Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Some Austins, an Aussie and one tough old bugger

+4
Carole
Balinbear
The Lazy Rosarian
larryp
8 posters

Go down

Some Austins, an Aussie and one tough old bugger Empty Some Austins, an Aussie and one tough old bugger

Post by larryp 16th May 2011, 02:18

Love Austins almost as much as the Teas here's a few of the last bloooms of autumn

Pat Austin

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ambridge Rose - lovely rose lovely scent

Charles Darwin Mustardy colour not to everybody'd taste but it grows on you

Summer Song - Gaudy but I like it

Restless - an Alister Clark - a lovely red, nice perfume and almost thornless,climbing a pillar

Finally - Fellemberg - found this growing between a gum and a Michelia Alba. Thought it had died before I became ill but it seems to have resurrected itself without human intervention - hundreds of buds waiting to pop

larryp
larryp

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2011-05-08

Back to top Go down

Some Austins, an Aussie and one tough old bugger Empty Re: Some Austins, an Aussie and one tough old bugger

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 16th May 2011, 06:02

Restless is a nice looking rose Larry, does it flower well ?
If you post Uncle Dave's roses here, you might entice Rita to post if she has time.
There is a lot of roses that I have never heard of, this being one, Fellemberg, got some history on it ?
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Some Austins, an Aussie and one tough old bugger Empty Re: Some Austins, an Aussie and one tough old bugger

Post by larryp 16th May 2011, 07:55

Hi Dave Fellemberg - an oldie. Some say it's a china, some say a noisette, some say a hybrid between chinensis and mutflora - usual experts arguing obscure botalical points before disappearing up thir own clackers.

To me it's a rather open shrub/semi climber.Big clusters of flowers which smell quite nice if you can get close enough to bury your schnoz in one.

Restless flowers well, nice perfume. Very pliable stems. One of A. Clark's best.
larryp
larryp

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 16th May 2011, 13:27

Larry

Good idea using Restless as as pillar rose. We have left our couple as schrubs but have often thought about trying it on a pillar.

I have a Fellumberg on order for this year. I had intended for it to grow on a trellis so it should be intersting to see how it goes up here.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 16th May 2011, 15:58

Larry, your Charles Darwin is amazing followed closely by Summer Song but I love the rest as well Willy
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG 16th May 2011, 18:56

Welcome Larry, good to see you posting on here. Have to agree re Charles Darwin, he certainly grows on you. I have him in my new garden.

Alas, these days I don't have the amount of roses that I used to have, but the 60 odd still keep me more than busy. Hedgerow are sending me up four more in June (replacements for ones that didn't make it) and Bruce was kind enough to dig out his Gertrude Jekyll for me the other day, so that will take me into the 70s. I couldn't resist buying a seedling rose from bunnings yesterday, it says it an antique so will have to wait to see what it really is.

Anyway, welcome again, I'm sure that you'll provide lots of rose insight, not to mention entertainment to the members here.
RitaG
RitaG

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 16th May 2011, 22:04

Larry I am in the "doghouse", why you might ask. I forgot to mention how wonderful the 'Charles Darwin' was, anything yellow or shades of this colour, for me at present and will be for a long time I think be the colour of roses.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by larryp 17th May 2011, 11:46

Ah Rita - thank you for the warm welcome. Haven't quite got to 70 roses this time but rapidly catching up. Most of my old roses were pulled out by well meaning rellos when I was in hosp. with peritonitis but am using visions of the Giardino del Rosa to guide my path to garden heaven. Still haven't seen a rose garden to match it. Most of the stuff I have are still babies - except for tough old buggers who were too big to pull out- so difficult to assess their true garden worth but Uncle Dave Austin promises me his newies are healthy, vigorous, bloom machines with glorious fragrances - do ya think I should believe him?

Dave old mate - if the lady of the house loves yellow roses you best be on the lookout for the golden ones to avoid too many trips to the doghouse. Though from my experience dogs make warm and loving companions and are especially welcoming on frigid nights - so all is not lost
larryp
larryp

Back to top Go down

Post by larryp 21st May 2011, 09:36

Another Austin, an honorary Aussie and a really tough old bugger

The Dark Lady - one of Uncle Dave's best

Blushing Pink Iceberg. We'll call her an Aussie 'cos she sported in Tassie. She'a a freebie from Treloars - I wouldn't have prdered her but she's turned into a lovely rose.

Can't get much tougher than this one- Crepuscule - haven't fed or watered him in at least two years - and I kid you not. Balzes away regularly with a cascade of blooms. He shares a spot with a frangipanii and a bambino Iceberg which decided to go feral A long shot and a close up

larryp
larryp

Back to top Go down

Post by larryp 21st May 2011, 10:32

Pardon my typos and omissions. Was in a bit of a hurry. Meant to say that Crep shared his possie with a feral Bambino Bougainvillea - supposed to only get a metre high but I think it's on steroids
larryp
larryp

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 21st May 2011, 12:12

Will they pruduce new roses roflmao
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty 21st May 2011, 15:06

Larry, I just adore The Dark Lady. Last year I bought The Pilgrim, New William Shakespeare, The Herbalist, William Morris, Lady of Megginch, Lichfield Angel and The Dark Lady. The last 3 have never stopped flowering and the best is definitely The Dark Lady. Such a photogenic rose, beautiful blooms and that wonderful fragrance. love I have a good number of other David Austins and only recently discovered that Fisherman's Friend also has a beautiful perfume.
Betty
Betty

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by roselady 23rd June 2011, 14:10

oh dear have the biggest smile, thought you had left me, dear friend.
see you have stolen all my roses and have taken the best photos of them so I dont have too any more!

Well, I may be of some help as have all the roses on site mentioned so far.

Larry after my illness it has taken us this long to get the garden to standard! This year the fountain pond is on order, new arbour on the way, bought two new iron arbours/gazebas.

All the standards are again looking good and all the Alister Clarkes are small again, you know how they sulk when pruned!

David Austins are fantastic here, we have most still, may have missed out on the new one this year. They all survived the bush fires too,
Conifers didnt do so well. Laburnum walk, the stems were all burnt on one side, water got in and lost most, the ones left we have allowed lower linmbs to become small trees now.
I havent been able to cut back your favourite tea, I call it Larry!
Enough of me, so good to hear you all.

roselady

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by larryp 2nd September 2011, 16:06

Ah Lynn can't apologise enough for missing this post.
Like you my health is up and down and I haven't been around here very often so didn't catch your lovely hullo.
Still remember your pics of your gorgeous garden and marvel at how you kept it so lovely with all your problems.
The warmest possible gidday from me.

Larry
larryp
larryp

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 3rd September 2011, 04:52

Lynn nice to know all is well with you and the garden is taking shape.
Don't know what I would do without my garden (Roses and weeds) to keep me going. As we get older it is necessary to have good exercise and mental stimulation to stay young.
How are all those beautiful birds that frequented your property? I won't mention the snakes.

Stay healthy and keep out of those bush fires.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down