Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Spring has sprung, the weeds has ris….

+5
The Lazy Rosarian
Ausrose
SueH
neptune
Debbie G
9 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Spring has sprung, the weeds has ris…. Empty Spring has sprung, the weeds has ris….

Post by Debbie G 24th August 2014, 10:08

Barrow loads of weeds to the chooks, barrow loads of compost to the garden, digging holes for new roses - I'm thinking of Charles Warner this morning: "What a man needs in gardening is a cast-iron back, with a hinge in it." (My Summer in a Garden, 1870)
How right he was, for women too, but isn't it great to have this lovely spring weather and be able to enjoy getting outside and dirty again!

Debbie G

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Spring has sprung, the weeds has ris…. Empty Re: Spring has sprung, the weeds has ris….

Post by neptune 24th August 2014, 11:27

Did you say SPRING!.......[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Spring has sprung, the weeds has ris…. Empty Re: Spring has sprung, the weeds has ris….

Post by SueH 24th August 2014, 16:22

Yep! 21 degs here.  Just thank your lucky stars you aren't in the UK;  in this "heat", they all have their swimming gear on!  Shivering

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie G 24th August 2014, 18:10

Poor Neptune! Spring is coming, it just hasn't got over your way yet. 21 deg here too!

Debbie G

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 25th August 2014, 04:08

The dark side does have its advantages.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 25th August 2014, 13:08

Of course Doug, we are always in front of the "other" side!  Laughing

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 25th August 2014, 13:54

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 26th August 2014, 18:44

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 26th August 2014, 19:46

Ausrose wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

mum, taught us boys knitting when we were in primary school....that came to a halt when Dad found out when we started darning his holy socks...... OMG!!!
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 27th August 2014, 08:54

Weeds are always a problem but since I started using a dutch hoe they are far less of a problem. Also since the advent of the rotary lawnmower invented by Australian Mervyn Victor Richardson in 1952 weeds in flat areas haven't been a problem and these areas have been easily turned into lawns. Prior to 1955 when my dad purchased his first Victa lawnmower from his winnings on the 1955 Melbourne Cup we always had  sheep in the yard to keep the weeds and grass down as did many others did in the small country town in which I lived. Generally sheep are prettry dumb only we had one in 1962 that was very clever he saw the light.

"and crossed over to the dark side"

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 27th August 2014, 12:17

Well done Doug, we need more converts.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 27th August 2014, 12:31

I lived on acreage property for a while.  We were advised to get some sheep - four - to help keep the grass down in the paddock.  "Someone" who shall remain nameless, left the gate open and they got into my garden and ate roses, orchid etc.  When I came home - well,,,,, I'll leave that to your imaginations!!!  Not Happy Jan!!  OMG!!! Spring has sprung, the weeds has ris…. 17686032

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 27th August 2014, 13:00

Ausrose wrote:
Weeds are always a problem but since I started using a dutch hoe they are far less of a problem. Also since the advent of the rotary lawnmower invented by Australian Mervyn Victor Richardson in 1952 weeds in flat areas haven't been a problem and these areas have been easily turned into lawns. Prior to 1955 when my dad purchased his first Victa lawnmower from his winnings on the 1955 Melbourne Cup we always had  sheep in the yard to keep the weeds and grass down as did many others did in the small country town in which I lived. Generally sheep are prettry dumb only we had one in 1962 that was very clever he saw the light.

"and crossed over to the dark side"

Was that serving for six, Sir!.....[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 3rd September 2014, 19:28

Please explain ... "Weeds are always a problem but since I started using a dutch hoe they are far less of a problem..."

Ausrose, I know I can look this up on Google, but how is a 'dutch hoe' different from your 'run of the mill' garden hoe? I have to restrain my husband from using herbicides, so I'd love to find an efficient mechanical weeder.
rosebud
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 3rd September 2014, 20:42

rosebud wrote:Please explain ...        "Weeds are always a problem but since I started using a dutch hoe they are far less of a problem..."  

Ausrose, I know I can look this up on Google, but how is a 'dutch hoe' different from your 'run of the mill' garden hoe?  I have to restrain my husband from using herbicides, so I'd love to find an efficient mechanical weeder.  

This one works well.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]... Innocent
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 3rd September 2014, 21:00

Dutch Hoe

You place the blade flat on the ground and push the hoe forward.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 4th September 2014, 12:44

Get a rake handle and some of that builders strap and make a loop (about 100mm diameter)with the strap and attach it to the end of the handle. Flatten out the loop and you have a great weed weapon.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 4th September 2014, 15:59

Oh Dear!   Now we're on a building site!  Gary, please would you be kind enough - or anyone!! - to tell me what is "builder's strap? Dunno

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 4th September 2014, 16:46

Aha ... as I thought - all entail lots of hand hoeing. Not great for a bung back. Neutral
rosebud
rosebud

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 4th September 2014, 17:08

SueH wrote:Oh Dear!   Now we're on a building site!  Gary, please would you be kind enough - or anyone!! - to tell me what is "builder's strap? Dunno

Builders Strap...[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 4th September 2014, 23:00

neptune wrote:
SueH wrote:Oh Dear!   Now we're on a building site!  Gary, please would you be kind enough - or anyone!! - to tell me what is "builder's strap? Dunno

Builders Strap...[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Yep that's the stuff. I used to use these all the time. Lee's father gave us a couple of fancy things to use (including a Dutch hoe) on the weeds but the mulching (and the roundup) has reduced the hand hoeing considerably. Not sure what happened to our last home made one. its probably buried under some mulch in the garden somewhere. If I have a spare handle in the shed I will make one u and post a photo.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 5th September 2014, 10:53

Your home-made builder's strap tool looks like it could be very effective Balinbear... But I agree, mulching, especially sheet mulching, is my favourite weed suppresser - also builds up the soil nicely ... worms love it
rosebud
rosebud

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 5th September 2014, 13:01

Thank You Gary!  I'll look forward to seeing the finished product, then I can make one - hopefully!! Hmmmm Idea

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 5th September 2014, 19:57

Mulch doesn't suppress weeds that grow from bulbs e.g. nutgrass, onion weed etc.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 5th September 2014, 21:15

Ausrose wrote:Mulch doesn't suppress weeds that grow from bulbs e.g. nutgrass, onion weed etc.

Too true , Doug.......the previous owners of this house planted these cottage garden flower types from bulbs....they have strappy green leaves and a centre long flower stalk. The trouble is that the bulbs multiply so easy. Even Zero does not have that much effect on them......wish I could find something that is a one shot killer..... scratch
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next