Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Roses growing in Dunedin Botanic Gardens ~ Jan 2013

+2
maree
hariet~rose
6 posters

Go down

Roses growing in Dunedin Botanic Gardens ~ Jan 2013 Empty Roses growing in Dunedin Botanic Gardens ~ Jan 2013

Post by hariet~rose 28th January 2013, 16:27

Hello Rosebuds, while in Dunedin, NZ, for work last week i took time out to visit the Botanical Gardens and, of course, to inspect their roses. I have uploaded some pics below. While the gardens are beautiful and very worthy of a visit (and the rose gardens were laid out very nicely), many of their roses were suffering from BS. However I took the opportunity to photograph NZ bred roses in particular. Included are photos of Big Purple and Old Port, both NZ roses, which were being talked about on this forum before I left. My top two roses were "Outta the Blue" (a USA breed) and "Grand Prix" (Matthews, NZ)[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2012-07-23

Back to top Go down

Roses growing in Dunedin Botanic Gardens ~ Jan 2013 Empty Re: Roses growing in Dunedin Botanic Gardens ~ Jan 2013

Post by maree 28th January 2013, 19:09

Certainly looks very scenic Harriet , what did you think of Old Port ?
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Roses growing in Dunedin Botanic Gardens ~ Jan 2013 Empty Re: Roses growing in Dunedin Botanic Gardens ~ Jan 2013

Post by silkyfizz 28th January 2013, 20:53

Looks like a lovely place to spends a few hours/days in. I've never seen some of those roses, Harriet, they all look beautiful. Big Purple and Old Port I love.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 29th January 2013, 18:47

thank you Maree and Silkyfizz - yes an enjoyable couple of hours.. I was surprised to see the Old Port and Big Purple doing so well actually.. very healthy with large flowers and considering so many of the stock roses we all talk about had black spot and they didn't so much (actually Old Port did have a bit but not as much as some), i have renewed interest in planting them again here.. they actually looked quite good together as well, along with "Outta the Blue" nearby it was very eye catching... meanwhile while i was away the rain hit hard (which we needed) but have a lot of dead heading of the balled roses to do Sad
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 29th January 2013, 22:28

Good luck with all that dead heading Hariet. Do you have many roses?
Thank you for that information about Old Port and Big Purple, they are both roses I'd like to have. Can you comment on the size of these that you saw. My notes suggest OP is small, so I'm assuming it was grown in front of BP.
Also, what's the climate of Dunedin. Would it be comparable to temperate areas (eg Melbourne) or colder (eg Tas) or warmer? Thanks
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 30th January 2013, 03:50

Great Pics.National Trust flower looks so nice.Love the colours of Specks and Matawhero to.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 30th January 2013, 08:25

Very taken by your excellent in situ shots, Hariet. Those insets are GREAT. We should all do them, but it;s a time-consuimg step. Much apprecated that you made the effort.

Old Port seems to ineterst a fair few of us. Certainly has the colour du jour that appeals to a lot of us this season (and last). This rose seems to crop up a bit in breeding. Who among us here actually grows it?
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 30th January 2013, 20:30

Thank you all for the feedback.. i always worry that i am over doing it with the shots but i shouldn't worry should i because i am with kindred spirits! I use powerpoint to construct the photos and then i save each slide as a jpeg.. the time consuming part is loading them up onto this forum if truth be known.. possibly some trick i am yet to learn to make it quicker..Silky you have got me thinking about Old Port and Big Purple some more.. you know the bushes weren't large in Dunedin and actually the ones I have grown of those two weren't large either - and here i was blaming my dereliction of duties with them for their small stature.. however I should have looked after them abit better and am going to give them another go.. along with "outa the Blue" which has the pop factor from afar (a bit like Fiona's wish at the Adealide Bot gardens) they will hopefully be some acquisitions this winter.. Silky the climate in Dunedin was similar to Armidale (4 seasons in one day), cool temperate but with a maritime influence.. . i think i might have to find that matawhero Dannyboy because like you I found it very interesting... i finished the dead heading here and I have about 230 roses silky. my top balling roses from this rain was the childrens rose and red pierre Pouring Rain
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 30th January 2013, 23:04

Thanks for that Hariet. 230 roses? Phew, that's a lot of deadheading.
I hate balling, it's ugly and a waste of roses but at least the ground has replenished moisture, so they should all grow gangbusters now.
OK Old Port and Big Purple both not big. That suits me just fine, easier to find a spot for them I hope. Love their colour and form.
Good tip about using powerpoint to format pictures. I'll try to remember that. I'll look forward to seeing more of your roses in the future. You're right, never overdoing things where roses are concerned, not here anyway. Lol
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 30th January 2013, 23:25

Thats right Hariet , this is certainly a great site for learning about roses and everything to do with roses , can't overdo it here lol ....
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 31st January 2013, 01:43

I'm sorta stuck on the part where you mention 230 roses. Do you have special favourites, hariet? Multiples therof?
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 31st January 2013, 07:36

well i have a lot of singletons.. and a couple of multiple clumps (Graham thomas in one area and the childrens rose in another) but the faves vary with the week.. i am anxiously awaiting rosa bracteata to start flowering.. and last night i was quite taken with white cecile brunner, a small shrub with very elegant small flowers .. can never have too many roses (except solo Dr Hueys)!
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 1st February 2013, 06:20

hariet, from the photo's I like the form of "Speks Yellow'. "My Girl" has lovely colour. "Grand Prix" has the markings of "Just Joey", ruffled edges to the petal and the colour. Might have to check the pedigrees to these 3 I think.
As for "Fimbriata" I purchased it a couple of years ago to breed with, I have not worked out what to put it with as yet. What do they say 'work in progress'.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 1st February 2013, 07:33

hi roseman, grand prix was a tighter concoction that JJ, more like a DA, and with a great perfume. How about Fimbriata x Zephirine Drouhin? Might be lucky to get a thornless climber with carnation like flower with a great perfume.. not sure about the chromosome compatibility on that combination though
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 1st February 2013, 12:07

hariet, if I get a chance that is one I will do, what should we call it, would the name 'hariet be in it. roflmao or one closer to you.
the chromosome thing isn't my go, will ask more learned than myself.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 1st February 2013, 12:26

There are several Grand Prix roses in HMF, but here is the Matthews (hariet's) one in case anyone is baffled

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Looks like a definite candidate for the Fat Ladies file I've got going.

In light of recent comments, I was amused to see that its alternate name in South Africa is "Jealous Joey" .
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 1st February 2013, 13:51

"How about Fimbriata x Zephirine Drouhin" from hariets post.
Here is the early background to the cross
Both are triploid. Fimfriata has no known decendants, Zephirine has nine
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 1st February 2013, 17:44

aren't some of the descendants of Zd sports? Roseman (like Kathleen Harrop and Marthe) so no crossing involved...anyway triploid x triploid should give 25% diploid, 50% triploid and 25% tetraploid offspring ..but apparently (have been doing some reading) you get a deadlock or a 'rapid return to an even polyploid level' but success also depends on the types of chromosomes at play..so give it a go! and yes you can name it after me unless it looks like R. viridis Roses growing in Dunedin Botanic Gardens ~ Jan 2013 3645060545
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down