Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Wonderful Old Rose

2 posters

Go down

Wonderful Old Rose Empty Wonderful Old Rose

Post by Admin 11th December 2010, 15:41

'Pink Grootendorst'

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Wonderful Old Rose Empty Re: Wonderful Old Rose

Post by OzRose 11th December 2010, 18:03

That's adorable . Is it growing in your garden Simon ?
It's like a baby carnation . Where does it get it's frilled edges from ?

cheers. Rosalie
OzRose
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 11th December 2010, 20:13

Yes, it's one of mine Smile The original plant is called 'F.J. Grootendorst' and it has sported a few times into 'Pink Grootendorst', 'Grootendorst Supreme', and 'Pink Grootendorst' sported into 'White Grootendorst' which is, IMO, the most beautiful of the lot. I don't much like the original 'F.J. Grootendorst' or 'Grootendorst Supreme' as their colours are too harsh for my taste that don't show off the frilled petals very well. The original 'F.J. Grootendorst' is thought to be from a cross between a rugosa ('rubra' I think) and a polyantha called 'Madame Norbert Levavasseur'. It's almost completely sterile, however, it does make small amounts of fertile pollen. It does not work as a seed parent. I have heard on one clain where it was used as a seed parent, however, it is thought to a dubious claim. I know of one person who has tried to recreate the Grootendorst roses to try for roses with more fertility and the frilled petals, but they were not successful. These roses are often called the carnastion roses because of their resemblance to them and dianthus. They don't, unfortunately, have any scent that I can detect and they are typically rugosa thorny. Lots of people describe the leaves as being dull and boring. I think they are wonderful. The bush is also criticised for being gaunt, however, there is a photo of 'Pink Grootendorst' on HMF in which the whole plants looks pretty darn good to me. It's needs nothing in the way of spraying or pruning and is reputed to flower continuously. Mine is quite new so I can't comment on this yet. I've been collecting pollen to try on my more reliable seed parents to see what I can get Smile

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down