Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Two Old Favourites

+3
Dave
Ripley
Ozeboy
7 posters

Go down

Two Old Favourites Empty Two Old Favourites

Post by Guest 31st March 2011, 13:44

These are two oldies I bred back in 2006, they bring me great enjoyment to me when they flower. Mother Freedom has damask perfume.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Two Old Favourites Empty Re: Two Old Favourites

Post by Ozeboy 31st March 2011, 19:19

Warren, both are exceptional, is there any end to the outstanding roses you have bred.

How's their health which is very important here on the coast?

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 31st March 2011, 20:09

Thanks Ozeboy;

The health of these two are very good, Solance is exceptional in the health department and for a HT never is without blooms, I dont know how it does'nt burn out with all the energy it puts into flowering.

I have 2 Solance plants, one is grafted on Indica Major, the other is on its own roots. There is no difference in size and health between the two, it grows extremely well on its own roots ( which is good for cuttings).

With Mother Freedom, it is the same as Solance, one on own roots the other grafted, it grows well on its own roots but is enormous on rootstock.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ripley 4th April 2011, 07:39

Wow Mother Freedom is gorgeous
Ripley
Ripley

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 6th April 2011, 07:21

I love (want) them both Warren. But I'm not extending the rose garden (not today, anyway:)

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6th April 2011, 18:25

This is a rose I name after my German Grandmother, hope you all like it

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 6th April 2011, 20:15

Looks like another nice 'Graham Thomas' (or something similar) cross, Warren, in my favourite shade for a rose Thumbsup Looks like an orangey version of 'Nahema'... does it have the same great perfume?

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6th April 2011, 20:20

Hi Simon , this is a ( Charles Austin X Mme Caroline Testou), looking at it you would think it had Thomas Graham in it. The perfume is quite strong and fruity.

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose 6th April 2011, 23:03

All lovely Woz .
Granny's rose reminds me a lot of Jude the Obscure , but I like the name of your rose better Smile
Solance touches a chord deep inside me , I think it has something to do with the soft pink colour.
Perfume is an added bonus.

cheers. Rosalie.
OzRose
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo 7th April 2011, 01:13

Warren,
I was still suprised what you bred with wendy + AD. This 'wendy' seems to work with nearly every rose Thumbsup
Hilda....(Hilde, die Wilde) reminds me on Jude.. too. This Lady is also great.

'm waiting for the 1st seedling flowers
cheers
Bernhard

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7th April 2011, 06:48

Howdy Bemo

Wendy is a very interesting rose to use, it was given to me way before I started breeding roses. When I started breeding , I researched all roses in my garden here in Deniliquin and Wendy stood out for great things. Its parent White Dream (Lens) had a habit of sporting, which made me think that this genetic instability might be present in Wendy and what happened was really good.

Wendy does not produce OP hips, there is a knack to pollinating this little whiz, most blooms pollinated will form hips and seed germination is around 90%. Also seedlings appear weeks before anything else.

Some crosses you can get up to 13 variations,be that colour or structures, but from what I have learnt was never cross (Wendy X ?) X Wendy X ?), it is disasterous. When you use Mimas (a f1 cross of wendy) and cross it with large flowering rose a hybrid vigour effect is present.

Bemo I will be sowing my first batch of seed this week and then I start wondering if the crosses will work.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 7th April 2011, 07:26

Warren, has your first batch of seeds been stratified already or are you sowing straight from the hip, so to speak?

Is germination any different with autumn sown seeds?

Sorry for the questions here. I should have started a new thread:)

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7th April 2011, 07:39

Hi Dave, seeds have been in stratification for a while I never sow from the hip. I find Autumn germination the best, it is still warm during the day here in Deni and they kick on real fast, plus they grow out during the winter and come spring there is no stopping them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 8th April 2011, 06:02

What a great idea, Warren. I've still got time to try it here. I can put them in the greenhouse over winter and they will go flat out when spring comes.

I have noticed that some Tea roses in particular take a long time to mature on the bush. I always pollinate them first, in Sept/Oct - but the hips on Anna Olivier, for example, are still greenish, while most others have matured, coloured and been picked.

Good luck with Treloars. I bought my first roses from them. Good value still.

Bruce, I often wondered if you were related. Roses must be in the genes Very Happy

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8th April 2011, 16:00

Dave when the seeds germinate they stay outside in the autumn /winter sun, the only time I bring them under cover if there is a frost overnight and they are then put out on the frosty bench. You will supprised how they grow in the winter compared with spring germination.

Yeah those Tea seeds are like pieces of blue metal off the road, big and hard, Safrano seeds do take a while to germinate though.

Everything went OK at Treloars, they got real excited when I told them of a David Austin type ground cover I have.

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG 8th April 2011, 19:35

I have to say, I would love all your roses growing in my patch too Warren. They seem to have the same appeal for me as DAs do. Agree that Hilda Sophia is so reminescent of Jude the Obscure.

I we are not flyinng, I may be driving through Deni during the Easter Break on a short visit with my sis in Swan Hill. I'll be sure to sound my horn on the way through.
RitaG
RitaG

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down