Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

David... question for you on Rose greenhouses

3 posters

Go down

David... question for you on Rose greenhouses Empty David... question for you on Rose greenhouses

Post by Admin 17th January 2009, 17:46

David, I was hoping to pick your brains a bit. On RE I remember you saying you once worked in a facility where you grew 'Black Jade' in greenhouses commercially. I'm interested in building a greenhouse for growing/propagating/hybridising/germinating my minis and was wondering how/if greenhouses for roses differ from greenhouses for other plants?

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

David... question for you on Rose greenhouses Empty Re: David... question for you on Rose greenhouses

Post by rosemeadow 18th January 2009, 00:48

Hi TasV, I have been working down through all the forums tonight.
David is the one to ask. He came to look at my fairly big hot house.
I moved my cut roses out into the garden because of Mildrew and a black stuff that use to get all over the leave. What a shame as the roses grew so well in there, also beautiful blooms except for the mess over them. I did have them crowed. I was determined not to spray anything towic, only used a enviromental spray that didn't seem to work.
Recently I have decieded to try growing some rootstocks canes for budding growing in there so I can get it growing vigourously, which it doesn't seem to be doing outside. The vegetables grow real well in there too.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

David... question for you on Rose greenhouses Empty Re: David... question for you on Rose greenhouses

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 18th January 2009, 17:57

Tasv, part reply will be on here later tonight after dark, she who must be obeyed asked that I do some work outside till then
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 18th January 2009, 22:31

Simon, I am unsure of your needs. The basic answer is that propagation tunnels (poly) have sides that do not open. The plants (roses) get a start and then move on. The difference in a tunnel for growing is that the plants in question, lets look at roses, stay in the house for life. The sides roll up, vents, heating fans in winter to prolong the growing season. This is a basic model. If money is no problem a ball park figure is up to conservatively 500K for a good one. I have looked at all the manufactures and if you only need cloche the frame is reusable, the film is only for one season. Dearer film would last longer, duratough is what most tunnels use. If you want a frame you could easily make one and then purchase the film. One thing I would look at is a propagation bench, heated and misted. I have one ( not used at present) but is to go into use within the next month or so. It is commercial bed and I got it from the rose farm that I worked for. Will try to add pictures tomorrow of it and all other items. It appears that you are good with your hands. A bench, some styro, low voltage cable,thermo, misters and you have one. I will also add the places that I know and you might get some ideas from them to build your own, regards roseman.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 18th January 2009, 22:45

Thanks Dave,

My needs are to have a place to grow and pollinate parent plants (miniatures) and somewhere to start seedlings and grow them on till they can be hardened off to plant in trial beds outside. Ideally, over time as money becomes available, I'd like to have four greenhouses going; 1 for growing the parents, pollinating, and letting the hips develop, 1 for germinating seedlings and growing them on, 1 shade cloth shelter for hardening off, and another for propagating mini. rose cuttings. I have built greenhouses before but as far as doing it specifically for roses I have no knowledge about their specific needs in a greenhouse at all and whether smart, approproate design can help to minimise the pitfalls, like disease, of growing them under cover.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down