Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

What Is Happening Your Rosie World For The Month Of October

+4
orchid40
Bemo
Carole
Admin
8 posters

Go down

What Is Happening Your Rosie World For The Month Of October Empty What Is Happening Your Rosie World For The Month Of October

Post by Guest 5th October 2009, 20:53

Shocked Shocked Shocked Now I gets your attentions I can make it shorter next month, meaning the title Suspect

So what does ever one do each day , this day of nights I should be in beds Innocent but know Thee up doin the cruising the forums Witch Doctor you never know what you might find Blah Blah Blah , anyway the reason for this post is so we have some where to say hi and well Creepy , I would like a general chatties area so we can Mushroom I read all the member stuffs , some I am familiar with , others I am not, might make it a bit more personal seeing it is just a smaller forums etc....

Perhaps Simon or Mr D can make this a sticky What a Face

Back to top Go down

What Is Happening Your Rosie World For The Month Of October Empty Re: What Is Happening Your Rosie World For The Month Of October

Post by Admin 5th October 2009, 22:08

My rosie activities today were restricted to just checking the seedlings. Got a new one up that is a cross between 'Scabrosa' and 'Peace'.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

What Is Happening Your Rosie World For The Month Of October Empty Re: What Is Happening Your Rosie World For The Month Of October

Post by Carole 5th October 2009, 22:32

Simon, my peace sets very few hips so did you use that as the pollen parent
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 5th October 2009, 22:36

It was the pollen parent Carole... my 'Peace' set a few OP hips last season but so far the seeds have not germinated. It's not the ideal parent, given its liking for blackspot (Rolling Eyes), but I wanted to try and put yellow into the rugosa to see how it passes on. Will be interesting to see how it ends up. I also have a few seedlings up of 'Scabrosa' x 'Gold Coin'. 'Gold Coin' is a Mr Moore yellow/gold miniature so will be watching this one carefully too. When I write the parents of a cross I always do them the same way... the seed parent always comes first followed by the poolen parent. This is an initernational naming convention so that people know what you are talking about when you state the parentage of a particular cross. I only used 'Scabrosa' as the seed parent last season because it sets much larger hips than most roses do. I got 92 seeds from one hip last season.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 5th October 2009, 22:59

This year I did a lot of open pollinated Bonica and some Bonica X Camp David.
I have a small forest of Bonica and some of the crosses it will be interesting to see how they turn out.
My op Heritage are still alive so this year I will cross it with something else , not sure what yet.
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo 6th October 2009, 02:56

amongst other things:
as the harvesting date of hips is not far away, I have to watch about my last 3 crossed hips, daily examinig them.
I also will have a look in the public green and somewhere else, what I can 'find' Innocent
some nearly ripe fruits of 'sea foam' already turned me on Wave

cheers Bernhard

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6th October 2009, 08:16

The only hips I get are on the climbers as by the end of the season I cant reach that far to dead head, Simons knows I love dead heading lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 6th October 2009, 11:35

Not much happening workwise in the rosebeds ATM. Checking for thrips, blackspot etc, and waiting for all those promising buds to open!

orchid40

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2008-02-10

http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 6th October 2009, 11:42

Hi,
we're suffering the depredations of rabbits and brushtails possums at the moment. My front rose bed is chewed to billy-o. I may lose some roses this year from the results of last summer's sunburn on the stems, and the feral monsters that have invaded here.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 6th October 2009, 12:07

Oh Barbara - that s so disappointing. If it ain't one thing it's t'other though. That's what you learn when you try to grow roses!
I do hope you get some blooms to cheer you up eventually.

orchid40

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 7th October 2009, 18:52

Today... realising that my prediction of a bad blackspot year is coming to fruition... lots of fast grown fresh growth is starting to spot here already before a flower is open. Let's hope they get it out of their system quickly Rolling Eyes

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 8th October 2009, 16:10

Yep, it's here too Sad In spite of me starting the spraying before it appeared Tantrum

orchid40

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 9th October 2009, 08:29

Oh no Val, I have not seen any as yet. That is so sad about your roses Barb. night have to set a few possum traps Rant I am hoping to spay again on SUnday, out 1st forcasted day of NO rain flower

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 9th October 2009, 21:09

Here in the wet, cold, deep south I am watching the roses grow leaves and more leaves. The growth looks very lush. There is just a little touch of BS here and there but I have given them all a fungicide spray as i expect it is incubating.
There are a few early (for me) flowers on Pierre de Ronsard, Abraham Derby and Leonarde da Vinci.
They have had some fertilizer thrown at them. Bill did that because my back has gone on strike and I need a stick to walk.
I buy Nitrophoska because it is cheaper than Sudden Impact. I apply it at 75% the weight of SI because it is stronger. 100gm of SI is equal in strength to 75gm of Nitrophoska and is cheaper per kilo. Rusticana is the same. I don't know why everyone raves about SI being the only fertilizer to use. Does someone want to tell me? Nicely?
I am pleased with the little Tea roses I bought. Duchess de Brabant in particular is still timy but is loaded with flower buds.

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 10th October 2009, 07:31

Dee, before I buy any plant food or fungicide and the like I always read the ingredients. Sudden Impact sounds better than Nitrophoska, I use in the vineyard at a different blend to you I think. Dee if your interested type in Mr Google, Nitrophoska and see some of its blends, hope you do not need the stick for long as summer is on the way and work to be done Very Happy
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 10th October 2009, 10:54

I use Sudden Impact because I can get it really cheap through the Rose Society. They have an arrangement with Neutrog I think.
I've never used any other specific rose fertiliser to compare with it.

orchid40

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 12th October 2009, 12:22

I finally replaced my Lamarque weeper yesterday with a seafoam Mexican Wave Lots of more blooms are opening up as well Hmmmm I want them to slow down till Cup Day Fingers Crossed

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Post by Alee 14th October 2009, 15:30

My roses have been very much neglected in the past 2-3 months. They've got black spot, spider mites and thrips. Last two weeks I've started spraying them with a herbal fungicide and a herbal insectidie. I've also applied some diluted seaweed extact and some fertiliser as well. The plants have started to respond with some new shoots and buds.

Alee

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down