Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Hi guys...from Wedge

2 posters

Go down

Hi guys...from Wedge Empty Hi guys...from Wedge

Post by wedge 20th June 2010, 22:31

Hi guys. Its been ages since i posted in here. Things have been very busy in this part of the world. Crying or Very sad Our cleaning business grew and we now have our son working for us full time as well as a few part-timers. I'm also working casual for my old company whom i worked for before starting the business. My computer crashed also so i'm now running Windows7. As much as i hate to admit, i don't get as much time as i'd like to tend to my roses. Cyclone Ului rattled through here some months ago wreaking damage everywhere. Trees came down all over the place and we were without power for 3 days. Gladly, my roses came through unscathed. Unfortunately, blackspot has become a big problem as i thought it eventually would be. The original roses i bought were obviously not suited for this climate. I have to regularly spray them to keep it at bay, even in winter !! One thing i have noticed now is that my roses are doing better now than in summer. I wasn't sure what to expect during winter. Amazingly, the roses not only keep their foliage, but are growing just as strongly now than ever before. New growth is appearing every day and new flowers are continually appearing also. The biggest producer of blooms are without doubt the
Many Happy Returns of which i have two. If you can remember, i had problems early in the piece with Angel Face (climber). I still have it in a pot and it produces the loveliest blooms that are very sweet smelling !! As you would expect, rose eating bugs are a problem up here but i'm starting to live with those...even the leaf-cutter bees !! Papa Meilland (climber) has been my biggest performer to date but hasn't bloomed yet. I planted it in the same place when i removed Angel Face when it wasn't doing too good. Papa Meilland has grown the full length of my carport and over halfway round the 2nd side since Aug. last year. Anyway guys, that just about wraps me up. We head off to NZ on Wed. of this week for 3 weeks of R&R. In Oct. i'm heading to the USA for 4 weeks for some more of that R&R !! While i'm there, a good friend in Texas is going to take me to a town nearby where they grow heaps of roses, so i'm looking forward to that one. Take care. Cheers....Dave.
wedge
wedge

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2009-09-29

Back to top Go down

Hi guys...from Wedge Empty Re: Hi guys...from Wedge

Post by Admin 20th June 2010, 22:39

G'Day Mate, good to see you back around again. I was only thinking tonight that we hadn't seen you around for a while Smile

How hardy has 'many happy Returns' been for you? Have you had to spray it as well?

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge 20th June 2010, 23:24

Yes Simon, i've had to spray it. The blackspot seems to come and go from just about every rose. First this one, and then that one, but at no time do i ever get rid of it. I also get a bit of white scale but that is usually quickly fixed. I have taken advice from the people on this forum and have resisted pruning the roses as none of them are a year old yet. Ocassionally i get a cane that starts to grow in an unwanted direction, so i simply tie it back to my trellis when it gets long enough. The result is i usually get a heap of new growth on the outside or "pressure" side of the bend. Pegging i think you call it ?? I'm also mulching a fair bit. As fast as i put mulch on the gardens, it quickly disappears. I think i can safely say that my garden has worms !! Lol.
wedge
wedge

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2009-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down