Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Making a success of an on-going forum

+7
AutumnDamask
OzRose
Ozeboy
The Lazy Rosarian
tambralyngar
Carole
Meryl
11 posters

Go down

Making a success of an on-going forum Empty Making a success of an on-going forum

Post by Meryl 26th February 2012, 13:27

Hello everyone - I've only a minute because I'm off to the mountain garden to do some weeding. But I think this is too important to defer.

Most of us were devastated at the notion of losing this forum altogether. It's not just about a passion for roses, central though that is. The forum is an on-going source of comfort to those of us in trouble, of whatever kind; it's a place to forget those troubles in talking to like-minded people about the shared passion. A rose forum has been a sanity-saver for me when I've been battling cancer and I know people in lots of different situations have found it a marvelous escape.

So we have to make a go of it, now that Simon has so generously bequeathed us his baby. David can't do everything on his own. We, the members, need to be consciously aware that every time the forum went quiet, Simon stepped in with new and interesting topics that galvanised responses from us and got the conversation lively again. Without him, WE have to be the people consciously keeping things interesting and active...no more waiting till someone else posts something that interests us.

The forum will be what we make it...or die if we don't.

Meryl

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2009-07-23

Back to top Go down

Making a success of an on-going forum Empty Re: Making a success of an on-going forum

Post by Carole 26th February 2012, 14:10

Meryl that is a fantastic post love
Now it up to the members to support the forum.
I feel the success of the forum depends on the members. It is up to us all to post, not just reply if something that interests us but put our own threads on. Only by doing this will we have a broad range of posts and be of more interest to the membership.
As I said these are my feelings.
Now lets pull together and make this a great forum where we can share knowledge, interests and hopfully form friendships.
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Making a success of an on-going forum Empty Re: Making a success of an on-going forum

Post by tambralyngar 26th February 2012, 19:25

It great to hear that people are still interested in keeping this forum running. I agree with both of you we all need to keep posting new discussions. I have enjoyed more than just the rose talk and yes I hope that friendships can be made.
tambralyngar
tambralyngar

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 27th February 2012, 06:40

Meryl, thanks for the thread. With help from the membership I reckon the forum can run and let people post as in the past, we wqill see.
Regards David.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 27th February 2012, 10:04

Would be a shame to lose this Forum being a great source of information to new and old alike. Let's analyse what has to be done to keep it going.
Good administration like we have seen with Simon at the helm.
How can we help him?
Money? Does every member need to contribute $20 or $25 for membership similar to HMF? Simon is no doubt greatly out of pocket so what do we have to do to help out.

I could list other items but this is a start.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 27th February 2012, 13:24

Bruce,
I read your post twice and each time I read it differently.
First I thought your post was directed to David but when I read it again it seemed to be directed to Simon.
So do you mean how can you help Simon or do you mean how can you help David ?
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by tambralyngar 27th February 2012, 15:59

I was wondering the same thing would it help if we "subscribed" to the forum for a small amount each year? I would be happy to contribute $20 a year to keep this forum going it is such a great asset for all members.
tambralyngar
tambralyngar

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose 27th February 2012, 17:33

Well I happily pay my $25 to HMF without a second thought and I don't login there as often as I do here.
People can't really think that sites like these run on thin air sureley ?
OzRose
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 28th February 2012, 07:21

Sorry Carole, I have been away from Rosetalk and have just caught up with the happenings. I will help anyone who wishes to carry on with Rosetalk, be it David or Simon. Simon has the rose knowledge, computer skills and thought if the site was less expensive for him then he may reconsider. This site has to be run as a business and shouldn't cost Simon anything if he was to reconsider. If it's financial, then within reason we should be able to fix that, but if it's his work load then an extended holiday could be attractive to him.
Remember he is a young family man with a career and just about every living thing housed at his address. Makeing choices, what has to go etc is always difficult, lets hope he will reconsider.

Should David wish to run the site then he has my support.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 28th February 2012, 09:25

A lot of forums have a "premium" section like HMF - am quite happy to pay for here like I do there. Smile

AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 28th February 2012, 10:06

The forum is a free hosting forum, so the cost comes with the address which you can get between $20 -$50 per year
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 28th February 2012, 10:27

Thanks John,
I had no idea re the cost.
What good value Cheers
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 1st March 2012, 22:13

Your right Meryl, it is very important.
Is there a list of things that need doing with the forum to keep it running smoothly, David ? Did it cost more money for extra photo space ? Can we send Simon some money to make up for the cost of developing the site ?
As well as puting in for future costs.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by lildeb 1st March 2012, 23:23

I haven't been a member very long but I can say that as a person who struggles with anxiety and post-traumatic Stress disorders, it can be very difficult to meet people, make friends, or just chat comfortably. Simon invited me to join Rose Talk after I bought some roses from him last year, and after I got enough courage together to get started, I have loved popping in for a chat, or just browsing and learning about roses. Simon also sent me some little rose plants after my ewe was stolen, and many of you offered encouragement and a shoulder Cheers
I am happy to work in with everybody, it would be a shame to see the forum lost after all that has been done to build it, and all it offers to each of us.
lildeb
lildeb

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2011-06-07

http://tylersgarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 2nd March 2012, 06:47

Deb, it ain't going anywhere if I can help it.
As I said in the general email to all, it just does not have to be roses, a shoulder for support.

Last edited by roseman on 2nd March 2012, 06:48; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additions)
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191

Back to top Go down

Post by wphvet 2nd March 2012, 17:01

Am more than happy to support the forum in any fashion including an increased effort to post and reply, as well as financially.Best wishes,
Stephen

wphvet

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by lildeb 2nd March 2012, 23:46

OH YEAH, does this mean we all just agreed????
BTW, with all the extra driving today, we had a chance to see LOTS of lovely roses in folks' gardens- Queensland Roses Rock!

It seems to me that we all want to see our lovely forum stay and thrive, we just have to keep up the right amount of fertiliser and pruning.. Laughing
lildeb
lildeb

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2011-06-07

http://tylersgarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 3rd March 2012, 01:21

Yes we will stay and thrive Deb and Stephen.
We are off to a great start.
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down