Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Roses for banks (for Abbi)

2 posters

Go down

Roses for banks (for Abbi) Empty Roses for banks (for Abbi)

Post by Admin 23rd August 2009, 12:24

Abbi wrote:Talking of banks, recent earthworks at our place have created a sizeable one to be covered.

Any suggestions for roses or other fast growing things to grow with roses?The bank is a mix if small rocks and impoverished clayey subsoil, that appears to be reasonably well drained.

Can I just dig "pockets" in the bank to fill with good soil and compost, or do we need to cover the entire surface with good topsoil?

Will the purple rambler/climber you mentioned, be good there, Simon?
(sorry i'm getting off the subject a bit, coz i know that isn't a DA.)

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Roses for banks (for Abbi) Empty Re: Roses for banks (for Abbi)

Post by Admin 23rd August 2009, 12:38

'I've only just got 'Violette' Abbi so I can't comment on how good it would be as a ground cover type rambler. Roses don't mind a bit of clay so I reckon you could get away with planting some varieties straight in the clay with normal mulching and manures as a cover. There are a lot of different ground cover roses coming out lately. I'm raising a few 'Red Flower Carpet' seedlings myself this year (about 3 are up so far) and hope to do some more deliberate crosses with them this year to try for blends and stripes in the groundcover range. I've got a new one for me called 'Summer Evening' that is a rich red semi-double that I'm growing in a pot for now (I was thinking large hanging basket type pot at some stage). I've got groundcover roses in white (double), yellow (very double), orange (double), fire engine red (double), deep dark red (single), candy pink (double), light pink (double), baby pink (single), pink with a white eye (single taller shrub-like rose).... the only 'Flower Carpet' ground cover rose I haven't got is the coral pink one because I find the colour insipid... so if you are looking for something like these you are welcome to try some cuttings (they strike really easily) of each to spread out and make a bank of colour. Groundcover is a bit of an stretch in terminology as far as I am concerned for a lot of these 'groundcover' roses. Some will stay very low but the 'Flower Carpet' type 'groundcovers' will, if allowed, reach small shrub proportions. I like to keep mine quite small an mounded, no more than 3ft tall but every year they throw out long rambler type leaders that are VERY thorny.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Abbi 24th August 2009, 13:48

Oh Yes please, Simon.

I'd love to try some cuttings. the thorny leaders are not a problem as its not a bank that will be walked on, and thorny growth may even slow up the furry nocturnal visitors!

Abbi

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down