Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Best perfumed , healthy, mauve / blue roses

+7
dannyboy
RosyTeesh
Happy roses
jordan71
silkyfizz
neptune
maree
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Best perfumed , healthy, mauve / blue roses  - Page 2 Empty Re: Best perfumed , healthy, mauve / blue roses

Post by maree 22nd November 2012, 12:38

Aaaahh Silky , i grew Blue Moon and Charles years and years ago , and what you say is what i found then , i was thinking maybe it was just me , definately cross them of the list , thanks . Rosy i'll look up those roses , thanks
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Best perfumed , healthy, mauve / blue roses  - Page 2 Empty Re: Best perfumed , healthy, mauve / blue roses

Post by silkyfizz 22nd November 2012, 13:10

Maree I also have Dioressence, one of my favourites. Mine has taken 3 years to come good. It was spindly and prone to BS but this year looks great. It has the most glorious scent that wafts within about 2m of the plant. Beautiful buds that open slowly but when fully opened, only last 1-2 days. Usually has clusters. Not hugely productive but enough flowers for me to stay in love with it.[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 22nd November 2012, 13:44

I agree Maree, they are tricky, though the one that is dormant may surprise me, I have had that happen before to the point where I feel like giving up then whoof! Off they go. Vol de Nuit is supposed to be a good grower, but it just does nothing for me
Happy roses
Happy roses

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 22nd November 2012, 14:41

Funny things, these roses. I had two potted Charles De Gaulles back in 2008. Got them from Magic Gardens, so they would have been 2 1/2 years old to start with. In their second year with me they bloomed their fool heads right through late Spring and all the summer months, powpowpowpowpowpow. (They were protected from the strong afternoon sun, btw.) Just never quit filling vases with these grey flowers. Too bad I hated the colour, because the scent was lovely and also wafty.

betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 22nd November 2012, 17:48

Blue Bijou which was planted bare rooted in August this year. Nice scent but like Blue Moon does sometimes burn in the hot sun here, but when it doesn't I adore it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2012-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 22nd November 2012, 19:51

maree wrote:Dioressence , anyone got that one ?

lol maree, i have this one also . i love this rose its an average bloomer with a nice perfum and healthy one at that Smile
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 23rd November 2012, 08:29

Rosyteesh, how long does Blue Bijou last on average would you say?
Happy roses
Happy roses

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 23rd November 2012, 08:34

Hi,
Blue Bijou is not a strong rose here. It's a smaller plant than others beside it planted about the same time. It's a pretty enough flower but Blue Moon and Charles de Gaulle are stronger plants and have larger blooms.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 23rd November 2012, 09:35

This has probably been on par with Firefighter in growth from bare rooted, the others are fairly small. It always has about 10 buds on it at a time. The flowers last a couple of days, But it's not a good cut rose, if you got it early enough it would be ok in a vase. I actually find it better than Blue Moon for growth, but that doesn't mean much. I am beginning to realise that some plants just arrive healthier than others and you get what you get. I just love it when it opens and the middle is purple and the outside is white, very different to the others that I have.
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2012-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 23rd November 2012, 11:56

I think that is true Rosyteesh, My firefighter seems to blow fairly quickly while others say theirs last a week. I have bought a second and will see how this goes. It is frustrating to spend money on something that won't grow while others write how well theirs does. Oh well thats life Smile
Happy roses
Happy roses

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 23rd November 2012, 12:00

Thanks everyone , what about Rhapsody in Blue and Deane Ross and Shocking Blue anyone got any feedback on these ? Thanks
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 23rd November 2012, 12:15

Hi,
Rhapsody In Blue is a lovely rose but I hate the growth habit. It's completely out of place in my garden (but I've got three of them Laughing ) It shoots up long arms with flowers at the top. It is generous with its flowers.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 23rd November 2012, 13:20

Lol, Barbara, three of them , does it have a fragrance ?
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty 23rd November 2012, 14:12

Barb, if it's out of place in your garden, I haven't got one Rhapsody in Blue here. Smile I could spread it sideways and have lots of flowers.
Betty
Betty

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 23rd November 2012, 17:50

Hi Maree,
not particularly smelly at all.
Betty - you're on, next time we come to visit.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 23rd November 2012, 19:27

i have to dissagree , rhapsody in blue does have a nice perfume
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 23rd November 2012, 19:39

Jordan you got Shocking Blue ?
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 30th November 2012, 08:59

Just wondering if anyone tried 'Paradise'?
Happy roses
Happy roses

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 30th November 2012, 09:07

Hi,
I have Paradise but I wouldn't call it a blue rose.
Spectacular, but not really blue.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 30th November 2012, 09:12

Thanks Barbara, does it last and have fragrance?
Happy roses
Happy roses

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 30th November 2012, 14:09

Yes, it lasts, but there aren't any fresh flowers on the bush for me to test the fragrance. It was VERY hot here yesterday.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 30th November 2012, 15:26

I have paradise to lovely rose with beautiful scent and colour and healthy bush.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 1st December 2012, 13:08

Anyone got Blueberry Hill rose ? thanks ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 2nd December 2012, 23:41

Thanks Barbara & Dannyboy, I find Paradise intriguing. My Blue Moon inspite of Dieback & mildew is doing it's best to grow. There may be hope for it yet.
Happy roses
Happy roses

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 3rd December 2012, 07:46

Hi,
I have Blueberry Hill and absolutely love it. I'd call it a semi-single as it doesn't have a lot of petals but I love its form and colour. Nice shaped bush too.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next