Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Thomas' Order

+2
muscovyduckling
The Lazy Rosarian
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Thomas' Order - Page 2 Empty Re: Thomas' Order

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 4th September 2014, 17:37

Gary, can you tell me much about these two Souv de Pierre Notting and William A Richardson, if you notice they appear to be yellow in colour.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 4th September 2014, 22:48

Yeah I have a thing about yellow roses also but don't seem to have a lot.

Souv de Pierre Notting is a "reasonably" common tea found in gardens in SA and WA. According to the Tea Ladies it strikes easily and thus was spread between the gardens. I have one that Bruce Treloar sent up to me but it is still too small to do any cuttings from so I thought I would get another while it was on sale.

William Allan Richardson is a seedling from Rev d'or. It is a typical Noisette though ours is in such a bad location it does not flower as much as it should (and did when it was younger). Our new one will be planted in a lot better location so it should do a lot better.

Claire Jacquier is also a yellow Noisette but it only flowers once but it certainly does flower. Lovely pale yellow flowers with a nice perfume. It is quite rampart with its growth and as mentioned this is to replace one which has to be cut back and shifted and may not recover

Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 4th September 2014, 22:55

Rosebud.

We also received the notice yesterday so they should make it tomorrow, if not it will be early next week.

Yes the Caloundra B store also had them. It also was selling the Comtesse de Labarthe (under the local name "Montville Rose") which is a bit of a surprise. Not sure where they got them.

Manawee Garden Centre at Buderim had some teas there for a while. They were cutting grown and propagated by Council's Chief Environmental Officer who was working there part time

Did you order any plants from Misty before the sale?
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 5th September 2014, 11:02

Thanks, Balinbear - try to resist buying locally unless I'm sure of the rose label now. I order annually from Misty D's as their roses seem to be the healthiest and most reliable after trialling a couple of other on-line rose growers from down south. My pre-sale order this year included more Teas, (Rozette Delizy, Dr Grill, Rubens, Marie Lambert); Hybrid Musks (Autumn Delight, Ballerina, Pax, Nur Mahal, Cornelia)to form 2 hedges; the Noisette, William Allen Richardson and Clark's Ciscelly Lascelles. So their sale list was very helpful in supplementing my earlier order.
rosebud
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 27th September 2014, 07:34

Balinbear wrote:
rosebud wrote:A great resource of information and pics of Alister Clark roses here.  Was very excited to see from Balinbear's post of 2010 that Ciceily Lascelles does well up here as I've just planted her opposite Lorraine Lee to climb a large arch and mingle in the middle.  Great work!

They did well for a couple of years but over the last couple of years not so good. We have noticed that a lot of Alister's roses that we have had have lost vitality after a couple of years. Many have been pulled out. Could be our soil or the lack of fertilizer. We certainly don't feed as much as we should but this does not affect some roses (the older types Tea, Chinas etc).

I suspect they, like David Austin's and most modern roses need feeding all year round (in our soil anyway). I guess that is the price we are paying. Like resistance to pests etc, if you are after the perfect flower (or what a lot of people think is perfect) you need to spend time and money to keep it that way. Unfortunately with the number of roses we have we have neither the time or money to do this.

Did you get you Mistydowns order from the sale? Ours has been posted so they should arrive today or tomorrow.

Of course just when I open my big mouth and say how bad something is going................................

Ciceily Lascelles (Yesterday morning)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 4th October 2014, 19:52

Catching up after trip away to visit new granddaughter ... gorgeous pic of C.Lascelles ... perfect with the blue tripod - might pinch that idea!! Wink
rosebud
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2