Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Repeat-flowering bearded iris

5 posters

Go down

Repeat-flowering bearded iris Empty Repeat-flowering bearded iris

Post by Meryl 6th January 2012, 11:24

Two of the main suppliers of mail-order iris imply in their literature that Sydney is marginal at best when it comes to bearded iris. Since this is against their financial interest, I took it for gospel and regretfully put the catalogues aside.
However at an open-garden sale a couple of years ago, I picked up an unprepossessing pot labelled just "yellow iris - repeat". Ever hopeful, I planted it under Teasing Georgia and forgot about it.

Lo, it grew, it bloomed, it repeated!! I think it is quite beautiful, it is heavily perfumed, and it is blooming right now, in mid-summer in super-humid Sydney. Here's a picture from 10 minutes ago:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My question is: Are there any more like this out there? Tough iris which can take this climate and which can actually flower more than once a year? Anyone know names I can order?

Meryl

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2009-07-23

Back to top Go down

Repeat-flowering bearded iris Empty Re: Repeat-flowering bearded iris

Post by RitaG 6th January 2012, 12:38

Hi Meryl, there must be more, I'm sure. I don't know the name of mine, but am happy to share this repeat, mauve coloured iris with you. In three years it has flourished in this garden so can well afford to dig some of the clump up for you. Just PM me exchange details.

Here it is this morning, in the front garden growing with the DAR, Lady of Megginch.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
RitaG
RitaG

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by newforold 6th January 2012, 14:32

I love iris. They adore the climate here so they number in their hundreds. I use them to edge all my borders. I have one little dark purple variety which flowers repeatedly. I keep a garden diary and it would be interesting to count how many times I wrote 'The little purple iris is in flower' throughout the course of last year. Of course, I have no idea what it is called! I think it came from my grandmother's garden via my mother's garden.
Maree

newforold

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 6th January 2012, 15:14

We have lots of Iris's no no repeat flowering Very Sad Very Sad Very Sad
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Meryl 6th January 2012, 19:51

Thanks Rita. Will message you when I've checked my clump for swapability.

I have another question for all you iris experts. That yellow repeater has set some huge seeds from an earlier flowering in spring. Would it be worth while to try growing them? And if so, when do I harvest, how deep do I plant and in what?....You know, all that stuff. I'm a total novice.

Meryl

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2009-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 6th January 2012, 21:49

I've only grown iris seeds once but it was pretty much just like growing rose seeds. You wait until the pod goes brown and begins to split. You collect the seed and over winter you put them in moist paper towel and a zip-lock bag and put it in the fruit crisper for 6-10 weeks. Sow them so they are about 2 seeds deep and leave them outside to warm up for spring. I have about 9 iris seedlings that came up this year from a cross I did (though didn't recordthe cross Rolling Eyes). Whether it is worth trying bee-pods or not, I don't know Dunno I've done about two or three crosses and I've never seen a bee pod before this year. I have one now and I intend to try to germinate these too... a bit of fun Smile What harm can it do. Was pretty interesting to see the first little iris seedling pop up.

Just don't grow them and pass them around to people because they will pass them around and it will keep getting passed around and then some heritage iris person in years to come will spend years trying to ID it lol!

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 6th January 2012, 22:11

I have yet to find a seed pod on any of ours.
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down