Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Cemetery Roses

+8
Bemo
orchid40
Alee
wedge
Billndee
Admin
The Lazy Rosarian
rosemeadow
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Cemetery Roses Empty Cemetery Roses

Post by rosemeadow 8th October 2009, 03:38

Here are two roses I have founnd recently in cemetries and which I will be keeping my eyes on.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Cemetery Roses Empty Re: Cemetery Roses

Post by rosemeadow 8th October 2009, 03:53

Some close ups of the first cemetery rose.

What type of rose do you think it is, everyone ?
I will get close ups of the other rose next time.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 8th October 2009, 06:25

Karen are they in our area. I would have said with the first one, maybe a rugosa, after seeing close up, it is definitely of older origin. The second from the distance looks a bit like Dorothy Perkins growth, keep your eye on the smaller one, I like it.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8th October 2009, 09:16

I often frequent the Springvale Crematorium, love it up there with it's 30,000 plus roses Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 8th October 2009, 12:41

Next time you go, DO NOT go without secateurs, Cheryl.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8th October 2009, 14:47

Shocked cant do that affraid

here have a look in here

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 8th October 2009, 20:47

Cheryl, as you are the one that could get gold out of Fort Knox, do you want me to explain in steps how you do it.

1. Ask the gardener first and smile when doing it.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 8th October 2009, 21:50

Leaves look Gallica-like, or Damask-like... but it's hard to tell from the photos. Was there any evidence of suckering around it. The leaves look very similar to the ones on my 'Leda', the "Tuscany" I got from Dee (note the double quotes as there was some doubt about its real identity, and the unknown rose sucker I dug up from in Don, near Devonport which I also assume is one some kind of Gallica or Damask at this point in time. One of the buds from the 'Tuscany Superb' you sent me last year Karen, has just burst and has begun to grow and also shows similar leaves. The leaves are also similar to the leaves of the 'MME Plantier' (not a true Alba.. listed in HMF as a hybrid Noisette) I got from Dee and similar to the leaves of 'MME Hardy' (Alba/Damask)... so I think this is the kind of group to start looking in when flowers begin appearing.

Dorothy Perkins is a rambler with long lax canes that collapse on themselves when grown without support once they get long. Mine has support and still collapses on itself when the canes are only 2ft long. Text-book rambler it is.

Be interesting to see the flowers as they appear.

This is the leaves of the unknown Gallica/Damask etc sucker I dug up for comparison:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 8th October 2009, 22:03

Thanks for your comments. I was thinking Gallica, Damask as a wild guess etc but I haven't walked around my garden comparing leaves etc. I have a bad headache from staying on the computer all night nearly last night going through and deleting photos as well as going here. Have to head off to Sydney in the morning early so I will say goodnight now and come back here on the week end. I hope I get rid of my seld induced headache overnight..

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 8th October 2009, 22:07

Simon would you mind posting some ID pics of your Tuscany Superb please? I would like to compare them witha bush I have that I was told is Tuscany Superb but I have my doubts.

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 8th October 2009, 22:19

Yep... no worries Dee... I'll let it get a little more size on and then post some more mature leaves Thumbsup it's not much more than small shoots at present.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge 9th October 2009, 17:09

I've been reading this topic now with some interest and have a question to ask (not again i hear you ask !!) At the moment i'm keeping myself busy just learning about the basics of growing roses but then i thought, if ever an opportunity comes up to be able to get a cutting, i'd love to know how. If i found an old rose up here that has withstood the ravages of time, it may well be the type of rose that i'm looking for as i know it is probably well suited for the climate up here. Could some kind and generous soul try to explain what is involved in taking a cutting ?? Things like, what part of the rose do you take the cutting, how long should it be, do you leave some leaves on, how do i keep it moist for the trip home, etc etc etc. Also, what type of tools should i have handy to do the job. If i can find an answer to these questions, i'll endeavour to carry these in the car at all times as you never know when an opportunity will pop up. Thanks.
wedge
wedge

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2009-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 9th October 2009, 23:34

Hi Wedge. Just have your scecateurs in the car. You take cuttings after the bloom has finished and you cut below a shoot. Around that area is where all the natural rooting hormones are. I will tell you more tomorrow.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge 10th October 2009, 02:15

I look forward to that !! Thanks Rosemeadow.
wedge
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 13th October 2009, 23:05

Hi Wedge, I haven't had as much time on the computer lately so I am sorry for not posting again. Anyway David has told me you will be visiting us down here very shortly so I will show you when you are here.
My friend Lynette is happy for us to bring you to see her Open garden, even though it will be a week after her Open garden day. I am busy weeding and mulching now and looking forward to meeting you.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge 14th October 2009, 01:37

Thanks Rosemeadow. I'm really looking forward to meeting everybody down there. It's going to be a real eye opener and i'm looking forward to learning as much as you can teach me. I'm having a few dramas here with these hot, dry NW winds. They're really gusty at times. I have been very busy and haven't been keeping my eye on my roses as much as i normally do. Today i found quite a few broken shoots, particularly with my potted roses. I shifted them late this arvo and tomorrow morning i'm erecting some shade-cloth screens around the ones in the garden to shield them from the wind. I told my wife and she said "Oh no, not your little babies" !!! Shock
wedge
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 14th October 2009, 06:33

Wedge, if you look under each members call sign, it gives you a title as I call it, show Wendy when she is home, it won't take long and she will notice that yours will change to "addict in making" then "addict". Yes they are like babies, Wendy will only have to ask any of the members, Loopy Wendy will think you have become this.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge 14th October 2009, 08:36

I didn't have to grow roses for Wendy to suspect this....she's known for a very, very long time Roseman !!! Honestly tho, i'm already addicted....head over heels !!! Sssshhhhhhh !!!!!!! Everything i do, i tackle with a passion. My ol' dad taught me when i was a kid....do it right...do it once !!!! So it is with growing roses. I got caught unexpectedly when the wife bought this first lot of roses. If i'm going to grow roses, then i want to know how to do it properly from the start and it's folk such as yourself who will hopefully help me to that end.
wedge
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 15th October 2009, 01:05

Hi Wedge. There is a lady that grows rose near Darwin with a lot of success. She was on the ABC gardening show once, it might still be on their web site.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge 15th October 2009, 09:45

Hi Rosemeadow. I went onto the ABC site and searched but couldn't find anything. While i was in there i found a mountain of topics that i read and as a result, the morning is grinding on and i've got nothing achieved !! lol! It certainly seems a good site for my needs so i've bookmarked it. Another site i've come across is this one...
Thanks for the help !!
wedge
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by Alee 16th October 2009, 08:48

Wedge, Rosemeadow has been talking about a lady called Jenny Ward. ABC's "Gardening Australia" showed about Jenny Ward growing roses in the tropics on 28/10/2006.

Here's the link to that article on their website. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

She has been growing hundreds of roses in her garden at Berry Springs, just south of Darwin.

Jenny is also the President of the Darwin and surrounding districts Rose Society.

Here's the link to the Rose Society with contact details. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I spoke to her in 2008, she's very friendly and helpful.

Alee

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge 16th October 2009, 09:04

Thanks Alee. Nice to hear from you again !! I will most certainly follow those links. I'm hoping to meet up with Rosemeadow in a few weeks time when i visit Roseman. I can't wait and i wish you were coming too !! By the way, Angel Face, although still not well, is hanging in there. I'm starting to realise that roses can be very resiliant. We have been getting strong NW winds here lately that have played havoc with my roses and it forced me to erect a couple of screens around several of my climbers but they are all doing well with flowers everywhere !!
wedge
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge 16th October 2009, 14:53

Hi Rosemeadow and Alee. Well guys, i took your advice and tracked down the lady concerned and sent her an email. I have recieved a reply from her and she was very friendly and informative. She gave me a lot advice as to growing roses in hot climates, fertilisers, pests and diseases, flowering times etc etc. A most helpful amount of advice. To all you rose experts on here i offer this one piece of advice...move over, Dave's on the way up !!! lol!
wedge
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 18th October 2009, 15:00

Wedge, I am so pleased you have spoken with Jenny over the internet.
Alee, thanks for giving the right information to making this happen.
I a, looking forwarding to talking roses with you too Wedge.
How much area do you have to grow roses in ?

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge 18th October 2009, 16:39

Hi Rosemeadow. I'll take some phos of my yard and post them in this thread so keep watching this space. I also can't wait to meet up with you and Roseman and talk roses.
wedge
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next