburban block ,now is great for being so close to everything , but just not enough room for garden etc , never mind , there are pros and cons to everything ,i am definately staking my roses now , i was a bit lazy before , just staking here and there , but have lost too many stems ..... Your wife sounds a bit like myself lol ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 28th November 2012, 08:30

Yeah, Ozeboy, crazy price for a rose. Was not an impulse buy so much as a "I wannit, yoo goddit" situation.

FF had been sold out in bareroot by the time I got around to placing my orders., so I rang the local Swane's-stocked nursery, and they had only two left in their potted-up stock. Without further inquiry into indelicate matters of price, I had the pair held for me. At check-out, I was indeed knocked sideways when they were rung up.

As for the cashier's 'trembling hands': ha. This place charges $30 for a punnet of grass, I'm telling you ;-)
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 28th November 2012, 08:34

I paid through a nursery for a Firefighter labeled with a Swanes tag $35 which I thought was expensive being on a tight budget. The second one (younger) bought elsewhere was $19. So I do have to be careful on what I choose. Very easy to buy on impulse and if you can't find out much information first sometimes you just have to try...I liked Red Intuition but suffered much dieback and gave up. Saw another one at Bunnings and decided to try again this time with great success. It is growing very well with lots of flowers. I wouldn't know what stock was used on either.
Happy roses
Happy roses

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 28th November 2012, 08:54

Lol Betsy , what were you in the other life , i know , a rose critic , with a wicked sense of humour lol !!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 28th November 2012, 13:42

I think that Mondo Grass is a big take but there is always one better.

You can go up the Blue Mountains and buy St Johns Wort for a big price.
I used to spray to kill it on a cattle property I had near Mudgee.

Definition of a weed is an unwanted plant so don't think the St. J W would be a fantastic seller.

Maree, I love this property but age catches up with everyone and the time will come when I take my Minis and Mini Flora roses to a smaller property.
Trouble with smaller properties is lack of sun. The blocks are getting smaller and the homes taller

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 28th November 2012, 14:17

Yes, you are right there , i have that problem !!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 28th November 2012, 14:22

Way back in the late '90s, I inherited a garden border of St John's Wort with a new house. Someone had planted it during the SJW craze when naturopaths were extolling its curative powers. The claims for SJW have long since been debunked, but that tedious little border is no doubt still thriving. Probably some idiot is still making tea with it, too.

Ozeboy, when you move off your acreage, take your HTS with you! Breed for shade tolerance!
To all breeders here: if blackspot resistance is the New Black in breeding, then surely shade tolerance is the new New Black. The future lies in roses that can not only accommodate smaller land blocks, but high density living in general. Minis, which may have their charms for some, are not the answer.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 28th November 2012, 15:05

Ozeboy, looked at all the growers , can't find Don Juan anywhere , so before you move off your beautiful property can you please grow me one , please ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 28th November 2012, 17:41

Maree, I did get your message and will check tomorrow.

Don Juan is very hard to beat and would suggest going with it. Will propagate some this summer.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 28th November 2012, 18:17

My FF is HUGE really tall even though it was only planted bare rooted this year. The flowers are a plenty, however do not last longer than a few days. And there's a black rim around the edges. Also the scent is nothing compared to Mr Lincoln etc. This was a highly recommended rose, please tell me it will definitely get better!
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2012-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 28th November 2012, 18:41

Teesh, take it from all of us on this thread - the best is yet to come. You've got a teenager who sleeps 10 hours a day, sulks when you want him to shine, and produces nothing more than a bored sigh when you suggest a wardrobe rethink.

Time passes... now he's a non-stop entrepreneur welded to his iPhone and his work-outs, who lives on two hours of sleep and dresses like George Clooney. I give you - Firefighter grown up.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 28th November 2012, 18:43

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha !!!!!
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2012-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 28th November 2012, 19:02

Beauty Ozeboy , i'll have one thanks !!! Lol Betsy , ha ha , spot on , hope it applies to Blackberry Nip too ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 28th November 2012, 23:23

roflmao
betsy you've given me a good laugh - AGAIN!!
I am definitely getting FF next season and will wait patiently.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next