Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Best perfumed , healthy, mauve / blue roses

+7
dannyboy
RosyTeesh
Happy roses
jordan71
silkyfizz
neptune
maree
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Best perfumed , healthy, mauve / blue roses  Empty Best perfumed , healthy, mauve / blue roses

Post by maree 21st November 2012, 20:55

Whats your fav , blue / purple rose , a perfumed , healthy , long stemmed rose is a must , does such a rose exist ?
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Best perfumed , healthy, mauve / blue roses  Empty Re: Best perfumed , healthy, mauve / blue roses

Post by neptune 21st November 2012, 21:43

Neptune is an excellent rose, but it has one draw back and that is it is not good for bench shows....it turns brown along the edges quickly.....but a fantastic scent...
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Best perfumed , healthy, mauve / blue roses  Empty Re: Best perfumed , healthy, mauve / blue roses

Post by maree 21st November 2012, 22:22

Okay , thanks Neptune !!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 21st November 2012, 22:48

Maree can't comment yet but I'm hoping Barbra Streisand fills that bill for me, judging by her strong healthy growth. Just waiting to see her buds to open and keeping my fingers crossed.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 21st November 2012, 22:52

I had a Barbra S for about four years, but shovelled it because it wasn't a flower performing rose.....
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 21st November 2012, 23:05

Oh no! Do you mean not good enough for exhibition or just a dud?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 21st November 2012, 23:09

Barbara didn't do anything for us in the subject of throwing up quality blooms, but also it did not bloom a lot.......so when you are chasing blooms, Barbara didn't make the cut....
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 21st November 2012, 23:18

I think purple / blue roses can be tricky , hense this post , hope its a good rose for you Silky , i've never tried it , lets see how it goes in Melb ..
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 21st November 2012, 23:20

I'm hoping BS will do well here. She is up to about a metre, bursting with health, just need beautiful smelly flowers. Maybe she'll like the weather here?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 21st November 2012, 23:49

Keep us posted Silky !!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 21st November 2012, 23:58

Will do maree
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 22nd November 2012, 06:30

NEPTUNE is a great rose , got few buds coming up , the perfume is excellent , its is not a very strong bloomer tho, if i had to pick i would go for EBB TIDE .. it blooms like crazy and the perfume is intoxicating Smile
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 22nd November 2012, 08:28

I have 2 Blue Moons, one is just not doing anything (Is there a way to 'wake' it up) and the other one with powdery mildew and dieback...I like a rose that is lilac, and this is the closest I can find. If Neptune is similer and long lasting then I might try that. I have pink roses and a lot that is classed as lilac just looks plain pink to me...
Happy roses
Happy roses

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 22nd November 2012, 08:30

happy roses try ebb tide , it is a nice bloomer and the colour is dark mauve ageing to purple , beautifull spicy scent
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 22nd November 2012, 08:33

Anyone got Charles de Gaulle ?
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 22nd November 2012, 08:34

yes maree, i do lol
charles de gaule . is not a superb bloomer but it does throw out few Smile
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 22nd November 2012, 08:50

I did have Charles D G a long time ago, lovely scent but the blooms tended to ball in the heat. Ebb Tide does look nice too, I have been thinking about it.
Happy roses
Happy roses

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 22nd November 2012, 09:17

Thanks Jordan , Happy Roses , mauve roses do seem to be tricky , don't they , i remember when i started growing roses many years ago i tried a few , but didn't have much luck growing them , they are very enticing though ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 22nd November 2012, 09:29

Dioressence , anyone got that one ?
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 22nd November 2012, 10:59

I have Beyond Blue and it is a very good grower Maree Smile It isn't in the best soil and grows quite well.
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2012-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 22nd November 2012, 11:03

I also have Blue Bijou. It has grown vigorously since planting it as a bare rooted plant this year Smile It's huge! Not a great cut rose but a nice gentle perfume.
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2012-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 22nd November 2012, 11:04

I find Fragant Plum to be great.Alot of blooms and really nice sweet perfume and a lovely flower.I got Charles this year and just have 1 bloom now nice colour and perfume.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 22nd November 2012, 11:29

Does anybody have neptune rose and how do they find it

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 22nd November 2012, 12:06

Danny I think you will find that Neptune grows 'Neptune'.

As for perfume/blue, an old one that was used for the florist trade and is good outside is 'Jacaranda', as the colour is soft outside I think placing it towards shade would be an advantage.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 22nd November 2012, 12:31

My Blue Moon is a trouble-free rose, wonderful rich fragrance and frequent clusters of blooms. I find the colour a bit washed out, the flowers are very soft and burn in the sun.
My Charles de Gaulle has barely moved since planting last winter, despite others around him showing excellent growth. I'm quickly losing patience with him.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next