Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

It's time I found out this one's real name

5 posters

Go down

It's time I found out this one's real name Empty It's time I found out this one's real name

Post by orchid40 6th October 2009, 17:57

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I've been calling it "Glorious" for too long, and it isn't, although it looks glorious.

orchid40

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2008-02-10

http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

It's time I found out this one's real name Empty Re: It's time I found out this one's real name

Post by Bemo 7th October 2009, 03:28

Val, don't wait for the postman anymore, believe you have still a 'Postillion' in your garden (if it's available overthere) Rolling Eyes but you know, there are a lot of possibilities, lets's wait what the other experts will say Hmmmm

cheers Bernhard

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

It's time I found out this one's real name Empty Re: It's time I found out this one's real name

Post by Guest 7th October 2009, 08:15

Those white things on your bud look like thrips Rant

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 7th October 2009, 10:53

The Estate wrote:Those white things on your bud look like thrips Rant

That's what I thought too Cheryl, but they don't rub off.

orchid40

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 7th October 2009, 10:59

Thanks Bernhard, I had a look at Postillion in Helpmefind, but I'm sure it's not that one. Mine has more petals and holds the blooms more upright.

orchid40

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 11th October 2009, 00:13

Can someone with 'Friesia' post some similar photos for comparison...

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 11th October 2009, 08:16

Those yellows are hard to identify. I have Fresia, Holtermans Gold and Helmet Schmitt growing here. It looks a bit deeper yellow so as Simon mentioned could be Fresia.

By the way all yellows are extremely unhealthy here due to the 'Souvenir de Claudius Pernet' used in breeding the yellows. I also have that rose growing here.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 11th October 2009, 13:17

By the way all yellows are extremely unhealthy here due to the 'Souvenir de Claudius Pernet' used in breeding the yellows. I also have that rose growing here.

Getting OT a bit here... That's why I want to explore crosses with 'Fortune's Double Yellow'. Studies have shown that the yellow in this variety is non-foetida in origin and may be of great benefit in developing more healthy yellows. Other non-foetida yellows include 'Golden Chersonese' and Rosa xanthina... 'Golden Cheronsese' is a lovely buttercup yellow single rose (might duck out and see if mine has any flowers out yet) with tiny ferny foliage that is completely disease proof for me here... quite charming... and it sets hips for me (though I haven't tried germinating them yet). It's pollen didn't take on the crosses I did with it last season but I will try again this season to see if I can get anything to stick. Wide species crosses are what interest me most at the moment. If bracteata produces flowers this year I'm thinking some 'Golden Chersonese' pollen on it might be just the shot.

Bruce, this might be of some interest to you, from a purely rose-academic point of view. I found this quote relating to foetida a little while back and have saved it for future reference... I think it is quite telling actually and a testament to the extremes we expect our roses to perform in when they were never really intended to grow in such a way... nothing like ignoring mother nature...

Posted by Karl [email] on Thu, Nov 2, 2006
My take on the Foetida-Blackspot connection is that the species is summer dormant. The leaves aren't built for long-term survival. They are produced with enough nutrients (protein, etc.) to last a few months. But when the species is crossed with a non-summer-dormant relative, the hybrids usually don't go dormant, and the leaves run out of supplies before the end of the growing season -- leaving them very susceptible to infection.

Makes a lot of sense to me and really highlights the need to choose more compatible parents when performing crosses. So I'm hoping my 'FDY' will come good and produce flowers over the next few years (thanks again Karen Thumbsup) and see what turns up. Paul Barden is already using 'FDY' for this reason as well and I'd really like to see some of the 'FDY' crosses Karen has coming up at the moment too. I also know that, used in the right way, 'Mutabilis' can produce yellows of non-foetida origin. It is thought this is where 'FDY' got its yellow from. It's a funny yellow though as it it changes to red with age but so far I have found 'Mutabilis' difficult to work with. The seeds don't want to germinate for me and is the reason I'm trying to learn the embryo extraction method of germination to overcome these barriers in difficult to germinate seeds... will be interesting to see how things turn out...

If you have photos of Friesia, Bruce, I will post them here for you if you can email them to me.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 11th October 2009, 17:13

Thanks guys, I have Friesia, and of course it's not the one I'm trying to ID. I love Friesia, but it's a different yellow and also fragrant.

orchid40

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 11th October 2009, 21:15

Thanks Simon, that is very interesting.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose 8th September 2010, 00:36

Did you ever I.D it Val ?

cheers. Rosalie
OzRose
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down