Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Red Cross versus Ekstase , which do you prefer ?

5 posters

Go down

Red Cross versus Ekstase , which do you prefer ? Empty Red Cross versus Ekstase , which do you prefer ?

Post by maree 12th January 2013, 12:40

I've got all my new roses sorted out in my head for the bare root season , except for the reds and yellows , just putting it out there , which do you prefer , for colour , health , fragrance , Red Cross or Ekstase . Valencia or Soul Mate , i know most won't have Soul Mate , but just in case . Have spent days , weeks , deciding on the combo that will fit into the garden , and have just about got it i think , finally lol , these will have to be standards , cause thats what will fit in the space i have Thanks
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Red Cross versus Ekstase , which do you prefer ? Empty Re: Red Cross versus Ekstase , which do you prefer ?

Post by dannyboy 12th January 2013, 18:16

I have got Red Cross Maree and got it this last season.Very healthy and good rebloomer and blooms a few flowers in a cluster at a time to.I think one of its parentage is 'Oklahoma' so great pedigree.

What others have you got in mind this season maree to order ?.It's so hard you make your mind up and choose a rose and then see another one and change again lol.I'm going through it now.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Red Cross versus Ekstase , which do you prefer ? Empty Re: Red Cross versus Ekstase , which do you prefer ?

Post by maree 12th January 2013, 19:07

Lol Danny , i know exactly what you mean , been driving me nuts , must have changed my mind a hundred times , but i think i've got it sorted . My selections are Fragrant Cloud , , Fionas Wish , Charles De Gaulle , Ekstase or Red Cross or Camp David , Olde Fragrance , Nahema, these i am planting .I will trial ,Soul Mate and Valencia in pots ,and Amazing Grace and Jardins in pots too and see which one i like best, AHH , there we go , done ..... had to really cull my list though , unless i win tattslotto and can buy a bigger house lol ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 13th January 2013, 09:13

Great selection Maree.I got Fragrant Cloud on my list to so much gardeners talk about it's perfume and nice flower.Camp David is another that is nice to.

Last season I got Charles De Gaulle and to be honest must say a little dissapointed.Out of all the roses it has been the slowest to grow and flower for some reason.Maybe it's just mine the plant wasnt the best quality I dont know ,but others next to it a thriveing.

I'm a bit like you need to make some room for the next alot and keep on scratching my head lol maybe another garden bed.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 13th January 2013, 10:01

Danny Charles is slow to grow and establish , i think , but when it does i think it is worth it , if you have the patience lol !!!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 17th January 2013, 07:37

hi maree,

i would go for red cross instead ekstase, i have both red cross is a better healthier and a more reliable rose with a killer scent . camp david is also a beautiful dark rose with an nice perfume
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 17th January 2013, 09:21

You know, maree, I'm sadly and with much regret going to revise my advice to you. To be really honest, Valencia is just not built to be a standard. I don't care how short you cut it back, it won't be compliant. It will always throw out super long canes in a non-shrubby vase porfile, that's just how it behaves. Like Firefighter, its DNA is pretty insistent " Hey, I'm a big girl and I reach for the sky. I laugh at your puny secateurs!"

I think Soul Mate/Julia Child is a near-perfect compact yellow for standard treatment. Like roseman's idea of getting three grafts on the shank - my god what a specimen .
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 17th January 2013, 12:48

Quote Betsy "I think Soul Mate/Julia Child is a near-perfect compact yellow for standard treatment. Like roseman's idea of getting three grafts on the shank - my god what a specimen . You will have to get in early and get this custom grafted if you proceed with this idea Maree.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 17th January 2013, 18:55

Thanks Betsy / Roseman / Jordan, i better have a talk to Finbaar , i have a standard Firefighter , and it is way too tall for a standard , i have to stake just about every cane , i think i might replace it with either Camp David or Red Cross , i read Camp David is more heat tolerant , but back to SoulMate , i'll trial it in a pot this year and hope Swanes will do me a standard next year , thanks
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 17th January 2013, 20:37

Maree, I am a dumb bugger, but if you are looking for a standard that is compact "HT'S" are out. HT's will always shoot long canes, so if you are looking for a round/compact/fragrant rose you will have to look at Floribundas IMO.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 17th January 2013, 21:00

Roseman , you are no dumb bugger thats for sure , and you are exactly right , exactly about hybrid teas but after staring at my standard rose garden for months and colours going around and around in my head , tonight in cool after a 40 degreee day , and again staring at the standard garden , its finally coming together , the roses i want to put in , will go and firefighter will stay with its stakes lol !!! Floribundas , hybrid teas , i just go for fragrance and colour but i do prefer HT's ,i do like bush floribundas for the windy front of the house , where they are much more resiliant though .....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down