Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Help ~ Major Invasion of Christmas beetles

+7
AutumnDamask
paulh
neptune
The Lazy Rosarian
maree
silkyfizz
hariet~rose
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Help ~ Major Invasion of Christmas beetles - Page 2 Empty Re: Help ~ Major Invasion of Christmas beetles

Post by silkyfizz 12th December 2013, 22:24

It sure was a surprise to me that they can do so much damage. But as long as it's only a few on hot summer nights, I'll just let them be I think. All part of the food chain, birds probably love them. On the other hand when it comes to huntsman spiders, food chain be damned! They die! Lol.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Help ~ Major Invasion of Christmas beetles - Page 2 Empty Re: Help ~ Major Invasion of Christmas beetles

Post by maree 12th December 2013, 22:46

Yep , you're probably right Silky , but put white tail spiders on the extinction list , i'm terrified of them ...
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 12th December 2013, 23:10

Yeah forgot about them Maree, they get zapped (if I ever see one). If they can lay low a horse so it's at death's door, like poor Black Caviar's brother, what hope do we puny humans have? And those orb weaving spiders that sit in the middle of the huge webs they spin across the path so I walk into it. Urggghhh! Gives me the willies just thinking about it.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 12th December 2013, 23:14

Shudder , shudder , shake , shake  Creepy 
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 13th December 2013, 06:36

It's not the Whitetail's fault, it is what they eat which is the problem, Daddy longlegs which has the poison.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 13th December 2013, 06:46

The Daddy Long Legs thing is an urban myth...
Huntsmans are our friends... Very Happy
Orbweavers in the dark.... ARRRGGGHHHHH yes.
Whitetails.... hmmm... a lot of bites are erroneously attributed to them I suspect. "It got infected - it had to be a whitetail".
Caviar's brother - if the news was to be believed it was actually the reaction to the ANTIBIOTIC that caused the major problems.... (I suspect they still had the horse on a high-octane ration and the lovely antibiotic probably zapped the good gut flora. Asking for trouble....)
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 13th December 2013, 11:29

Autumn, you are a true environmentalist by the sound of things. You can have all my huntsmen and other 8 legged crawlers that give me the creeps.
One I forgot, which puts the fear of god into me, is the wolf spider. It lives in the garden, often underground and is aggressive. Bites can become gangrenous. I've only disturbed one in my years of gardening. It stood up on its hind legs and wanted to have a go! Who do you think won? Lol. Always good to have the protection of gloves but these horrors can pierce ordinary type gardening gloves if they mean business.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 13th December 2013, 19:50

silkyfizz wrote:Autumn, you are a true environmentalist by the sound of things. You can have all my huntsmen and other 8 legged crawlers that give me the creeps.
One I forgot, which puts the fear of god into me, is the wolf spider. It lives in the garden, often underground and is aggressive. Bites can become gangrenous. I've only disturbed one in my years of gardening. It stood up on its hind legs and wanted to have a go! Who do you think won? Lol. Always good to have the protection of gloves but these horrors can pierce ordinary type gardening gloves if they mean business.

Tiger snakes standing up and chasing you. Now that's a worry.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 13th December 2013, 20:30

Oh Balinbear, that's the stuff of nightmares!  affraid 
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 13th December 2013, 21:20

Balinbear wrote:
Tiger snakes standing up and chasing you. Now that's a worry.

Brrrrrr!!!!!!

Help ~ Major Invasion of Christmas beetles - Page 2 1339033456

Help ~ Major Invasion of Christmas beetles - Page 2 2117723795 

Ours are usually Eastern Browns.
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 14th December 2013, 11:34

Don't forget Redback spiders , i absolutely freaked when i found one of those under the rim of a plastic pot and i didn't have gloves on , so far haven't seen any since , but i'm sure they are hiding somewhere , UGGGHH !!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 14th December 2013, 13:11

Under the toilet seat.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Ausrose on 14th December 2013, 16:00; edited 1 time in total

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 14th December 2013, 15:16

Funny (?) story about tiger snakes. I am a surveyor and we worked in the scrub a fair bit and I always had trouble convincing my younger brother about what a rotten and hard job it could be cutting your way through the bush.

Anyway he was unemployed for a while and I had him working with the company I was with and on this day he worked with me on a survey through some coastal swamp. He had not worked on this site before and it was not a particularly hard job but we had to walk about a kilometre into where we were working. Normally we would walk down the airport runway to save walking so far in the swamp. It was the middle of winter and the water was down a fair bit with just a few pools here and there.

Being the great brother I am and knowing how much he is afraid of snakes, (he once would not go down our front steps because there was a green tree snake seen in the area) I purposely walked into the job through the area where the pools of water were knowing full well that the area around the pools would be lousy with snakes. Despite them being really dangerous, they are usually that sleepy at that time of year that they ignore you.

Anyway I purposely loaded my brother up with as many tools, pegs etc as he could carry and led him through the swamp. As we were going through I kept pointing out the snakes to him which freaked him out a bit but the end came when we were walking along a log and I stepped off the end and stirred one up. The snake lifted its head, not in attack, more to have a look to see what is going on.

He more or less shat himself and did not want to go any further so I said okay and we went back and walked in the easier way. He never really caught onto the trick but he never again said that surveyors had an easy job.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh 15th December 2013, 00:11

Ahh Tiger snakes, no thanks, I worked many moons ago as a Bar Manager for a Golf Country Club, anyways i hated closing at night, the change rooms were always open and the snakes would often come into the wet areas of the showers when it was hot. Had many a young 2 footer become aggressive and turn and give you a bit of a hurry up. Gawd a hate snakes  affraid 
paulh
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 15th December 2013, 00:30

with 2 feet long "T" - snakes in changes rooms....I think I wouldn't be staying around long , either....... Smile
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh 15th December 2013, 00:41

neptune wrote:with 2 feet long "T" - snakes in changes rooms....I think I wouldn't be staying around long , either....... Smile

The scariest thing is finding that the baby TS about 8-10 inches long had made their way under the change room doors that opened into the foyer area, getting stressed trying to get through the glass doors, to my thinking, where their are babies, mumma isn't to far away. Then there was the walk outside in the dark to get to your car to go home. became quite stressful, so the only way to deal with it, was to have quite a few knock off drinks to deal with it lol
paulh
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 15th December 2013, 21:27

When I first started surveying we were doing a job in some swampland south of the Caloundra. We were working about an hours walk back to the truck and then an other hour to the nearest hospital.

The surveyor I was working with told me if I got bitten by a tiger to just sit down and wait to die as there is no way that I could get to a hospital in time. He then proceeded to show me the line that I had to chop out and said see you at lunchtime and then went off and left me alone.

Of cause I thought I saw snakes everywhere but in actual fact did not see a single one made it out alive.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 15th December 2013, 22:10

Goodness! I wonder what the poor creatures are saying about those pesky human beings!?? Mad Not that I think snakes are cute and cuddly (scared stiff of them actually), but sometimes I think we take our right to walk not so lightly on this earth a little too lightly!!? Apologies if I sound a little too idealistic, just trying to put forward an alternative perspective??  sunny 
rosebud
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2