Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Bah. Kathleen Harrop has mildew. What shall I do about this?

+2
maree
muscovyduckling
6 posters

Go down

Bah. Kathleen Harrop has mildew. What shall I do about this? Empty Bah. Kathleen Harrop has mildew. What shall I do about this?

Post by muscovyduckling 12th December 2013, 21:01

So I've had roses for a week and I'm already having problems! Haha. Kathleen Harrop has powdery mildew already and I haven't even had time to put her in the ground yet!

I am quite grumpy at her. So she doesn't get to go over the water tank.

I will put her somewhere where she gets morning sun. But what shall I do to get rid of the mildew? I have read lots of recipes for a baking soda spray, but also lots of posts saying that this burned the rose.

I'd prefer not to use chemicals because I already smoke a pack a day and there's only so much poison my body can take.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Bah. Kathleen Harrop has mildew. What shall I do about this? Empty Re: Bah. Kathleen Harrop has mildew. What shall I do about this?

Post by maree 12th December 2013, 21:33

Is the water tank in the shade Muscovy ?
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Bah. Kathleen Harrop has mildew. What shall I do about this? Empty Re: Bah. Kathleen Harrop has mildew. What shall I do about this?

Post by Balinbear 12th December 2013, 22:08

Not much stops it so you learn to live with it or you toss the plant
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 12th December 2013, 22:32

wash it off with the hose jet
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 13th December 2013, 06:29

Have a look at this link Zoe, as you do not want to use chemicals. I think the surface area of the leaf covered with something acidic will help. In the vineyard we use a commercial preparation with phosphoric acid in it.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 13th December 2013, 06:40

Ignore it? It's basically the warm days/cool nights at present. It'll pass... Wink
I agree with Gary/Balinbear.
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 13th December 2013, 08:26

Haha ok folks. I will squirt it with a hose, and if that doesn't work I will try the milk spray. If that doesn't work I will ignore it and see what happens.

Maree, the water tank gets some dappled sun in the early morning, then some direct sun from abOut 11am until about 2pm, then shade.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 14th December 2013, 11:41

Muscovy , i'm a lazy sprayer now and tend to ignore mildew and BS , they used to drive me nuts and i spent heaps of money trying to eradicate them ,without a whole lot of success and now i just foliar spray with Seasol every two weeks and hope for the best , although i hate those pump action spray pumps with a passion they always seem to block up ..
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 14th December 2013, 11:55

Lol maree, as I only have one rose affected I will just use a little squirty bottle!
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 14th December 2013, 12:30

Bah. Kathleen Harrop has mildew. What shall I do about this? 4118800704 
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 14th December 2013, 13:04

maree wrote:Muscovy ,, although i hate those pump action spray pumps with a passion they always seem to block up ..

maree.....get yourself a funnel and a old panty hose/ stocking. Put stocking over funnel....shake up your seasol.........pour into your pump up sprayer....no blockages.......
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 14th December 2013, 17:05

Oh beauty Neptune , i've spat the dummy with quite a few of those pumps , could never work out why they keep blocking up , thanks ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 22nd December 2013, 15:31

Well I squirted her with the hose but she still has mildew. I will try milk spray next and let you all know how that goes.

On a more positive note, I think she likes her new home, and she is making lots of flowers for me.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 22nd December 2013, 15:37

hose it off again, Zoe....
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 22nd December 2013, 16:26

Any chance of a photo and direction of sun up/down ?
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 22nd December 2013, 16:52

Erm I don't know how to put photos on here David.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 24th January 2014, 08:28

Just thought I would report back that the ol' "squirt with water, and if that doesn't work squirt her again" method seems to have worked quite nicely. Unfortunately her flowers got a bit cooked last week in the hot weather, but other than that she is doing fine. Thanks everyone for your help Smile
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 25th January 2014, 06:39

muscovyduckling wrote:Erm I don't know how to put photos on here David.

Hi Zoe, I have PM'd you on this matter
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down