Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Spring has sprung, the weeds has ris….

+5
The Lazy Rosarian
Ausrose
SueH
neptune
Debbie G
9 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Spring has sprung, the weeds has ris…. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spring has sprung, the weeds has ris….

Post by Ausrose 6th September 2014, 03:24

John I commit the rosarians mortal sin of using Roundup in my rose beds when it comes to nutgrass. It works but it's fraught with danger. I don't spray it on I very carefully paint it on. I definitely don't recommend this method to the inexperienced.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Spring has sprung, the weeds has ris…. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spring has sprung, the weeds has ris….

Post by Balinbear 6th September 2014, 19:25

As I have posted many times, I use roundup to control weeds at our place using a 15 litre back pack and not covering up plants etc and have never had any problems apart from the time I sprayed some small azaleas that were buried in long grass (even then it did not kill them). Its good for the stuff that grows through mulch or in areas where the mulch has thinned out or in new gardens.

I am not suggesting that spraying roses with the stuff is safe only that I have not encountered any problems spraying around them.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 7th September 2014, 13:06

I'm going to try cardboard with mulch on top to kill my weeds. I'm out in the garden today - I'm stuck at home with a sick doggie and it's sunny outside, so I'm getting stuck in. But I've just given the garden a good old eyeball and realised I won't be able to get all the weeds out by hand before they start growing back. Hope it works. If it doesn't, at least my soil will be a bit better.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 8th September 2014, 12:57

Zoe, you can also use newspaper.  The worms love a good read too!! Very Happy

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 8th September 2014, 14:34

Ha Sue - do they prefer a right wing political commentary, or a shock jockey/light entertainment news combo? Because I can get The Age or The Herald Sun from work. Might even be able to rustle up The Financial Times from upstairs if they're that way inclined.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 8th September 2014, 15:07

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]..  Zoe your avatar reminds me of a nursery rhyme. "Oh! Grandma.....what big teeth you have......"  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 8th September 2014, 16:00

Ha thanks John! Thought it was about time I organised an avatar. 

That's my greyhound Ted. He's more of a goose than a wolf, but I'll tell him you said that so he can feel tough for a while Smile
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 8th September 2014, 19:12

In another thread somewhere I mentioned that "thread jacking" is permissible if it has to do with animals, them are the Spring has sprung, the weeds has ris…. - Page 2 830934684
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 8th September 2014, 20:58

roseman wrote:In another thread somewhere I mentioned that "thread jacking" is permissible if it has to do with animals, them are the Spring has sprung, the weeds has ris…. - Page 2 830934684  

Hmmmmm.......I will get Zoe to tell Grandpa Ted that he is not an animal.......then I will book you in to see a vet psyche...... Shocked
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 9th September 2014, 07:59

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 9th September 2014, 11:26

You have not being listening to the weather reports here, Doug.....cold....overcast....storms/gale force winds....... and I like the heat....
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 9th September 2014, 13:19

John I don't think the carrier pigeons have been getting through.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 9th September 2014, 14:05

I will send you my personal carrier.....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 9th September 2014, 15:49

Wot's 'is name John - Percy?!

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 13th September 2014, 21:56

No roses flower in this photo but the azaleas and wisteria looked great fro the verandah this morning.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 14th September 2014, 00:07

That they do, Gary....
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 14th September 2014, 00:10

Code:
SueH wrote:Wot's 'is name John - Percy?!

Doogie........ Smile
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 14th September 2014, 10:08

I love your wisteria! But it's a bit too frightening for me to grow here! Has it ripped down any arbours yet?
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 14th September 2014, 12:46

Zoe, it(Wisteria) can be trained as a standard, we made two for our D in Law. They also come in pink and white.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 14th September 2014, 13:14

muscovyduckling wrote:I love your wisteria! But it's a bit too frightening for me to grow here! Has it ripped down any arbours yet?

No the one in the photo has been there for about 15 years.

We have another on round the back that is more or less a stand type of thing (see the Do it yourself section on here). We also have a Mme Lambard growing behind it and the two stage a never ending battle to see which can grow and flower the best. The Mme Lambard is up about 5 metres high in places and grows through the Wisteria. The Wisteria is a dark on and looks great with the dark pink flowers of the rose poking through.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 15th September 2014, 12:53

Oh yeah, I've seen them trained as standards, and with three different kinds sort of twisted around to make the trunk bit. Looks cool!

I will try to find your pics Gary in the DIY section.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 15th September 2014, 16:07

Oh Gary...Just like my garden!!  ....... I wish! LOLOL  I used to love Wisteria until I had a neighbour who had one growing near my fence!!!!  The roots caused me many headaches and strangled plants on my side of the fence!  Censored

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 15th September 2014, 21:25

Haha Gary, I will post a pic of my azaleas tomorrow for a hilarious comparison Smile
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 16th September 2014, 23:02

muscovyduckling wrote:Oh yeah, I've seen them trained as standards, and with three different kinds sort of twisted around to make the trunk bit. Looks cool!

I will try to find your pics Gary in the DIY section.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 18th September 2014, 14:00

Well Done Gary!  Wonderful idea.  Will have to have a go or persuade my son too!  Thank you!

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next