Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

All good things come to an end

+13
Meryl
Barbara B
Dave
rosemeadow
RitaG
tambralyngar
Balinbear
The Lazy Rosarian
neptune
Carole
Bonita18
AutumnDamask
Admin
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

All good things come to an end Empty All good things come to an end

Post by Admin 23rd February 2012, 20:44

It's a sad but necessary task to inform everyone that Rosetalk will be closing down permanently over the weekend. There are many reasons.

I'd like to thank everyone for helping to make it the place it was. I'm in the process of trying to save a copy of all the data to make it available to anyone who wold like a copy. Don't reply to this to request, however, as I'm not sure I can make it happen yet.

For those who would like to stay in contact my email address is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Kind regards to all,

Simon

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

All good things come to an end Empty Re: All good things come to an end

Post by AutumnDamask 23rd February 2012, 20:51

Very Sad
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonita18 23rd February 2012, 21:40

Thank you so much Simon. I was only saying the other day to a friend how much I have learnt from Rosetalk. Also it has been a great stress reliever for me as one of our grandchildren has been extremely ill since last July with encephalitis causing life threatening seizures and still there is no end to it all. The constant hospitalisations and all the side effects have dominated our family life and Rosetalk has been a real outlet. Thank you once again. Simon, I wish you well in whatever else your generous spirit finds to do to enrich the lives of others. Bonita

Bonita18

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 23rd February 2012, 23:35

It is sad that it is to finish Bonita.

I am so sorry to hear about you grandchild, you must feel so helpless.
My heart goes out to you and I know David (Roseman)will feel the same when he reads your post.
WE have 6 Grandchildren and one Great.
You have friends here and can contact us anytime for any reason.

Apart for the love of roses this forum has been very important to many people for many reasons.
Please feel free to contact us for any reason, be it Roses or just a chat.
My thoughts are with you
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 24th February 2012, 00:47

Anyway that roseman can hold the fort till the time comes again that the Captain can take the helm again?
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 24th February 2012, 05:35

I'm really sad about this. Because of Rosetalk I've learnt heaps.
Hopefully some form of the forum/archive can be accessible in the future as the info contained therein - esp. the propagating/hybridising sections - is something I would love to delve into more/again as I take baby steps at that myself. (Thanks everyone for the inspiration!)

Thanks for all your hard work, Simon & David, on this forum. I'll be really sorry to see it (and the lovely people!) go.

Very Sad
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 24th February 2012, 05:58

Morning Wendy
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 24th February 2012, 14:41

Hi and bye folks.

Simon you could have hung on a couple of more weeks. One of the two OP Teas seedlings that I managed to keep alive is about to flower.

Who can I brag to now when I get a world beating plant out of it!! lol!

Goodbye all and it has been nice talking to you all. Hope your gardens all prosper. Roses

Gary
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 24th February 2012, 16:05

Posdt the flower while you can Gary lol! Thumbsup

Lets start again, Post the photo while you can Gary, THE END IS NIGH
lol!
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 24th February 2012, 16:09

That wasn't Carole Gary that was I, sorry Carole and Gary, Mushroom roflmao
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 24th February 2012, 16:36

Unfortunately it is just starting to bud and will be a few days at least before we see what beauty it holds.

It is an OP from Comtesse de Larbarthe and of course I am expecting it to be a magnificent flower (like its mum) that will instantly convert the masses and force palm growers and Bali hut manufacturers and installers to go broke.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 24th February 2012, 19:29

Balinbear wrote:It is an OP from Comtesse de Larbarthe and of course I am expecting it to be a magnificent flower (like its mum) that will instantly convert the masses and force palm growers and Bali hut manufacturers and installers to go broke.
I like your thinking!!
I'll volunteer to roadtest it.... Wink
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 24th February 2012, 20:47

Me to.
I am sure they would LOVE our Mudgee conditions.
I will even talk to them ----or not.
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by tambralyngar 25th February 2012, 08:38

Sad to see it end I have learnt so much and am still learning! Been nice talking to you all not sure who I will share my rose addiction with now? Sad
tambralyngar
tambralyngar

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by tambralyngar 25th February 2012, 08:39

Balinbear wrote:
It is an OP from Comtesse de Larbarthe and of course I am expecting it to be a magnificent flower (like its mum) that will instantly convert the masses and force palm growers and Bali hut manufacturers and installers to go broke.

Gary we can only hope
tambralyngar
tambralyngar

Back to top Go down

Post by tambralyngar 25th February 2012, 08:58

Couple of qustions...
does anyone know another forum out there for roses?
What will happen with the calendar?

I know that all this is trivial but just me thinking

Hope everyone has a great year and goodluck with all your roses and other projects

Tamara
tambralyngar
tambralyngar

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG 25th February 2012, 09:15

It's taken a few days for this message to sink in for me and I can only say that I'm very saddened by this news but totally understand and support the decision you have taken Simon!

I guess that for some others it appears that they may still be dealing with this news, or have not grasped the significance of what is happening or simply haven't read this post yet. I say this because I'm amazed that there have not been many more messages expressing their sadness at the demise of such a unique and fabulous forum.

Simon, I know this was a really tough decision for you after sacrificing so much of your time/life and emotions into this excellent forum. The incredible hours throughout the years that you have put into this forum, the technical know-how you have invested in just to make sure that we always had access and that we were protected from spam & trolls and also to ensure that all were able to use the features without too much hassle. You have also invested a lot of patience with us all, I am sure you have put up with your share of frustrating behaviour from us from time to time - so this cannot just fade away without a formal acknowledgment of appreciation from all the members - & of course a big Hug .

I know that I am not being adequate in my expression of sadness, but just know that you have provided me with a vehicle of hope and light at a time when both were much needed in my life. I for one, will certainly stay in touch with you through other means.

Thank you again & best of wishes - I'm sure that your family will enjoy having the extra hours with you, not to mention the roses & furry creatures that you nurture Coming up Roses

I guess this is also good bye to all the regular forumers on here - its been a pleasure 'meeting' you and sharing our passion of roses and of late furry friends with you - adieu and all the best, Rita. Very Sad
RitaG
RitaG

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 25th February 2012, 09:49

What a shock to hear Rose Talk is ending.
Yestyerday I got motivated into working my in garden which I have neglected mostly over Summer because the ride on blew up totally and it was depressing trying to keep up with mowing the paspalumn. But the first day of Autumn and the rich colour of roses that are starting to appear has motivated me. When I start looking after my roses thats when I seem to want to talk roses with over roserians.
I realise this is selfish, just poping in here when you get around to it. The future mine comming here has interfered with my rose hobby, as well as computers and cameras breaking, and the computer being used by other family members. Also cars breaking down so I can't visit rose friends and other rose gardens or travel to heritage rose meetings.
And now I am too late to enjoy more of Rose Talk.
Simon, thankyou for giving us a great place to make Roserian friends and talk and learn about roses. Thankyou for all your work, time and advice you have given us. You are a very special roserian. I look forward to meeting you when I come to Tasmania.
I plan to private email every one here tonight to get your contact details, if you wish, so I can visit you if I am ever in your home area. And ofcourse you are all welcome to visit me. For some years I might not have much of a rose garden where I am living, the near future is a very up in the air.
Maybe we could have a reuion somewhere. I should have one more Spring here if anyone would like to visit. I get it cleaned up over Winter.
I always meant to make a new topic about Village Maid. Last Spring I decieded that I really like this rose. It has a longish Spring blooming and I love its decorective striped blooms.
Well now I have no excuse not to go Garden Web rose forums, the Heritage Rose Society forum or any of the other international rose forums. I haven't been to the Antique rose Garden Web for so long. Also Simon, I would like to go to the Rose breeders forum you introduced us to. Also there is Helpmefindroses too. So its sad that Rose Talk is shuting down and it was a really great rose forum but it leaves more time to go to the others now, forums that would have more people sharing the work load.
I wish all the best to Simon and all of you and here it is a big Hug for all of you, or a handshake.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 25th February 2012, 10:05

I just dropped in to post and was shocked to read of your decision, Simon. You have given so much of your time and expertise in so many ways, I can't thank you enough. We've been in touch right from the start and I will miss the forum terribly, but I'll still keep in touch with you - as I'm sure many others will too.
As you know, my professional life has taken some amazing new directions which have kept me busy teaching and travelling (Europe in September). My rose garden is full of weeds and cherry tomatoes (the only ones to thrive in our crazy big wet this summer).
Hugs from me too!
Dave

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 25th February 2012, 11:36

Thanks for all the well wishes. At this point I have tried everything I know to try and salvage the content of the forum so that it may be compiled onto a CD and distributed among those who would like it. Unfirtunately everything I have tried has failed.

At this stage the forum will be turned off on Sunday evening.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Simon

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 25th February 2012, 23:08

David has spoken with me and has taken over the place. Thankyou for the past 3 and a bit years. I hope the future is rosey for you all.

Simon (Admin will be David now... he might change this name in the future).

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 26th February 2012, 01:45

Thats very good Simon, this site is too good to close down.
I wish you a very great future for you and your family too !
I was never able to get back to Lynette's place to open the the email you sent her, my van totally blew up. I have a good station wagon lined up but am car less at the moment and go to town on the school bus. I do have a casual job now as a washer upper for a local wedding caterer, so that is helping me.
Tamara, the Heritage rose forum I was talking about is the World Heritage rose forum. Garden Web ( the American one, not the Australian one as it is now too slow, unless it has livened up again ) has lots and lots of forums on all different plants and quite a few on a range of topics about roses.
David, please let me know if I can help in anyway.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 26th February 2012, 07:53

Hi,
I agree that the site is now too good to close down. There's just too much information stored here now. I'm happy that it will continue.
Good luck Simon and I hope you'll still be a presence on the forum.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Meryl 26th February 2012, 09:16

That's wonderful, David. Too sad altogether to see the place shut down.
Drop in if ever you can Simon... all your work creating and sustaining this site is understood and appreciated by all of us.

Meryl

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2009-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Alee 26th February 2012, 20:33

Simon, I ditto what RitaG and Rosemeadow and what other members have said. Thank you very much for all the time and information you have put on this forum. WE WILL MISS YOU...

David, you have put back the smile on our faces once again. Thank you and best wishes.

Alee

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next