Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Advice on a climbing rose please

+6
Barbara B
betsyw
The Lazy Rosarian
dannyboy
jordan71
silkyfizz
10 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Advice on a climbing rose please - Page 3 Empty Re: Advice on a climbing rose please

Post by The Estate 21st October 2012, 16:39

Here you go , full pics of red P

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The Estate
The Estate

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

Advice on a climbing rose please - Page 3 Empty Re: Advice on a climbing rose please

Post by silkyfizz 21st October 2012, 19:48

That looks just glorious Thee. What a beauty! Now you've got me thinking again. How do you find the scent? Have you find balling an issue with yours? Is it easy to train? How are the thorns?
Sorry for so many questions! confused
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 21st October 2012, 19:51

Hi Maree,
the climbing roses are on trellises 2.4M wide. One rose is planted each end of them about 60cm in from each end. The clematis are planted in between them, not in the same hole, and much deeper than you think they need to be. Clematis like to have their roots cool. I've been going through my photos trying to find a nice one, but I can't find one that shows how they're planted. I'll take a photo tomorrow.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 21st October 2012, 22:12

Oh thanks Barbara , its a project that i have wanted to do for ages , but have put it in the too hard basket , thanks again ..... The Estate , beautiful garden !!!!
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Estate 22nd October 2012, 08:09

silkyfizz wrote:That looks just glorious Thee. What a beauty! Now you've got me thinking again. How do you find the scent? Have you find balling an issue with yours? Is it easy to train? How are the thorns?
Sorry for so many questions! confused

very little scent , easy peasy to train, balling only when it gets cooler, min, thorns, a great rose Very Happy

Thanks mAREE, i SHOULD POST A FEW MORE PICS Rolling Eyes
The Estate
The Estate

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 22nd October 2012, 09:30

Silky , i had three Pieree's 2 red and 1 pink , i liked the red one best , good roses , yep easy to train , but alas no fragrance , to me a rose isn't a rose unless it has fragrance , might as well plant camellias , so i pulled em out and did plant camellias where the pink one was . i'm planting Duchess de brabant next year where the red ones were , and hopefully some clematis in between ... The Estate yes more pics ......great ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 22nd October 2012, 10:58

Thanks Thee and Maree. Yes agree about about scent but oh I love that flower form of Pierre. What to do? Will think on it. Nahema and Renae still in the mix.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 22nd October 2012, 12:06

I'ts so hard deciding isn't it , i've researched soo many roses and still came up with duds , did you see my photos of Chartruesse , Silky , hows it compare to yours , its still opening out now , just looking at it ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 22nd October 2012, 13:40

Hi,
here's a not very good photo of one of the trellis panels.
Barbara B
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Barbara B

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 22nd October 2012, 13:43

There are three different clematis here.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Back to top Go down

Post by The Estate 22nd October 2012, 18:09

silkyfizz wrote:Thanks Thee and Maree. Yes agree about about scent but oh I love that flower form of Pierre. What to do? Will think on it. Nahema and Renae still in the mix.

if you sniff hard enough on red P there is a slight hint of perfumes, I just did a sniffs tests Laughing
The Estate
The Estate

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 22nd October 2012, 19:47

Barbara your garden looks lovely. Really like the way you've staggered the panels - I'd like to try something like that here at some stage.
Maree I did see your Chartreuse but now I've lost where it was. I remember I was going to say something about the colour but need to see it again. Can you remind me which thread it was?
My CdP has fat buds but hasn't opened yet, not long now, looks pretty healthy.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 22nd October 2012, 22:41

Your trellises look really good Barbara , very clever , and looks like you have lots of room too , looks great . I have a wooden arbour which my husband built which is a metre wide ,just looking at yours , i don't think i've got enough room for a clematis and climbing rose together , might have to put rose one end , clematis the other ..... thanks .....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 22nd October 2012, 23:04

Silky , its gone , don't know where , but its gone ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 22nd October 2012, 23:06

That explains why I couldn't find it Maree. Will post a pic of mine when they open - soon!
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 22nd October 2012, 23:39

No worries Silky !!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 29th October 2012, 19:23

Hi
Here's Pierre de Ronsard today. Nearly there.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3