Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

'Test Tube Baby Love'

2 posters

Go down

'Test Tube Baby Love' Empty 'Test Tube Baby Love'

Post by Admin 26th November 2010, 13:43

"Test Tube Baby Love' is a nick name for a seedling I have that is from OP 'Baby Love' seeds sent from the U.S. that underwent embryo extraction here and grew up in a test tube-like container under aspectic conditions. I kind of like the name Wink

Anyway, this is her now... growing up nicely. Third flush of flowers since it germinated a few months back and clean as a whistle. It hasn't had a dose of fungicide since leaving the 'test tube' and is growing outside in full sun now. I will make this seedling freely available to any breeders in Australia once it is big enough to propagate from.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Pot is a 20cm pot. Won't be long before it is large enough to propagate. Flowers are, so far, single yellows. OP hips have aborted on the plant so far but maternal instincts can take a while to kick in. This seedling is very much a miniature, however, I see this little one playing a part similar to how its parent 'Baby Love' was used to make the Brindabella series.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

'Test Tube Baby Love' Empty Re: 'Test Tube Baby Love'

Post by Admin 18th October 2011, 21:24

TTBL is all grown up. She's still a mini. She's still pretty healthy but not totally clean (she gets downy mildew still) but her flowers seem to be maturing nicely Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 18th October 2011, 22:51

I'd like one Simon, don't forget me.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 18th October 2011, 23:33

There's only two plants in existence, Bruce. It strikes easily but is a bear to get pollen out of for no good reason.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 9th May 2012, 22:10

Further to our older discussions on seed Embryo extraction I had a go at it today. I was following Simons information, successes and comments with great interest. We discussed a tool to do the job. My thoughts were useing a wire stripper with 2 V crushers or opposed blades and a screw to keep the correct distance between the blades.
Well, today the wire strippers were lying on the bench left over from a previous use. Went out and picked a ripe Altissimo hip which produced various size seeds of irregular shape. The first seed broke in half and out came the embryo easy as could be. The others were more difficult but the stripper worked well. Hopefully this will make embryo extraction more attractive in the future. To be continued.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down